• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSN PSN Blackout: Sony Has Yet To Determine If Credit Card Information Was Stolen

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
psnetwork.jpg

With the PSN out of commission due to a 'external intrusion,' many are wondering if personal details tied to PSN accounts are safe. Responding to concerns, Sony Computer Entertainment*spokesperson Satoshi Fukuoka told PC World that the company "has not yet determined" the exact nature of the breach. [...]

Continue reading: PSN Blackout: Sony Has Yet To Determine If Credit Card Information Was Stolen...

january39

eXo Staff
Great...

Dan

Contributor
Luckily I delete my credit card information after each purchase I make on the store, however I hope it isn't still stored somewhere, unencrypted like it was before.

Seriously, I'm going to be majorly pissed off if this is true. Sony have been nothing but a letdown recently.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
Luckily I delete my credit card information after each purchase I make on the store, however I hope it isn't still stored somewhere, unencrypted like it was before.

Seriously, I'm going to be majorly pissed off if this is true. Sony have been nothing but a letdown recently.
it isn't sent over plain text, the psn connection has always been over a SSL connection, alot of sites picked up the "plain text" headline, and didn't bother to read the rest of the information. sure their's still a chance for a man in the middle type of hack with the ssl connection, but overall it's fairly secure

TeamOverload

I would assume it's still stored on their server side somewhere.

Just keep on checking yourself until we know for sure, and we should all be good. Granted, it's a hassle if anything was, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
What ever happened with the theory that the reason for the shutdown was unauthorized access to the developers network by a number of users? If that was the case then they shouldn't have access to said information, yet the entirety of PSN shouldn't have been shut down as a result. The dev network itself could've been, or so I would assume.

What I currently think about the breach: unauthorized access of a private network followed by the piracy of games (a CFW earlier this month could gain access to the PSN Dev server I think).

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
My theory is that PSN has been breached for months and it went undetected. Sony has no idea how long, which means they also have no idea if backups are compromised as well. That's why they've resorted to rebuilding the entire network. Maybe all the folks connecting to sp-int and prod-qa woke up their sysadmins, but I doubt it's the reason for taking the ENTIRE network offline, unless their infrastructure really is that poor...

Really a worst case scenario, but with 5 days of downtime and counting, something major happened. The miniscule number of people on CFW grabbing free games is a drop in the bucket compared to how much money they are losing from this outage, not to mention PR damage.

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
I would assume it's still stored on their server side somewhere.
I actually know compliance requirements (I deal with such things professionally). Compliance dictates that (without going into lots of details):

a: creditcard numbers are encrypted immediately on submission, prior to transmission and processing @ the clearing site so at best you're dealing with readable credit card info as stated over SSL.

b: it's illegal for them to store the credit card numbers. They may have the encrypted number stored somewhere in a log but it's useless as decryption is impossible.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Well, they do have the number stored since it is saved for future PSN purchases. I'm sure the CC numbers are encrypted but I wouldn't say decryption is impossible. At least, not as long as you have the key that was used to encrypt.

If Sony's network is setup properly it shouldn't be possible to get the key, or whatever logic Sony uses to encrypt. Any sane system would have the decryption routines on another off-site server.

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
Yeah impossible is too strong a word but nevertheless they wouldn't have the keys required for decryption.

january39

eXo Staff

Hellcat

Contributor
If Sony's network is setup properly it shouldn't be possible to get the key, or whatever logic Sony uses to encrypt. Any sane system would have the decryption routines on another off-site server.
Ehrm.... we are talking SONY here.... so, about this "properly set up" thing.... ;)

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Ehrm.... we are talking SONY here.... so, about this "properly set up" thing.... ;)

Yeah yeah yeah. Hate Sony wah-wah.

Ontopic:

I seriously doubt whoever was behind this was after our credit cards. Rather they just wanted to take the Jihad against Sony a step further and they were pirating stuff from the dev network while some other idiots were doing a LOIC attack to the servers and got access to admin passwords and whutnot. So the network was taken down to rebuild from scratch. I'd say we have two weeks to one month of downtime, because rebuild a network shouldn't be easy no matter how many people you have working on it.

Well, glad I only play singleplayer games :p

january39

eXo Staff
One month! I would be complaining after that long... One/two weeks i can handle but no online gaming for a month. I can't think about it :D

MenaceInc

Staff Member
One month! I would be complaining after that long... One/two weeks i can handle but no online gaming for a month. I can't think about it :D

Pfft you kids and your online gaming. I remember back when it was just me on my own against 8 DarkSims. Those fuckers were a right proper challenge. Then there were the epic single player games.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Pfft you kids and your online gaming. I remember back when it was just me on my own against 8 DarkSims. Those fuckers were a right proper challenge. Then there were the epic single player games.

I couldn't agree more my friend xD I still remember the days when careful planning was made into the single player modes and the multiplayer was just an add-on. Nowadays it's the complete opposite.

january39

eXo Staff

Well, as do i - I played many mnay games on the PS1 and the PS2 all of which were single player, i do enjoy the multi player element though lol