• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[GUIDE] The Ultimate 3.XX/4.XX/5.XX++ Kernel Homebrew List

Slasher

Suck It
I thought it would be a good idea to create a solid list of 3.xx++ kernel compatible homebrew. I'm not talking about 1.50 kernel homebrew that happens to work on the slim; but actual games developed saying they use the 3.xx++ kernel. (I might make a few exceptions)

UPDATE
With the recent release of 4.01 M33, I will continue updating this list with current 4.xx released homebrew as well. All previous 3.xx titles should work on 4.xx firmware as well since there is no real huge difference between the two kernels.

UPDATE #2
With the recent release of 5.00 M33, I will continue updating this list with current 5.xx released homebrew as well. All previous titles should still work on 5.xx firmware as well since there is no real huge difference between the kernels.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--- Emulators
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PSPAtari
A fully functional oldschool Atari emulator.

SMS Plus
A Sega Master System emulator and Game Gear emulator all in one!

RACE! PSP
A NeoGeo Pocket and Pocket Colour emulator.

DGEN (Download this first, then download this and overwrite the eboot.pbp in the first download)
A nearly full speed Sega Genesis emulator.

Picodrive
Another Sega Genesis emulator that additionally supports Megadrive, and Sega CD/Mega CD. This works even faster than DGEN, although actual BIOS files are required in order for it to work.

Snes9xTYL
A decent speed SNES emulator for the PSP.

SNES
An Snes9xTYL mod with increased speeds and bug fixes.

NesterJ
Full speed NES emulator, features a unique rewind and mirror mode.

RIN
A full speed original gameboy and gameboy colour emulator, which also features a rewind and mirror mode.

gpSP mod
A full speed Game Boy Advance emulator. This emulator requires the gba_bios.bin file though, so you'll need to find it on your own with Google.

DOSBox
A DOS emulator compatible with the PSP.

PSPKVM
A java virtual machine emulator. This emulator can run cellphone games/apps in the .jar file format.

DaedalusX64 Beta 2
Plays your favourite N64 roms, at a lately increasing speed. Although games aren't full speed, they're certainly improving with each new release.

--- Applications

----------------------------------
--- Useful Tools

Eloader
This is an absolute essential for every slim owner. Use this to load a lot of the previously made 1.5 kernel-based homebrew.

PatchSFO
This tool patches some eboots to become compatible with the 3.xx kernel. It won't work for all homebrews, but may work with some.

Luaplayer
Luaplayer made compatible for the 3.xx++ kernel. Luaplayer is used to run lua scripts on your PSP.

RemoteJoy
Use this to display the contents of your psp screen onto your PC monitor. Whether it's playing homebrew, or taking snapshots, it's definitely pretty nifty!

Fusa
This plugin allows even regular composite cables to be used while playing games/homebrew. Very useful for playing homebrew on your TV.

Recovery Flasher
This tool is essential if you want to reflash a semi-bricked PSP or if you wish to go to previous versions of custom firmware. Can run straight from the recovery menu of your cfw.

PSPident
Use this tool to find out information about your PSP. Find out what motherboard you have!

Netfront Internet Browser Beta 3 Mod
This tool allows you to use all available ram for the internet browser. It makes the internet browser much faster, and allows the flawless loading of larger webpages.

LEDA beta 0.2
This is for the slim users out there on M33 custom firmware. Install LEDA and it will allow you to natively load most previously made 1.0 & 1.5 kernel-based homebrew.

CXMB v3.3
This plugin allows users with 5.00 M33 to install custom XMB themes in CTF format straight from the memory stick.

Pandora Installer 4b
This tool allows you to do many Pandora-themed things. Allows you to prep your memory stick with DDC, turn it into a magic memstick, convert batteries to Pandora and back to normal, install the TimeMachine IPL, and many other useful things!

--- Useful Apps

PSPWrite v1.2.0
An excellent text editor for the PSP. Edit your files on the go! Now supports syntax highlighting for LUA and C++ programming languages.

BookR
Bookr is a plain text and PDF reader for the PSP. Very sleek for reading things on the go.

Bermuda CS 9
Bermuda is a nifty paint program made for your psp. Paint a masterpiece!

Academic Aid
Academic Aid is built specifically to help you in the fields of Algebra I, Algebra II, Calculus, Trigonometry, Physics I, and Physics AP.

