• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Invisible Children - Kony 2012 - Share This, Seriously.

PR0fessor Burnt

Good post from Reddit

TL;DW
Didn't have 30 minutes to watch the video? Let me sum it up for you.
1) A man name [1] Joseph Kony is a leader of a rebel group called the [2] LRA in Central Africa.
2) Kony uses his army of rebels to abduct children from villages. The children (mostly boys) are then forced to hurt or kill their loved ones or friends. The girls are used as sex slaves for the rest of the rebel army.
3) The year 2012 is the year Kony will be taken out of the picture. By spreading this video and other media across the nation, the people/news/government will remain focused on Kony.
4) The goal of this whole movement is to make Joseph Kony famous. By tweeting/contacting [3] celebrities and calling [4] government officials you are helping spread the word about Kony.
TL;DR Joseph Kony is bad...and you need to tell everyone you know
Links for the lazy:
[5] Info on Kony2012
[6] Kony2012 Website
[7] Invisible Children Facebook Page
--Personal Edit: Seeing that this is, and probably will be the highest comment, can I just encourage you to bookmark the video and watch it sometime later. The way the filmmakers made this video is truly breathtaking. I know you're probably busy right now, but just some time later today just give yourself 30 minutes to watch this video and perhaps share it. Stay classy fellow redditors.
Making Things Easy For You:
Obviously since you're short on time let me even make it easier on you. Here is the list of celebrities and government officials Kony2012 wants you to tweet. Just click on their name and hit tweet. That simple. Man, look at you go future starter.
[8] Lady Gaga
[9] Bill O'Reilly
[10] Bill Gates
[11] Ben Affleck
[12] Ellen Degeneres
[13] Rick Warren
[14] Justin Bieber
[15] Rihanna
[16] Steven Colbert
[17] Warren Buffett
[18] Taylor Swift
[19] Bono
[20] Rush Limbaugh
[21] Tim Tebow
[22] Ryan Seacrest
[23] George W. Bush
[24] Condoleezza Rice
[25] John Kerry
[26] Bill Clinton
[27] Mitt Romney
[28] Kay Granger
[29] Harry Reid
[30] Stephen Harper
[31] Ban Ki-Moon
[32] Patrick Leahy

Robby

Los Doyers!
So it took a guy to make a video for people to actually notice this? It's been happening since the 80s and not much has changed since.
I don't see alot of people making an effort to do something about this other then flooding my twitter and youtube comments with #kony2012

Yes this is sad, but what are people doing now to change it?

MenaceInc

Staff Member
So it took a guy to make a video for people to actually notice this? It's been happening since the 80s and not much has changed since.
I don't see alot of people making an effort to do something about this other then flooding my twitter and youtube comments with #kony2012

Yes this is sad, but what are people doing now to change it?

Children have been used in warfare for a long time before the 80s. I agree though in that this slacktivism isn't going to do any good. If however, every single person who posted about it donated even a single dollar/pound to a charity that did more than make videos that pretty much say "This man is bad and should be stopped" then perhaps it would make a difference.

BlackSheep

Ive been knowing about this for ages i lived about it in school. only 30% of the cash from invisible children goes to the cause.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Ive been knowing about this for ages i lived about it in school. only 30% of the cash from invisible children goes to the cause.

I remember we watched a video about this in high school a few years ago. It was about a group of people going to Uganda and seeing how people live there and about Kony but all it did was make everyone sad for a couple minutes.

Chathurga

If you don't usually like politics and a video really speaks to you then it's probably propaganda.

Please people do the 2 seconds of research necessary to show how full of shit everyone involved in Kony 2012 is.
Your first tip off should have been Russel lamenting that the US wouldn't use military intervention in Uganda. They support giving weapons to the Ugandan army who themselves have been engaged in pretty brutal acts.
Look at this picture, they're just egotistical fame seekers.

857249-kony-2012.jpg

A nice summary:

[video=youtube;VpuB11d0Gog]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpuB11d0Gog[/video]

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Haven't watched the summary video you posted Chat but I'd just like to mention a few things: the Invisible Children organization mostly employs film makers. They've probably spent a good portion of their donations creating this propaganda video only to sell their own merchandise to raise "awareness" for a cause that itself is outdated. While a high quality video production like the one they produced is great for reaching out to the public it should not have been used to promote the sale of anything. The video was touching at first for the majority of those who viewed it and didn't do any research or action past that. This is a good point to make, especially as it relates to the media: don't take what you see at face value, do your own research on the topic. We teach high schoolers all the time about proper sources and providing supporting evidence.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Annnnd this Kony2012 thing did nothing. Like I knew it would.

El Diablo

I haven't even watched the dumb Kony video, but am I the only one who gets pissed off/infuriated just looking at the directors of this film? I just want to see all 3 of them run over by a bus.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Did you guys see the video of the creator of the Kony2012 video standing in a corner naked? Yeah, seems like a guy to lead a movement.

Colm

I've been watching both the pro- and anti- sides of the Kony2012 movement.
Invisible Children themselves recently released a much better video. Less "Look at my cute kid, SAVE AFRICA", more hard facts and evidence. In fact Jason Russell isn't in the video at all. That helps.

[youtube]c_Ue6REkeTA[/youtube]

Don't get me wrong, Jason Russell and his crew are a bunch of wankers (Jason himself in a more literal sense), but they've apparently got good intentions (although Jason has some sort of weird religious agenda shit going on; see Chat's video), but this new video actually speaks some sense about the Kony issue. I wouldn't give any money to IC (and have told several people to avoid supporting them) but at least they're trying to right their wrongs.

Kony2012 is a good platform to start a campaign to raise awareness of atrocities in Africa and throughout the world. The problem with it is that it's too vague, too simplified and spends its time dealing with just one of the multitude of problems that faces Africa every day. As evil as Kony is, remember that the Ugandan army (which Invisible Children actively support) are guilty of similar atrocities (and as a historical note the modern Ugandan army is descended from a rebel group which too used children in warfare) and actively defend the Ugandan government (responsible for the "Kill The Gays" law among other human rights abuses).
As such, Kony 2012, despite its (supposedly) good intentions, is doomed to failure because it fails to address the big picture. The Kony 2012 Part II film is certainly a step in the right direction but still doesn't change many of the facts.

IC are naive, to say the least. If you really want to help the developing world, give your money to the Red Cross or MSF or a similar organisation. Aid is a highly complex matter; in some cases it can weaken the countries it's supposed to help (and sometimes is used to weaken countries purposefully; some come with highly protectionist terms). Educate yourself and do the research before you take action. Never take a video like this at face value.