• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

God Talk

Shatterdome

MadSoul....it seems we have been raised quite similarly and part of me beleives exactlly as you do.

Still, as you said, we still havn't figured out our brains and how exactlly they work, and we definately have no idea about 99% of the universe. We factually create energy as we go about our daily routines, energy cannot just dissappear, so then what happens to our energy when our brains are no longer able to function and feed us a picture of "reality" ?

What I like is that everyone just focuses on humans on their planet earth, and it's all about us......however when you look at the grand scheme of the universe, and how insignificant we are to the workings of the universe we are no better then single celled organisms....Do cells go to heaven for being good and reproducing and keeping our bodies alive ?

Still, I don't beleive in a god, but I do beleive in some energy that motivates the universe....it's perhaps people being in tune with this energy that makes them wonder if there is something larger out there, and of course we anthropomorphize it into a god that thinks and is very human like in one or more characteristics. I have experienced too many things and watched too many documentaries which talk about humans being conditioned by our society not to be in touch with anything "supernatural" to beleive there is just "nothing". I am secular enough though to know that when we die, nothing is going to be the same as when we were alive...alas, yes our brain, the thing that interprets "reality" for us, will be gone.....so if our energy does go on to something else, it is really just as good as nothing as there would be nothing left of our former self and our former personality to comment on what was happening....

In the end I am all about just living as decent person and finding out when I find out....or not finding out when I don't find out, whatever....still, it is a fun thing to think of. Also, I will say, do some mushrooms, they will make you question reality like nothing else has...

FreePlay

I've been all along the religious spectrum, in terms of Christianity. Now, I'm a militant agnostic. I don't know, and you don't either.

Serideth

FreePlay said:
I've been all along the religious spectrum, in terms of Christianity. Now, I'm a militant agnostic. I don't know, and you don't either.
Kinda the same as you although I follow many of the Christian ways of life (IE treat others as you wish them to treat you) I use my religion as a guideline on how to live my life.

To believe in the bible 100% is being narrow minded (and at the risk of insulting anyone) a bit silly.

Slasher

Suck It
I acknowledge the fact that I'm a Christian, and I can honestly say that I believe in God.

I've been to church maybe a total of 10 times in my life time, and I really don't plan on going there in the future. I have other things to do in my life.

I've skimmed through the Bible a few times and it's all really a big jumble of words to me - I don't feel like deciphering it.

I think the fundamentals of religion are a great thing, or more specifically, the ten commandments. It's essentially a guideline to basic morals that I believe everyone should have the decency of following. Much like Pixel Princess said above me, "treat others as you wish them to treat you". Most people these days have little to no respect for anyone but themselves - it's sickening. I personally make an effort to be kind, respectful, and courteous in every type of situation. Holding a door for someone is automatic for me, as well as making sure I say please and thank you.

FreePlay

I don't think the ten commandments should be the basis of a moral code.

After all... rape, child molestation, war, torture, and slavery would all be acceptable, since they're not mentioned...

spike021

iPhone Developer (prev. PSP Dev)
I will acknowledge that I am a Messianic Jew (Jew who believes Jesus was the Messiah, blah blah blah). I won't push my religion to you by force or any other means as we are only discussing religion.

Yes, I do believe in all that Jews believe (except for Kabbalah, which is a form of Jewish cult), but I believe that Jesus was the son of God, and has been down here, and gone back 'up.'

The Ten Commandments were meant to be used as a basis.
FreePlay said:
I don't think the ten commandments should be the basis of a moral code.

After all... rape, child molestation, war, torture, and slavery would all be acceptable, since they're not mentioned...

As I said above, they were meant to be a basis. If you were following them, why would you rape someone? The Commandments say that you should be kind to others, but the people who torture, are they being kind? It's their choice.

Think of a Commandment as 'level one.' When leveling up you keep the same things from level one, but you gain more responsibilities from level two. Which means that one of the sins may seem basic but it really has a much bigger meaning. You just need to learn how to interpret it correctly.

Slasher

Suck It
What he said ^^

Indirectly, those things are forbidden.
Obviously some elaborating is going to have to be involved to build upon your basic morals.

