• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Toys R Us, Best Buy, Amazon take game trade-in

Seth

MD Party Room
Over the past week, major video game retailers such as Toys R Us, Best Buy, and now Amazon have entered the used game market. They will accept your old games, and give you in-store credit to make new purchases. This is great for gamers. It gives them more options than just Gametsop to trade-in their old games, console, and accessories. Competition leads to better deals, and reports are saying that Amazon will offer 10% more trade-in credit than Gamestop.

This is scary for Gamestop because 44% of their gross profits come from used games. If gamers, have the option to go elsewhere then many will take advantage of it. Many gamers have a not so positive view on Gamestop due to claims of the company favoring one console, hiring people who don’t know games, and most importantly many gamers feel like they get ripped off when they trade in their games. The world will never know if the first two are true, but now with all of these major companies entering the used-game industry the consumer will finally have options on where to go. Since the announcement of Amazon entering the used-game market, Gamestop stocks have dropped 14.9%!
Overall, this is great for the gamer. Amazon has already promised to offer a better trade-in value than Gamestop. This means that Gamestop will have to improve their trade-in values, and that means more money for the gamer. Unfortunately for Gamestop, this means less money will be coming into their company. Can Gamestop do something to maintain their dominance in the video game retail market, or will companies like Amazon and Best Buy take their crown? All we know for now is that more options will make gamers much happier, and keep more money in their pocket.

Gamestop has some serious competition | Real Talk From The HipHopGamer

Personally I think it nice to have more that one place to trade in your games and sometimes get better prices.

Cryox

Bro.
I am so glad that is happening. They offered me 1 freaking dollar for an Unopened. still in wrapper with price tag/security stickers... I checked the shelf, and they were selling the used copy of it for 15 to 20 dollars. Finally other companies are stepping up.

twelve

I'm not dead
There have been many places that do trade in in the UK for quite a while.

GAME - Same company as EB (EB bought them years ago).
Gamestation - Owned by GAME so same as above.
CEX - dedicated trade in shop as such has the best value for buying and selling.
HMV - only recently started doing trade in
Virtual Games - I think they went bust as I haven't seen a store for ages but used to be really good.

Sullivan

Sooo wait, I can take my PS2 and accessories for it to BestBuy?

Slasher

Suck It

CEX - dedicated trade in shop as such has the best value for buying and selling.
Virtual Games - I think they went bust as I haven't seen a store for ages but used to be really good.

Gamestop owns EB Games, eh. Or at least they operate under the same head figure.

I used to trade in games back before I had a source of income, but I haven't done it for a while now so I keep them all

Sullivan

All I wanted to do is trade in the old PS2 for Killzone 2 with some accessories, didn't cover barely 49$ of it.

twelve

I'm not dead
Gamestop owns EB Games, eh. Or at least they operate under the same head figure.
Yeah I just did some further reading on it. EB Games and GAME used to operate seperately in the UK (before Gamestation existed), then EB Games became a majority stock holder in GAME and chose to rebrand all EB stores as GAME (it was better known in the UK). Since then though GAME have bought back the stock and it's no longer owned by EB Games.

I remember hearing rumours that Gamestop wanted to buy Gamestation but GAME beat them to it.

So as it stands currently there are no US chains in the UK market.

Anyway I trade in lots of my games. If I buy a game but don't like it or complete and see no replay value I trade it in against something else. I see no reason to hold onto any games that I wont play again.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
This is nice. Personally, GameStop's trade in prices were horrible. Maybe they could do a little better now since they have more competition.

Andy

Champion of the Sun

Are CEX really that good? The only experience I have had with them was when I sold my Wii, I phoned them up and they offered me

PSP767

I wasnt aware that HMV Was doing trade in's

Sullivan

They wanted to give me 30$ USD for my PS2.
3$ For a Guitar Hero 3 Wireless guitar, wtf!