• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Anyone else installed this? I've been running it for about 2 days now, I quite like it.
Some very nice new features... If you hold start and press print screen it saves directly to a file instead of you having to paste it into a program.
Also Windows Experience Index now goes up to 9.9!
Here are my scores (5.9 on HDD as I just have it installed on a 100GB partition on one of my 1TB SATA drives):
WEI-1.png

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I downloaded it but have not yet installed it. I was thinking about running it as my main OS to try it out but am seriously discouraged by the tile formatting. I am very much a traditional desktop user with multiple windows and applications open that I don't think I will like the new interface. I'm sure it will work better on my laptop right now which is where I have the developer preview already installed.

However i hate the metro theme. I hate it with a passion. They're forcing a drastic change and trying to adopt their metro UI across their platforms for consistency - but right now that's not what Windows needs

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
However i hate the metro theme. I hate it with a passion. They're forcing a drastic change and trying to adopt their metro UI across their platforms for consistency - but right now that's not what Windows needs
I'd have to agree to a certain extent. The metro seems interesting, and is perfectly suited for touchscreen interface imo. but anything that rely's on traditional mouse/keyboard setup is probably going to find it more irritating, than useful.

i'm debating on installing this myself, i want to try it, but i think i'd rather hold off for when it's released.

@El Xando were your scores already maxed out in windows 7?

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"

KezraPlanes

Just some dood

A million times this! Metro sucks majorly when we're speaking about desktop OS. The classic windows layout is perfect and needed NO changes. Hell, even Linux distros go out of their way to include some similarities to it because of the way people like it. Why change has been hardcoded into our brains for years and that we are confortable with?

MenaceInc

Staff Member
A million times this! Metro sucks majorly when we're speaking about desktop OS. The classic windows layout is perfect and needed NO changes. Hell, even Linux distros go out of their way to include some similarities to it because of the way people like it. Why change has been hardcoded into our brains for years and that we are confortable with?

It is foolish to think that we've reached the optimal peak in terms of desktop design. Without trying other options, we cannot be certain that what we have currently is the best possible option for the moment.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
It is foolish to think that we've reached the optimal peak in terms of desktop design. Without trying other options, we cannot be certain that what we have currently is the best possible option for the moment.

Either way metro is a step back for the desktop experience.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Windows 8 is the first new OS from Microsoft I have little to no interest in. I just see no reason to switch over so far if you aren't going to use the Metro interface. It looks promising for tablets, however.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I agree, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate.

I never said it was the best, or least I didn't mean to say it. I said that of all the options available at this time, the classic windows layout is in fact the best we have at this moment in time. However that is subject to change, as is everything.

I'm with x3 on this one. Unless there are truly spectacular performance advantages over Win7, I will not be switching over.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I never said it was the best, or least I didn't mean to say it. I said that of all the options available at this time, the classic windows layout is in fact the best we have at this moment in time. However that is subject to change, as is everything.

I'm with x3 on this one. Unless there are truly spectacular performance advantages over Win7, I will not be switching over.

Ah but if Metro wasn't there, would we know for sure that between Metro and Aero we would prefer Aero?

I want full description here related to Windows 8 Consumer Preview and windows developer preview

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/consumer-preview

I may switch to 8 but the main reason I would want to do so is the App Store. Having something similar to APT which has been in GNU/Linux for nearly 14 years would be very welcome for myself. Even if it meant having to pay for software that was previously free (so developers could cover app store costs) then I'd be willing to do so.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Ah but if Metro wasn't there, would we know for sure that between Metro and Aero we would prefer Aero?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/consumer-preview

I may switch to 8 but the main reason I would want to do so is the App Store. Having something similar to APT which has been in GNU/Linux for nearly 14 years would be very welcome for myself. Even if it meant having to pay for software that was previously free (so developers could cover app store costs) then I'd be willing to do so.

I don't even like Aero, but it doesn't impact that the performance and makes things look shinier. Metro changes the way and look everything I like works so it's a no-no for me (unless they've drastically changed since the Developer preview, which I doubt.) Metro should have been a tablet/phone-only UI and it's perfect for that.

Also the fact that Win8 may not let you dual-boot with a Linux distro is a HUGE turn off for me.

Also the fact that Win8 may not let you dual-boot with a Linux distro is a HUGE turn off for me.
If this is the case, no way am I switching to Win8. From what I can tell, it just seems like a new version of Windows built to cater to tablets/ the inevitable touch screen computers that will be coming soon. No reason for me to go through the effort of switching over. I just don't really see the advantage of it.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Got a copy of the consumer preview so I'll be having a look at it tomorrow perhaps

Seth

MD Party Room
Just got around to installing it cant wait to dive into it a little bit more.