• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Gaming Rumor: PS4 Codenamed Orbis, Slated for 2013 Debut, Blocks Used Games

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
scedev2.jpg

Gaming blog Kotaku is running a rumor that claims the next-generation of console hardware from Sony is codenamed Orbis. It's reportedly due for a holiday 2013 debut and will include measures to block the sale of used games.

While it's unclear if 'Orbis' will be used as a final name for the product, it is an actual codename -- this can be verified by the web address orbis.scedev.net, which carries a valid DNS entry on Sony's developer relations site[...]

Continue reading: Rumor: PS4 Codenamed Orbis, Slated for 2013 Debut, Blocks Used Games...

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
i realize that used games sales hurt devs, and sony is a dev. but building into the hardware measures which kill the used game market is probably going to make people look more towards your competitors.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
Rumor Rumors. Hope it isn't true.

If they block used game sales, no one will buy the system.

YOU CANNOT DEFEAT THE SECOND HAND MARKET. It is the ONLY way games can live on past their generation.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Rumor Rumors. Hope it isn't true.

If they block used game sales, no one will buy the system.

YOU CANNOT DEFEAT THE SECOND HAND MARKET. It is the ONLY way games can live on past their generation.

Well they aren't targeting the usual second hand market on person-to-person sales. They are doing this because of companies like GAME that enforce the agressive sale of second hand titles so they can keep the entire profit. They brought this upon themselves, there are rumors Microsoft will to the same with the '720'.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
It wouldn't really affect me. I primarily buy on PC and there's no secondhand market there, especially since most games now require Steam activation. I like having the option of selling my games but I'm pretty used to not having it by now.

With the industry eventually moving towards total digital distribution, it seems like this was bound to happen. I don't like it - removing options from consumers is never a good thing - but if I decide to not buy a PS Orbis or Xbox 720, it's not going to be because of used games.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
It wouldn't really affect me. I primarily buy on PC and there's no secondhand market there, especially since most games now require Steam activation. I like having the option of selling my games but I'm pretty used to not having it by now.

With the industry eventually moving towards total digital distribution, it seems like this was bound to happen. I don't like it - removing options from consumers is never a good thing - but if I decide to not buy a PS Orbis or Xbox 720, it's not going to be because of used games.

Plus on PC, thanks to services like GOG, really old titles can still sell and the profit I believe still goes to the original dev/publisher.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
Well they aren't targeting the usual second hand market on person-to-person sales. They are doing this because of companies like GAME that enforce the agressive sale of second hand titles so they can keep the entire profit. They brought this upon themselves, there are rumors Microsoft will to the same with the '720'.
Didn't Game just go under though?

Personally I only buy games from places like GameStop (and I generally despise Gamestop. They push Used Sales so much and yet they don't care about original packaging, every other used game has some shitty gamestop case.)when they have something that is exclusive to them that I can't get anywhere else :(
Like the Peace Walker Big Boss PSP bundle that I bought 2 years ago.

Other than that I buy all my modern games from Amazon, and I try to always buy new if I can :/

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Didn't Game just go under though?

Personally I only buy games from places like GameStop (and I generally despise Gamestop. They push Used Sales so much and yet they don't care about original packaging, every other used game has some shitty gamestop case.)when they have something that is exclusive to them that I can't get anywhere else :(
Like the Peace Walker Big Boss PSP bundle that I bought 2 years ago.

Other than that I buy all my modern games from Amazon, and I try to always buy new if I can :/

Well yes they did... or are... whatever.

GAME did what you just accused GameStop of doing, problem being that they did it to an extent that when they needed favors from publishers to get games first and pay later, they gave them ther middle finger.

I am not against second-hand sales like what you can find on Amazon for example, because I "know" that the money I'm paying for the game is going 100% to the person I'm selling it to, and just might go into buying another game new. I hated GAME's model because they gave you like 10-15

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
They still don't realize that the high ass price is what drives people towards used games.

Used games aren't much cheaper though, at least if we're talking retail chains like GameStop. I mean they only knock of $5-10 off a new release title usually. If you wait a few weeks and deal hunt, you can probably pick up a new copy for less. I often see new releases go for $40 on Amazon not long after launch.

To be honest, gaming is only expensive if you absolutely must buy every game on day one. Prices drop pretty quick if you wait it out

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
Used games aren't much cheaper though, at least if we're talking retail chains like GameStop. I mean they only knock of $5-10 off a new release title usually. If you wait a few weeks and deal hunt, you can probably pick up a new copy for less. I often see new releases go for $40 on Amazon not long after launch.

To be honest, gaming is only expensive if you absolutely must buy every game on day one. Prices drop pretty quick if you wait it out
True but I often find people that selling games they just beat for like $35, not bad for a month old game. Gamestop only thrives because people either don't want to or can't be arsed to sell their own games directly. I can tolerate the online pass thing because even then it's still less than $60. I won't be surprised if next gen games are $70.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Yeah I get my used games from ebay usually a month after release when they start selling for 35

KezraPlanes

Just some dood