• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Sony Considers Supporting PSP Homebrew

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
789256566_1f672c76f5.jpg

There's no doubt that the homebrew scene has made quite an impact on PSP. In fact, many people consider homebrew to be one of the PSP's main selling points, even though it is not officially endorsed by Sony.

Speaking to IGN, SCEA President Jack Tretton revealed that in the future, there is a possibility that official firmware releases will support legal homebrew applications.

I think that is something that is in the works. We certainly see some of the stuff that has been done via homebrew, and it's incredibly creative. And I think we'd like to try and tap into that a little bit more

However, Dave Karraker added to Jack's statement, stating that there are some hurdles Sony will have to overcome to support homebrew on PSP, and that is figuring out how to support the new content without putting the PSP at risk.

IGN Mailbag [IGN]

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
However, Dave Karraker added to Jack's statement, stating that there are some hurdles Sony will have to overcome to support homebrew on PSP, and that is figuring out how to support the new content without putting the PSP at risk.

Meaning how to disable ISO use. I don't mind that, but here's the problem- if homebrew is officially enabled then it will either A) cause problems with people creating ISO-loading programs, which will make Sony reconsider their decision, or B) make the homebrew support very limited/crippled, which would be terrible. I just, personally, don't see 100% homebrew support by Sony, EVER.

And also, CHEWBACCA SUPPORTS HOMEBREW! WHOOOOO!

J

Junit

yeah , if chewbacca supports it , they facking better xD but if they support homebrew thats going to be awsome becuase I plan to pick up a slim PSP

Tenshigami

While that would be cool, as there'd be things like PSPRadio LEGALLY on any PSP, they wouldn't allow one of the best reasons to downgrade.

And I don't mean ISOs.

I mean emulation besides PS1. Can't and won't happen.

`Rage`

"support legal homebrew applications."

That's a big "F*CK OFF" to the best Homebrew applications created on the PSP, via GBA/N64 Emulators and so forth.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
this is stupid....."legal homebrew"?...thats practically an oxymoron...what they mean is small-time developers who would be willing to pay a small fee for licenses to develop "homebrew" games which would possibly be released through a PlayStation Network kind of system for a small fee to the end-user......

anyone else see that small problem?....

i wonder if my space invaders project would be considered "legal".....doubt it

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
"support legal homebrew applications."

That's a big "F*CK OFF" to the best Homebrew applications created on the PSP, via GBA/N64 Emulators and so forth.

not exactly... emulators technically are not illegal. In fact, there are some emulators for Xbox 360 which are sponsored through Microsoft's XNA development service. SharpNES, for example. If MS allows them, I'm sure Sony would as well.

What I would consider "illegal" are things like ISO loaders. Likely, the service would be limited to user mode though so ISO loaders wouldn't even be possible under that environment.

I mean yeah, it's nothing to really get excited over since most of us have custom firmware, but it will be interesting to see where Sony goes with this.

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
what they mean is small-time developers who would be willing to pay a small fee for licenses to develop "homebrew" games which would possibly be released through a PlayStation Network kind of system for a small fee to the end-user......

That's another thing I thought about, but forgot to put it in my first post.:mellow: That would definitely cause some problems on both ends.

not exactly... emulators technically are not illegal. In fact, there are some emulators for Xbox 360 which are sponsored through Microsoft's XNA development service. SharpNES, for example. If MS allows them, I'm sure Sony would as well.

Not to change the subject, but is it possible to get/test or whatever XNA games? Or do you have to pay that fee?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
That's another thing I thought about, but forgot to put it in my first post.:mellow: That would definitely cause some problems on both ends.

Not to change the subject, but is it possible to get/test or whatever XNA games? Or do you have to pay that fee?

Have to pay $99 a year, and then you'll have access to all XNA content.