Wikipedia ->
"The Commandments are seen as general "subject headings" for moral theology, in addition to being specific commandments in themselves. Thus, the commandment to honor father and mother is seen as a heading for a general rule to respect legitimate authority, including the authority of the state"
Therefor, rape/molestation/slavery would be unacceptable based on the authority of the state.

Additionally, last time I checked, war & torture often are regarded as "acceptable". War is endorsed in the US and believe it or not, torture happens quite often with next to nothing being done about it.
"A former CIA director [Admiral Turner] has claimed that torture is condoned and even approved by the Bush government."
A little off topic, but interesting nontheless.

Slasher

Suck It
spike021 said:
But do not forget Slasher, Wikipedia can't be trusted in all cases as it is frequently updated by the end-user.
If you read what I quoted then you would see that I'm not using wikipedia as a source to prove anything.

I'm simply using a sentence that I happened to find in there that clearly explained what I was getting at. Clarification if you will.

matt

I am a dedicated Christian-Lutheran. I believe everything Christianity has to offer, such as God, Heaven, Hell, etc. I have gone to church all my life and attend church regularly on every Sunday. I am getting confirmed in my faith this Sunday. Its going to be a big day. :) Now that I have been through 2 years of confirmation classes, I feel that I am closer to God and know him better. I plan to go to Heaven when I die.

Serideth

Matt said:
I am a dedicated Christian-Lutheran. I believe everything Christianity has to offer, such as God, Heaven, Hell, etc. I have gone to church all my life and attend church regularly on every Sunday. I am getting confirmed in my faith this Sunday. Its going to be a big day. :) Now that I have been through 2 years of confirmation classes, I feel that I am closer to God and know him better. I plan to go to Heaven when I die.
Do you believe every word in the bible?

eldiablov

Contributor
My big issue with Christianity is that I find it impossible to accept that someone said "Let there be light" and the sun magically formed.

kaioshade

Duality
I was raised Buddhist and Catholic from both sides of my family (Japanese/West Indian) but have gone semi agnostic.

I believe in spirituality but not organized religion.

Mr. Beefy

Suck It Trebek
I'm currently somewhere in the middle. I'm not going to say agnostic, though. I think there is a God. If there isn't, so be it.

I was confirmed as a Lutheran, but then my church fired our pastor, who I really liked. I didn't agree with their decision to fire her, and have stopped going to that church. So right now I'm looking for a new church to go to...but probably won't find anything I like.

matt

Tenchitsu said:
Do you believe every word in the bible?
Yes, I believe that the Bible is the word of God. But you mustn't take everything in the bible literally. There is a deeper meaning to most things. I don't fully understand the bible, nor could any human whose life is finite.

Shatterdome

Matt said:

You had to go to classes to become "closer to god", that is very interesting.....

FreePlay

spike021 said:
If you were following them, why would you rape someone? The Commandments say that you should be kind to others, but the people who torture, are they being kind? It's their choice.
1. rape is not forbidden by the ten commandments.
2. the commandments do not tell you to be 'nice' to people. nor do they forbid torture.

there's a LOT they're missing.
Matt said:
I don't fully understand the bible, nor could any human whose life is finite.
Then how do you know you understand any of it? What if you're entirely wrong?

Doubt is an important part of faith. You can't wholly accept something without doubting and have a strong faith.

Slasher

Suck It
FreePlay said:
1. rape is not forbidden by the ten commandments.
2. the commandments do not tell you to be 'nice' to people. nor do they forbid torture.
Did you read what I wrote?
Rape is indirectly unacceptable and forbidden based on the authority of the state. In addition to that, being "nice" to people can in fact be interpreted through a deeper look at the commandment, or #8 in particular.
"Requires the maintaining and promoting of truth between people, and of our neighbor

matt

Shatterdome said:
You had to go to classes to become "closer to god", that is very interesting.....
I didn't have to. Thats what I did and I'm glad because of it. I just got confirmed today. :)

FreePlay said:
Then how do you know you understand any of it? What if you're entirely wrong?

Doubt is an important part of faith. You can't wholly accept something without doubting and have a strong faith.
I do understand. Many things are made clear. Not all of it though. Like I said, it is impossible for any human to fully understand the bible. It is the word of God, and no one fully understands God.