• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Do you pre-order games?

Damnlag

I'm curious to know how many people actually pre-order games. I know there's a lot because when I use to pre-order Call of Duty games and attend midnight releases, it'd be packed.

I haven't really pre-ordered anything in the past year, mainly because of my job and haven't even had time to game this past month.

The pre-order exclusives that they're starting to add more of, look like a good reason to pre-order. Definitely that, play the game a full day early before actual release.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Most of the time I only pre-order to get release date delivery on Amazon. Or, in the case of Steam, they sometimes give you 10-20% off for ordering early.

Extra DLC is also a nice incentive - have seen Microsoft do this for many of its bigger Xbox One titles. But yeah, outside of incentives I don't see much reason to pre-order. These days I never have a problem picking up a game day one if I forget to pre-order so availability is not a concern.

Monkeydad1977

Only a couple of times a year or so do I ever pre-order games. Most of the time I buy my games used at GameStop using my Pro membership.

Righteous Nixon

Very very rarely do I pre order games. Only when its a game I have to have right away. Titles like GTA V, Halo 5, etc. In all honesty, it has nothing to do with the rash of problems recently with games being in an unfinished state and receiving day one patches and everything to do with price. The pricing of games drops so fast these days that I just see no reason to buy games right away and spend $50-60. I have a MASSIVE backlog that keeps me plenty busy so its not like I am ever in need of something new to play. I usually average between $15 and $30 for most of the games I purchase on consoles. I am a collecting junkie and have been for most of my life. I collect everything from comics, limited edition prints, statues and replica weapons (mostly sci-fi), original comic art, video games, antique camera's and lenses, vintage Kodak memorabilia, and the list goes on and on. Every penny I save when buying games is money I can spend on my other hobbies and its very easy saving money on games. All it takes is a little patience and checking in on sites like CheapAssGamer on a regular basis.

For those that wind up blasting through a game right away and then selling it to get back to get as much value as possible on the resale side....well, I can understand those people pre ordering or buying games right away at full price. If done right, you can get back 75-80% of the value of the game and turn around and dump it into the next one. You basically wind up paying around $10 a game. I never sell my games so that really isn't a viable strategy for me. I still own 99% of all the games I have ever purchased, dating back to my Atari 2600 and Commodore 64 days (the collector in me). I really enjoy going back and replaying games that I really liked. In fact, I would estimate that roughly 25% of my gaming time is spent replaying older games.

So again, I very rarely ever pre order games. Just not worth it in my book. Better to just sit back, wait 6-12 weeks and save 20-30 bucks. I buy a lot of games so those savings add up to significant amounts of money at the end of the day.

Last edited:

Kenny007

I generally don't, but I'm going to try it out more this year than in years past, just to see how it goes.

Usually, when I preorder, it is for PC titles that I know I'll like, and only then because the preorder discount is significant. Console titles aren't as heavily discounted or as often, so I tend to just trade for those. I jumped back into console gaming in 09 and since that time have almost exclusively traded for my games. Without the trading option, console gaming is just too costly in the wake of lower PC title costs. That said, my favorite trading venues have been muscled out (literally) of the picture; first Goozex and then VG5, where I had over 600 trades collectively. I'm now at 99G, but trading there is a bit slower than I'm accustomed to.

Which brings us full circle with my opening statement. This past week, Best Buy's GCU program was 67% off, from $99 to $30, so I decided to give it a try. Preordered titles will generally be around $48 + tax, and I'm hoping that if I complete the title within the first month of ownership (shouldn't be a problem for most console titles; I don't MP on consoles often), trading values tend to float around $38-$42, of which GCU adds an additional 10%. When all is said and done, I'm hoping to essentially rent new titles for a few bucks. I have no idea if it'll work or not, but I'm trying it starting today with The Order: 1886. Given how short the title is supposed to be (~10 hrs), I think at least the 'finish fast' part of the plan should be easy enough. We'll see.

If it doesn't pan out, I'll just use GCU for the few games I really want, like Uncharted and Battlefields (though Hardline is pushing me away from the series), and let the plan expire in 2 years. Outside of cost savings or juggling like I intend, there's seldom a reason to preorder; it isn't like many places run out of titles to sell, though I guess some people like the trinkets they throw in from time to time.

I've pre-ordered batman arkham knight batmobile edition on the ps4 and that is my first and probably last pre order ill ever do. It's a good thing i pre ordered it cuz the next 30 minutes they were gone and i also heard that they won't be making anymore bat mobile editions so i got lucky

Dosto28

i used to preorder games but now barely do this cause I have other priorities that need that money, also it doesnt worth since i barely have time now to play them. The last game i preordered was GTAV and Resident evil HD

Last edited:

ryokoayekalover

i pre-order the mass majority of my games for the pre-order bonuses as well since many games i buy come with bonuses but for the games that don't i tend to wait till release day to order it so i can save some extra cash with reward points(on amazon since took that power away on preorders last year)

DarkPhoenix

i pre-order the mass majority of my games for the pre-order bonuses as well since many games i buy come with bonuses but for the games that don't i tend to wait till release day to order it so i can save some extra cash with reward points(on amazon since took that power away on preorders last year)
Same here.

Survival Horror

I do only for the games that I am crazy for them.Last pre orders were The Last Of Us,Beyond:Two Souls and The Evil Within,all with special edition of course.

chunji

I used to, it's been quite awhile unfortunately. I had to be really excited about it, and the last few years I haven't had as much money to spend on games. The last game I preordered was Catherine. Missed the special edition by a day :(