• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Brave Fencer Musashi

Forbidden

I sincerely apologize if this question has been asked in the past. As I am a little new to the whole homebrew scene, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Alright, first of all, I am not an entire newbie when it comes to homebrew. I understand the lingo(brick, CFW, etc.), I know what the ProQuake engine is, I know what .PRX files are, I have even created my own PSX to PSP conversion(Red Alert Retaliation).

Here's the story:

I have the following-
PSP 2001, CFW 6.39 ME-8
Brave Fencer Musashi(disk and ISO)
Magic Memory Stick PRO Duo 2 GB
PSX2PSP V 1.4.2
USB Cable
I want to understand the following-
Yes, I have tried converting it myself. I don't know what POPS I would need, or if I would need it in the first place, but could someone please help me make sense of this? Right now, if I try loading it with 6.39's flash POPS, it won't even get to the original Sony PSX logo. It stays that way. However, I am able to access the normal menu for PSX games(you know, when you press "Home".) and am able to make choices in that. Therefore, the system itself is not freezing.
:confused1:
Any ideas, or am I on a pointless quest to find a crystal skull that doesn't exist?

Spiros

Maiki
I don't know for sure, but possibly the game isn't supported at all on the PSP (I don't believe every PSX game works on the PSP), do you know for sure that this game is supposed to work on the PSP? Maybe it is just the version of POPS that doesn't work so well with it, you can try using popsloader, if there isn't one available for 3.39, just update to 6.60 ME v1.3, I know there is a popsloader for that firmware.

Forbidden

They have created a POPSloader that goes all the way up to 6.39. However, I am not real genius when it comes to POPSloader, so I cannot seem to get the correct files and where they need to go. Now, I'm not promoting the idea of someone posting a complete POPSloader(.PRX copyright or something?), I just wish someone knew exactly how they did it. If you go to YouTube, and type in "Brave Fencer Musashi on PSP", people have figured it out. Not to say they haven't without difficulty. I really want to know: what game ID, what firmware, PSP version, settings, etc. Oh, yes, I know some games aren't even supported. Due to this, not every game will work.

january39

eXo Staff
You would need to try all the other pops to see which works best, if any. There are guides for extracting all the files needed everywhere - takes some time to do though.

This guide can give you the process http://forums.exophase.com/showthread.php?t=5531 although it is a little out of date the principle is the same, it has been a long time but i am certain additional files are needed after 4.01 - might need some google action for that bit.

Forbidden

Well, january39, that tutorial made everything a whole lot easier. Google, a search engine of great magnitude, does help. I will just surf around for a bit, try things out, and so on. This leaves me wondering... what about Game ID's? Do they affect how POPSloader executes the EBOOT.PBP? And, is there a different outcome when using Popstation versus PSX2PSP? I preferably use PSX2PSP, because I like it's interface and how you can customize practically every aspect of the output.

EDIT: I will post a status update when I've completed trying stuff. Another question, will PSARDumper get me ALL the required files? Or, just some, and I have to hound around the web to find missing ones?