• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Doom for the PSP

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Doom is one of those homebrews that doesn't work with eLoader, so I decided to make my own. At the same time, I added TV out support as well... and a few other things. So here's v1.0. It doesn't do networking or cheats - yet. Let me know what you think.

Although it was done for the Slim, it does work on the Phat as well. I've checked this in 3.71 M33-2 on the Slim, and 3.52 M33-4 on the Phat.

EDIT: 2007/11/14 - v1.4 released. Automatically switches on LCD after using TV. No need to tap the display button anymore. Now uses intraFonts from Ben Hur as long as the ltn8.pgf font can be loaded. Looks a LOT better. If it fails to load the font for some reason (you deleted it to make room in the flash or something), it falls back to the debug printing. Altered next/previous weapon handling so that you can switch between the shotgun and the double-barrel shotgun in versions that allow it. The file requester now sorts the entries.

EDIT: 2007/11/05 - v1.3 released. Networking is finally working properly. The GUI has been altered to make it easier to set up network games.

EDIT: 2007/11/02 - v1.2 released. Added ability to access the OSK during the game
so that strings can be entered. Slowed the OSK by half to make inputting
characters easier. TRIANGLE can now be used as BACKSPACE when entering
the game save description. Added network support for Infrastructure
TCP/IP (wireless access points). Also added a selector for 16: 9 or 4:3
rendering to the LCD menu; that way you can have "normal" graphics in
480x272 mode. Optimized the rendering for almost twice the frame rate.

EDIT: 2007/10/29 - v1.1 released. Fixed problem with strafing and turning at the same time. Added ability to disable the analog stick, and to calibrate it. Added two forms of cheats. Read the readme!

Here's a link to my google page with the file. It's about 6.7 MB, so I didn't want to kill exo's bandwidth. :wink:
http://groups.google.com/group/chilly-willys-ice-flow/web/doom-for-the-psp?hl=en

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Nice work as always :) Big fan of Doom here.

btw, took a screenshot from my Slim:

snap009b.jpg

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Nice! I see you haven't bumped up the screen size in the options (DOOM options). Funny, but that particular screen size if what you're supposed to do all the speed tests in (and 320x200 or 320x240 resolution).

I should take a picture of it on my TV. I've been running it at 640x400 progressive. It's pretty nice. Surprisingly quick for that size on such a slow system (let's face it, computers haven't been 200-300 MHz in almost a decade).

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Tried to run on slim keep getting error Error:W_init files not found. Any help?

Read the readme. Go into Game Settings and select a Main WAD file. Chilly has already included a shareware version of Doom with the release, so a DOOM1.WAD option should show up.

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Yes, until you save the settings to "doom.set" the bare minimum you'd have to do every time you run this is select a main wad. All the rest can go by the defaults. I suppose I could make the default on the next version to simply pick the first file in the iwad directory. :)

Anywho, set your settings the way you like, then save the settings to the default name. The next time you run Doom, it will automatically load those settings so you're ready to play.

Roe

Yeah very nice Chilly, when I read it was only 6mb I was pretty happy too. It looks great on full screen in remotejoy.

XsavioR

quality release , was good fun playing the demo.

Hey chilly can u put in the mods... where the guys look like monkeys? etc Make them like options to turn on and off.

Chilly Willy

Contributor
quality release , was good fun playing the demo.

Hey chilly can u put in the mods... where the guys look like monkeys? etc Make them like options to turn on and off.

:biggrin:

I'm just trying to make a nice DOOM that plays on the PSP Slim. Any mods you can do by selecting patch WADs and DEHs in the proper place in the GUI (Game Settings). I don't include any specific mods at this point, but I might. The mod I'd include is Doominator. Now THAT was patch WAD! :w00t:

Or the DEH that makes the shotgun as fast as the chaingun. You could mow through ANYTHING with that DEH. 8)

XsavioR

yeah if they are capable of being played we should make a performance pack, and gather up a bunch of mods.

Is this capable of being networked like doom was ? lan play and such

Chilly Willy

Contributor
yeah if they are capable of being played we should make a performance pack, and gather up a bunch of mods.

Is this capable of being networked like doom was ? lan play and such

This version should in theory, but I can't get my router to pass the packets to the second PSP. It's very frustrating. :mad1:

This is my second beta for v1.2 and has lots of bug fixes. It's just the EBOOT and the readme.

Attachments

• psp-doom-v1.2b2.zip
    604.9 KB · Views: 161

Chilly Willy

Contributor
I've gone ahead and posted an "official" v1.2. Although I still can't make my router cooperate, networking should work in theory, so I'm gonna use y'all as guinea pigs. The main reason I'm posting it is because I made a simple optimization in the screen rendering that makes it almost twice as fast. At 480x272, I went from 28 to 47 frames per second. I get a respectable 21 FPS in 720x480 on the TV, and a VERY nice 27 FPS at 640x400 on the TV. 8)

XsavioR

nice optimizations. So could it be that a slim and phat psp dont communicate properly... i assume u are using a slim and a phat.

Chilly Willy

Contributor
nice optimizations. So could it be that a slim and phat psp dont communicate properly... i assume u are using a slim and a phat.

Yes, a Slim with 3.71 M33-2 and a Phat with 3.52 M33-4. They SHOULD communicate fine. The problem seems to be the router won't send the packets on the second PSP. I even found a nice page on network programming and I'm doing everything it says, but the packets from one PSP just never get to the second.

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Did u verify the mac address on the phat 82? We could try over hamatchi (virtual lan) if u want.

Yes, I verified the MAC addresses. You cannot get the "Test Connection" to succeed without having the MAC address in the filter list of the router (unless it's disabled, of course). I'm currently trying to set up "plain" DOOM for linux so I can try networking between the computer and the PSP to better trace the packets. I have yet to find any reason in the code for the problem. Everything seems fine from that end.

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Okay, I done figgered out the stupid networking. :biggrin:

Here's a beta for v1.3. The only difference between this and v1.2 is the fix for networking. The funny thing is the networking was fine. Doom busy loops, and since the PSP uses cooperative task switching, the thread the PSP network libs use for address resolution were not getting to run. I stuck a reschedule before the packet commands and TADA! Networking works for me.

So give this a try and see how it works for you. However, now that I've got networking working and had a chance to see how the program responds to changes in the network settings, I realize I need to alter the network config. So this is a beta to get you networking while I revamp the gui a bit for an official v1.3 release.

Attachments

• psp-doom-v1.3b.zip
    598.8 KB · Views: 155