• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

"I watched this film today and I recommend/don't recommend it."

Seth

MD Party Room
Just saw the new total recall thought it was pretty good. I never saw the first one but I enjoyed the hell out of the new one.

Anyone see Skyfall yet ?

Seth

MD Party Room
Ahh I keep that in mind.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
i've seen star trek: ID, which i loved, hangover 3 i also loved.

iron man 3 was decent, but at the same time idk how i feel about it 100%. furious 6 was good for a popcorn flick.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Star Trek was better than Iron Man 3.

Warrior - Top 5 best sports movies of all time in my book. This flick completely took me by surprise. I didn't think my man crush on Tom Hardy could get any larger.

Cabin in the Woods - loved it.

Those are the last few ones I've seen.

Andy

Champion of the Sun
Where to even fucking begin with this thread revival? 2013 has been an outstanding year for films, so I'll list a few of my best picks.
Her (2013)
Science-Fiction Romantic Comedy/Drama​

Director - Spike Jonze
Starring - Joaquin Phoenix, Scarlett Johansonn (voice)

For once a trailer that spoils nothing:
33eQYnp.jpg

The story, as you have probably heard, is about a lonely guy who falls in love with his new Operating System, which is the worlds first strong AI. If you're like me you'd probably expect this to be a quirky indie along the lines of Ryan Gosling's 'Lars and the Real Girl', and in no bad way you'd be quite right. The director Spike Jonze creates a beautiful futuristic world which oozes with subtleness, instead allowing you to focus on the deep and meaningful statements made regarding the nature of human relationships. I believe this film will do something not many will expect, where you find yourself relating very strongly to this awkward and lonely man.

This may have been my favourite film of the past year, which is a big honour when compared to its competition. Can't recommend highly enough.​

Last edited:

Andy

Champion of the Sun
Star Trek was better than Iron Man 3.

Warrior - Top 5 best sports movies of all time in my book. This flick completely took me by surprise. I didn't think my man crush on Tom Hardy could get any larger.

I just have to reply to your comment on Warrior; I completely agree. In hindsight the only criticism I can think of is how it can come across as very ridiculous (in terms of realism) at some stages, but I believe that's just the sacrifice for telling a moving and compelling story. That ending with The National - About Today was so perfect, man-tears were witnessed...

Andy

Champion of the Sun
12 Years a Slave (2013)
Biography, Drama, History

Director - Steve McQueen
Starring - Chiwetel Ejiofor, Benedict Cumberbatch, Michael Fassbender, Lupita Nyong'o, Paul Dano, Brad Pitt

Trailer and Poster
TNd20QG.jpg

I'm just going to start with saying that this is a true masterpiece. Steve McQueen creates the most compelling and horrifying account of slavery to ever grace our cinema screens. I personally rate this above Schindler's List, which many people are comparing it to.

It tells the story of a free black man from New York in the mid nineteenth century. He leads a respectable life with his wife and children, exercising his many talents such as in craftsmanship and instruments like the fiddle. After meeting two nice-looking men who offered him work he couldn't refuse, he packs his bags and prepares to take part in several performances with this circus entertainment company.

They then proceed to drug him, kidnap him, and illegally sell him into slavery. The horrendous prospect of this defies any level of understanding; a hard working family man has just been ripped from his own life, never to see his wife and children again. His futile attempts to explain his free status are responded with severe lash beating, which you visibly see ripping his back to shreds in heart wrenching scenes thanks to the prowess of Chiwetel Ejiofor.

This defies understanding; yet this was an event that actually occurred, no doubt to millions of other slaves being bought and sold at the time.

The beautiful and unorthodox score plays a crucial role in providing an eerie suspense combined with a complete feeling of hopelessness, but also at times hope. Hope that this poor man will eventually find justice and freedom once again.

Verdict: This will be one of the most powerful films you will ever see.

Note: Steve McQueen is now one of my favourite directors of all time. After obsessing over his film "Shame" for the entirety of last year and witnessing his spectacular "Hunger" (all featuring the god that is Michael Fassbender), I am absolutely stoked that I will be able to experience more of his work in the future.