• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Interview with Hellcat

J

jx233

Interview with Hellcat! Recently there has been a TIFF / ChickHEN explosion so many of the important sceners have been online once again. Fortunately, because of that, I got a chance to interview Hellcat via PM but I met him in Malloc.us IRC Chat - #Hellcat.

This was very exciting for both of us, and I am glad this was possible. So here is the interview, just like some expected.

*Interview between Hellcat and jx233.*

jx233: Tell us a little about yourself. Where are you from and what are your interests / hobbies?
Hellcat: Well, as quite some already gathered ;) I'm from the land with the horrible TV program.... Germany.
Which already has us at my interests, I enjoy quite a lot of TV shows like Stargate, NCIS, House MD, Doctor Who.... well the list could go on to infinity and beyond but as one can see I'm a big SciFi fan :) I usually try to get my hand on those shows in their original language (=english) as I can't stand the german syncs and can enjoy them way better this way.
Apart from that I enjoy hanging out with my friends, going to the cinema and - quite obviously - computers and video games :D

jx233: Who are you in the real world? Student, worker, retired? {retired is stupid question but that for laughs :D }
Hellcat: I'm a simple worker with a simple job, nothing special.
There really isn't much to tell about that, it happens quite often that I have to work some more hours till getting home, which leaves less free time which again means less time for making stuff (for the PSP for example).
But the money for all the hobbies has to come from somewhere ;) Maybe one day I'll get my foot into professional game development.... would be great :)

jx233: Explain to us about your username, why did you use that one?
Hellcat: That started ages ago.... back on the Amiga computer we had a little "two man group" (a buddy and me). We didn't do much stuff, just a few intros and such. But also for that we needed some cool nicknames. After 315 ideas of names that were already taken I suddenly had the idea for "Hellcat" and as we couldn't really find someone already active with that name I took it.... and kept it :)

jx233: Changing the topic a little.
How and why did you join the PSP Scene?
Hellcat: It all started with the PS1 :D Great console, great games, lot of fun. So I got stuck on the PlayStation brand (also got a PS2) and when a portable version of the PlayStation was announced, I just *had* to get that, so I preordered my PSP and got it on german release day.
Since I always had an interest in what else one could do with various devices beyond what their creators thought of for it ("unleashing the full potential" as it's sometimes phrased), I had already read a lot about the PSP and the homebrewed things people made run on FW 1.00 and 1.50 - even more a shocker when german PSPs came with 1.52.
But some lucky day the very first downgrader came and after looking at other people's awesome programs and achievements with wide open mouth I finally ended up on ps2dev.org and eventually installing their PSPSDK for the first time.
I was so impressed of what some people did (all these hacks and other tricky things are so interesting) that I wanted to find out how all of it works (always want to know how stuff works ;) ), so I kept reading, asking questions, more reading, more asking questions.... fortunately there are many devs around who do answer those questions.

jx233: If you could contribute something that would be a major breakthrough to the Scene, what would it be?
Hellcat: There's only one breakthrough that everyone's thinking about, isn't it? Finally bringing full CFW to the newer PSPs :D
I'd really like to find a good hack or exploit myself, my very own CFW is also on my wishlist.
Or simply convincing Sony to open up the platform a bit more.... ;)

jx233: What motivated you choose the PSP for devlopment?
Hellcat: That's an easy one :) Because it's a (very) great platform, I have one and the HB PSPSDK is quite easy to work with.
Also, the people I meet in the PSP community are quite great. Of course not all of them, but most of them :)

jx233: How long were you devloping for the PSP?
Hellcat: I think the first time I touched the SDK is now something like three years ago....

jx233: What is your favorite thing from the PSP world of homebrew?
Hellcat: I used PSP-PDA for quite some time and FileAssistant++ and PSPFiler made it quite high in my faves list along zx81's PSP-FTPd (FTP-server).
But all time favorite is Arts X-Flash from the 1.50 days! That thing was just pure awesomeness! :)

jx233: What are your views / opinions on the TA-088 V3 and PSP-3000?
Hellcat: Funbreaker. On the bottom line the 3k is just like Sonys FW updates: some security fixes, no real benefit for the customer beside some alibi features no one needs or wants.
Of course they needed to counter Pandora, but they shouldn't have hidden the backdor THAT good ;)

jx233: Are you developing in other major homebrew consoles? Saying like Wii or iPhone for example.
Hellcat: I already took a look at the iPhone and I'm also going to check out the NDS - as time permits something nice will come out.... maybe.... one day....

jx233: Speaking of other consoles, which is your favorite?
Hellcat: Oh, that's a tough one, now. Hardware wise it's PSP and PS3, those two are way ahead of their time IMO, Sony did a great job on them. Unfortunately there's no good games for them, or at least not that much. So the trophy for the most enjoyable games has to go to the NDS for the time beeing.... as sad as that is :(

jx233: And what is your favorite game for it?
Hellcat: Oh, there isn't really "one above all" game for me, depending on my days mood I prefer a game from the one or the other genere.
At the moment I really enjoy "GTA:Chinatown-Wars", "Prof. Layton and the mysterious Village" and "Nanostray".

Hellcat himself enjoyed the interview, so maybe another one might come sometime soon. Stay tuned for updates. :D

Also, I want to give credits to some people here because of this interview:

-Hellcat for participating. Kudos goes out to him.
-x3sphere for front paging my article, as it did make to front page to get people's attention, and it also made headlines on MforMature (via the eXophase Mirror).
-EvilSeph, for Malloc.us IRC Chat, it would be impossible to meet up with Hellcat without the IRC. :)
-mortalinstincts because his interview inspired me to do one.
-january39 whose post / request also motivated me to make an interview.
-Cheers to everyone else.

january39

eXo Staff
Nice one Jx233.

Alex

Nice, I just need his psn and id get whooped on gta (Y)

J

jx233

I updated the post with credits now, that was necessary too. :D

angelsniper45

very nice!! Another legend interviewed !
When's it gunna be my turn to do one? :D

Acerthief

slow down on the interviews i can't catch up XD.

Great interview.

mopargk

<p>Nice work jx</p>
<p>You had great questions...</p>
<p>And I agree slow down.........but keep them coming</p>
<p>Great interviews, folks.</p>

Pranzer

This is great!! I really like what you're doing.. more interviews. including moderators in here!! hehehehe

mopargk

<p>HEY GOOD IDEA!!! I would be interested in interviews of the Moderators. I also think it'd be great for the site to know what, where, when and how, you of the godlike realm do what you do.(okay, okay godlike is kissin' up....upper realm,okay:)
Think it be of interest to members, heck, to all who come to the site.</p>
<p>okay okay okay I'll go back to my chair in the corner.................:)</p>