• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Gran Turismo 5

Slasher

Suck It
Sooooo... it's finally out.

[video=youtube;WH3weB3e44s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH3weB3e44s&feature=player_embedded#at=80[/video]

Was it worth the wait?

How is it?

From what I gather after reading several reviews,

Positives:
The car mechanics/physics are refined and spot on (one of the most impressive & accurate depictions as far as games and driving goes) cars handle near-exact as they would in real life, there's plenty of content and stuff to do (1000+ cars, several different tracks each able to be experienced differently, lots of variety, lots to unlock, etc), visually spectacular but NOT CONSISTENT.

Negatives:
Presentation is awful - Menu's are clunky and seem stuck in the past, long loading/waiting periods, online is intricately designed (providing lots of options able to be altered, but very cumbersome having to do so for every single race) and is also somewhat unreliable, while graphics are for the most part "spectacular" there are many noticeable flaws drawing away from the experience (many cars are awful [PS2] quality, and sometimes shadows can appear jagged, backgrounds flat, etc), AI still acts like bumper cars on a mostly predetermined path.

All in all, it is supposed to be an amazing game, but it could have been done better with some very simplistic alterations. This is more or less the same formula as previous Gran Turismo games.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Disappointed. That is all I can say.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Disappointing but let's be realistic, with 5 years of the development time behind GT5 there was no way Polyphony could match the hype. Expectations were sky high.

I've seen a few shots of the 'PS2 quality' cars, looks horrendous in stills. However in motion it's not so bad. Check this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIYi4MdmFKE

What disappointed me is the quality of the shadows. They're like a downgrade from GT5: P. At least the performance is solid, there's no frame rate drops or anything like that.

The cars in photo mode look absolutely GORGEOUS from what I've seen. Hopefully that's what we'll see in real-time with GT6 on PS4.

Hellcat

Contributor
I can live with "PS2 quallity cars" and forked up shadows as long as the game plays well.

Gameplay > GFX
But that's commonly forgotten these days.

Though, I'd liked to have some massive eyecandy on the menus o_o

Well, I guess it's due for a testplay at the local games store to evaluate the actual gameplay.... afterall.... got a collection to complete :D

Bran

Yell
This is definitely a game I'd rent before buying. I played a lot of GT3, never touched 4. I hope it's good cause I need a driving game.

Robby

Los Doyers!
I can live with "PS2 quallity cars" and forked up shadows as long as the game plays well.

Gameplay > GFX
But that's commonly forgotten these days.

Though, I'd liked to have some massive eyecandy on the menus o_o

Well, I guess it's due for a testplay at the local games store to evaluate the actual gameplay.... afterall.... got a collection to complete :D
With the hype that this game was getting, and the time it took to make it, I want the best graphics.

Deathrow

I loved it. Well....at the least the time I got to spend with testing the game. Honestly, the game is not too much of a "disappointment" as everyone says. It definitely blows GT4 our of the water, so I can't believe people are this picky over the next installment. Plan on getting a PS3 and this one is most likely going to by games to get list.

I'm buying this tomorrow. I don't mind the "ps2 cars" really... I'm into GT for its accuracy in simulation and the tuning of the vehicles.

Slasher

Suck It
I rarely feel this way about a game, but I really think I'm addicted. I haven't played previous Gran Turismo's before, but this game is a lot of fun. It's all I've been thinking about the past few days.

Also, the graphics are sort of growing on me now. I think at first my expectations were way too incredibly high - I expected really nothing short of near-perfection. I was a little disappointed at first, because obviously that's not exactly possible on current-gen platforms, but as I continued to play it I've come to really appreciate the beauty it does have to offer. It's kind of tough for me to explain, but the graphics really do look pretty incredible, even if you do get a brief glimpse of the poor stuff once in a while.

FYI, photo mode is incredible. Pretty much looks real. I wish in-game looked like the photos I've taken. I mean, all they'd really need to do is decrease shutter speed a bit to help with blur/AA effects and add in some filters. I guess it would be too much of a strain on the processor and would decrease FPS?

Anyways great game, glad I bought it

TeamOverload

Just got this from the lady as an early/early Christmas gift. Was probably concerned I'd end up finding a good deal and buying it, knowing the way I am =p

Anyways: Been playing all afternoon and I can't put it down. The game is addicting that's for sure. However, that's not to say, it's not without its shortcomings. I haven't played a GT game since 2, and honestly, I feel as though not much has changed since then. Licenses, special events, car dealers, yeah we get it. It's literally the same exact setup as all those. For those who have played GT4, I can only imagine how ridiculously alike this must seem to them.

There is a ridiculous amount of content, that can definitely keep car junkies busy for hours, going for all the cars. You're gonna need some serious cash to even scratch the surface. I can't stop collecting them in this game, and enjoying every minute of it every time I pick up a new ride. With all the content though, at times it does feel as though they put TOO much stuff in, and skimped on some areas as a result. For example: the track "editor" has little to no use at all, as the user is offered very little input. NASCAR events such as those done in Quick Races feature only twelve drivers by default, and you will see more than one of the same racer. Kinda breaks the immersion for NASCAR fans looking to enjoy some of their sports action.

The premium car/standard car difference really is mind blowing. I find myself not even wanting to drive anything that's not premium. It's just not nice to look at, at all.

All that being said, this game is definitely worth it for any racing game fan. Pick it up, you'll enjoy it.

PS: What is up with B-series races? Boring as shit in my opinion.

Edit: And would it have been that hard to add FF/Rewind/Pause functionality to the replays? Would really help when you want to take a nice screenshot for sure.