• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Multi Deus Ex: Human Revolution

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I preordered it but because of regional release dates us people in europe can't play until Friday. I won't get a chance to play it until next week so I'm trying to avoid looking at screenshots/video clips, glad to see it's getting such great reviews though.

Same here. Pre-ordered from WHSmith (before they closed their electronic entertainment online store). Have a gig Thursday that'll occupy me but just have today and tomorrow to fill my time before I get stuck in.

Can I just ask that any Americans who do have it or any Europeans who used the VPN activation method, please refrain from posting spoilers. Discuss it certainly but please wrap it in spoiler tags.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Really was tempted to pick this up while at Best Buy but refrained from doing so because I will be engulfed in it and I don't have the time yet :( I can't wait to play this game though, been looking forward to it for a while

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I'm loving it so far, possible GOTY candidate for me. It's definitely more accessible than the original Deus Ex yet at the same time there's plenty of gameplay depth, doesn't feel 'dumbed down' like Invisible War did.

I'm taking the stealth approach on my first playthrough. I actually think it tops MGS in that regard. I was worried about the cover mechanic feeling awkward (switching from 1st to 3rd person) but it's not bad at all.

My only gripe right now is a technical one: the insanely long loading times, 25-30 seconds when loading a game, even when quick loading after you die. It's really annoying, hope it gets fixed because there's no reason it should take so long on PC.

Adiuvo

I really like it so far. The game looks pretty nice though some of the textures are disappointing when viewed close up, but the gameplay really is fantastic. Gunplay is good and the reloading animations really help tie the whole thing together. Atmosphere wise, the devs put tons of effort into fleshing out the world. Reading everything in the game is a must.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I love messing around with random people on the streets. You can throw barrels and stuff at them, it's funny how they react.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I'm loving it so far, possible GOTY candidate for me. It's definitely more accessible than the original Deus Ex yet at the same time there's plenty of gameplay depth, doesn't feel 'dumbed down' like Invisible War did.

I'm taking the stealth approach on my first playthrough. I actually think it tops MGS in that regard. I was worried about the cover mechanic feeling awkward (switching from 1st to 3rd person) but it's not bad at all.

My only gripe right now is a technical one: the insanely long loading times, 25-30 seconds when loading a game, even when quick loading after you die. It's really annoying, hope it gets fixed because there's no reason it should take so long on PC.

Do you have the game stored on an SSD or one of the WD drives?

El Diablo

I plan on downloading this to see how I like it before I buy it. I played the leaked beta but couldn't get very far without it crashing on me but from what I played I liked it.

Joey

I've never seen a game like this that looks so good at certain moments, and like an Xbox 1 game at other moments.

Still wanna play this though, I've watched a few hours of gameplay videos for this game, and it looks like a really bad game, even though it's getting amazing scores. I want to see what it is I'm missing.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Do you have the game stored on an SSD or one of the WD drives?

My Wd drive. Guess I might try moving it over to the SSD and see how much of an improvement that brings.

18 seconds on the SSD, not much of an improvement but it's tolerable now at least.

Robby

Los Doyers!
I've never seen a game like this that looks so good at certain moments, and like an Xbox 1 game at other moments.

Still wanna play this though, I've watched a few hours of gameplay videos for this game, and it looks like a really bad game, even though it's getting amazing scores. I want to see what it is I'm missing.

This is a game where gameplay should matter more then graphics. The multiple ways of doing missions is awesome, some missions feel like it's unique to yourself.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Yeah Deus Ex's magic is all in the gameplay. There's so many different ways to tackle objectives. Most importantly, the game doesn't punish you for doing things your way. I don't know of any other game like it, that's why the original is still so praised to this day.

Some new findings on the load times... it appears turning off VSync makes a huge improvement.

NeoGAF@TheExodu5 said:
During the first part of the game.

Loading with VSync ON: 31.8s (60fps)
Loading with VSync OFF: 13.9s (165fps)

The loading is most certainly framerate dependent.

I just tried it and loading times are down to 7 seconds now. It's still on my SSD, but huge improvement.

Also I can't really wrap my head around why they chose to add bosses to this. Just beat the first one, wasn't THAT hard but the fight was no fun at all. The AI was pathetic. Maybe it was an attempt to mimic MGS but they failed horribly. It reminded me of getting attacked by a swarm of MIBs in the first Deus Ex.

Seth

MD Party Room
I rented this game from red box today so far im enjoying it, but dam I have the health of a ant. From everything I read from the reviews I thought I can play this any way I want but it seems to have me all crouch and quit like. Wish I can just run and gun...

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Still waiting on my copy of Human Revolution :(
Dam post. It shipped Wednesday but isn't here yet.
Can't complain much I guess. It was the augmented edition for only

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I've had no problems shooting everyone in sight but it might be harder with a controller. If they gave you more health it'd be too easy I think.

Seth

MD Party Room
idk I get shot 2 time and my heath goes from 100 to 15....

MenaceInc

Staff Member
idk I get shot 2 time and my heath goes from 100 to 15....

Sounds about right to me. Just double checking but Human Revolution doesn't have separate health for different body parts, does it? Like in Deus Ex, if the health of both your legs was 0, you'd have to crawl along the ground until you healed yourself, is there anything like that?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Sounds about right to me. Just double checking but Human Revolution doesn't have separate health for different body parts, does it? Like in Deus Ex, if the health of both your legs was 0, you'd have to crawl along the ground until you healed yourself, is there anything like that?

Nope, just one single health bar. AND your health regenerates as well (albeit very slowly). It's nowhere near as difficult as the original (which took me many quick saves to beat :p)