• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Multi Mortal Kombat 9

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
So I just preordered this for the 360 and got the Tourney Edition. I'm a sucker for fight sticks.

A friend of mine that works at Sony said he played some beta versions and they felt too like the 3D versions of the game and not enough like the old 2D versions. Some recent vids show some combos that suggest they changed things according to him though.

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
at first i thought that the fight mechanics were strictly 2d (similar to sf4 and mvc3), but in one of the recent videos i saw someone dodge at an angle into the z plane (which could have been some sort of close-up thing, the clip really wasnt long enough to tell for sure), which now makes me worry. i was super pumped at all the other footage ive seen. it looks like a great game. i hope they arent just building up the thought of this great "2d" fighter just to crush our hopes with more 3d crap :argh:

Robby

Los Doyers!
I'd love to hear it as well. Haven't played a good MK game in a long, long, long, long time.

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
they released the demo yesterday for everyone. i played it quite a bit last night and its awesome. definitely gonna pick this one up :D

Hellcat

Contributor
I tried the demo that's avil. on US PSN, and I must say, I am impressed.

They said it will be like the original MKs again, and having played MK I and II on my Amiga a lot back then I can only say: They hold on to that promise!
This is SO like the old/original MK.... love it! Most likely to buy it when the final comes out.

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
Money is tight for me right now so I'll have to wait it out but this game looks super fun!

LocutusEstBorg

Just tried the demo. It's not exactly what I expected but it's still very good. I guess I'm too used to Tekken's block & punish with EWGF etc. I was hoping it would play like MK4 with the same speed. MK4 had a lot of block & punish opportunities. It looks like some characters are much faster than the others, like Mileena. She handles like an MK4 character but the other's don't.

I was so going to get the Tournament Edition but at the last minute I decided it wasn't worth spending $200 just for the artwork on the arcade stick that's only useful for one game. The Y-layout isn't ideal for Tekken.

I ordered the HRAP. V3-SA instead. If anyone's looking for an arcade stick for multiple games, this looks like the best there is right now.
Review: http://gear.ign.com/articles/107/1071903p1.html

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
It looks like some characters are much faster than the others, like Mileena. She handles like an MK4 character but the other's don't.
i noticed that as well. im a sub-zero man myself, and ive noticed while playing the demo that he is a bit slower. some of his special moves (like the ground freeze) are so slow i rarely pull them off without being interrupted. i didnt notice a significant slowdown playing with johnny cage or scorpion. im anxious to see how the rest of the characters handle.

LocutusEstBorg

Even plain punches and kicks vary in speed between characters. Johnny Cage's ordinary front kick is so slow it's useless for air counter hits. Ironic considering he has the shadow kick.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Yeah, I couldn't pull off Sub Zero's ground freeze on any of the AI in the demo. I'm a little annoyed that old combos don't seem to work either. One of the things I love about Street Fighter is that combos you learned in SFII carried all the way to SFIV.

I also don't like how the inputs for special moves have been changed for the same reason.

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
tbh i dont remember any of the combos from the previous games. maybe thats part of what they are trying to do with the reboot is to get people away from the older (and less successful) games and give them a brand new start. maybe from this point on the combos will be the same.....

as for some of the special moves, it is a bit annoying that they are changing things that have been around since the beginning, but i think its nice that they arent relying heavily on diagonal directions anymore. ive always found it difficult to nail diagonal directions on a playstation controller, especially moves that end in a diagonal direction (like "forward, down, diagonal"). i think it will be interesting to see the rest of the move lists to see how closely they followed the original games.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
This didn't need a separate thread, so I merged them.

My thoughts are that I really don't care. I'm buying a new version of the game at launch, so my pass will be included.

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
This didn't need a separate thread, so I merged them.

My thoughts are that I really don't care. I'm buying a new version of the game at launch, so my pass will be included.

np, thanks :p im buying a new copy as well, i just dont like the idea in general. as someone who buys used games (and various other used items) regularly, i dont like this trend D: