• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PC Team Fortress is now free to play

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/24/breaking-team-fortress-2-is-now-free-to-play-forever/

"Industry trade website Develop-Online has revealed in an interview with Valve’s Robin Walker that Team Fortress 2 is now permanently free to play, and will solely be supported by in-game item purchases.

TF2′s switch to F2P was rumored and expected, but perhaps not this soon. Walker says that Valve had been exploring the idea since September 2010. “We’ve been toying with the idea of making Team Fortress free-to-play ever since the Mann-conomy update,” Walker said. “The data we got back from that update leads us to believe that TF2 would be more successful as a completely free product.” Read the rest of the interview with Walker at Develop-Online.

Prior to today, Team Fortress 2 was in the middle of a “free week.” The game’s

Adiuvo

Ew is pretty much my only comment. I stopped playing it awhile back but now I really have no inkling to ever pick it up again.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Can't see any downside to this personally. I bet Valve will end up making more money through micro-transactions.

LocutusEstBorg

Ew is pretty much my only comment. I stopped playing it awhile back but now I really have no inkling to ever pick it up again.

Why did you stop? I was thinking of starting to play this seriously but the whole thing seemed chaotic and not very team based.

Adiuvo

It became too clustered and annoying. Art style took a hit, people stopped taking the game seriously in servers where I got a good ping - stuff like that. The game is chaotic, but it's still very team based if that's your thing. For me 'team based' always seemed like a brilliant concept but when you actually played the game there were tons of people that sucked, preventing you from doing anything. Even though I mainly played Spy, the 'solo' class, I still needed to rely on my team to make any permanent push and progress. It just stopped being fun.

I have over 700 hours in it though. It's certainly the best F2P game, even with all of it's issues.

El Diablo

That's hilarious.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
I just bought the 9 49p starter packs for each class :p

Serideth

Ah great news, must get my brother to pick this up now it's free. I haven't played it in ages myself though.