--- Organizational Apps

iR Shell v5.0
A great app, able to do all sorts of things. A shell that is able to launch homebrew, view savedata, change files, launch UMDs, listen to MP3s while doing anything, among a ton of other things!

PSPFiler
Use this to move, edit, copy, paste, delete, etc, anything on your memstick.

homebrewSorter
An app made to sort the homebrew on your memorystick. Very useful for organizing what order you wish to see your homebrew.

PSP-PDA v1.3.2
The ultimate organizational app. Includes a notepad, address book, calendar, calculator, music capabilities, image viewing, file manager, and clock. Even has IR keyboard support for people with PSP-1000's.

--- Wifi Apps

Ultimate PSPTube 2.0 - HighMemoryMod
Watch youtube videos (and similar other video streaming sites) on the go! This release includes a high memory mod which makes use of the extra ram present in the psp slim. Check here, if you wish to use the regular 2.0 version without the high memory mod.

PSPIRC v1.1.6
As the name implies, this is a portable IRC client.

PSPoste
An email client for the PSP, utilizing the wifi capabilities.

PSPRadio
Listen to internet radio on your PSP! This is an absolute must have

AirCrack-PSP
Use this app to crack routers passwords and allow your PSP to use internet connections which have encryption protection. Allows decrypting WEP, WPA-PSK(TKIP), and WPA-PSK(AES).

CTorrentPSP
This is a lightweight torrent client for the PSP.

Adhoc Messenger v0.5
Use this app to send text and communicate with other PSP's in the nearby area by utilizing the PSP's ad hoc capabilities.

PSP Ad Hoc File Transfer 0.7
Send files between upto 6 nearby PSP's over an ad hoc connection. Very useful for sharing homebrew games, media files, etc.

PReSS v0.4
An RSS reader for the PSP supporting text, images, and even MP3's. An excellent app if you're wanting to stay updated with the latest news from your favourite websites.

PSP-Maps 2.1
Kind of like google maps. It downloads map data through wifi and displays satellite images and street info on the PSP screen. Also compatible with the PSP-GPS device. You can read a tutorial on how to use it here.

AFKIM v3.3.7
A universal instant messenger client for the PSP which supports msn messenger, yahoo, aim, ICQ, and even GTalk.

--- Media Apps

PMPlayer
This will enable you to play PMP encoded video files. Also supports TV-OUT for the PSP Slim, very cool.

LightMP3
Play your favourite tunes while using less battery power! This program lowers the PSPs CPU to allow for longer battery life. Also supports many different formats including MP3, FLAC, AT3, OGG, and im sure there's loads more.

PSP Rhythm 8.0
PSP Rhythm is a digital music sequencer that allows novices and experienced users alike to mix sound samples and loops to create a musical arrangement.

--- Games

--- Shooting Games

CSPSP
A top down shooter that's based on Counter-Strike. Features online play. This game is a ton of fun!

Polygun Wars
Similar to the popular geometry wars. Fly around and shoot different shapes. Features stunning visuals, and solid gameplay. Lots of fun!

Asterz
Similar to oldschool Asteroids but with more of a modern twist. Features different weapons, powerups, and enemies.

cdogsPSP
A port of the classic cyberdogs shooter, lots of fun pixel blasting action.

Shoot Arcade
Neat game where you shoot targets.

Quake
The classic PC giant that made fps's what they are today. Quake for the PSP.

CSPortable
A clone of the popular Counter-Strike game. Supports adhoc as well as infrastructure I believe for multiplayer matches.

Doom
The classic doom ported to the psp. Supports full TV-OUT for the slim.

Duke 3D
Duke Nukem 3D ported for playing on the PSP.

Kurok
A very cool quake mod based off of Turok the dinosaur hunter.

PSP Dungeon
An excellent 3D first person shooter game. You must get to the end of the level while avoiding enemies at the same time.

--- Flying Games

OpenTyrian
A classic top-down shooter, tons of fun to play

Chromium
A fun space shooter

Crazy Gravity Portable
Maneuver your ship against gravity and beat the several levels included

Apollonia v0.03
Fly a helicopter around and destroy tanks and vehicles that are targeting friendly buildings.

--- Platformers

Jump n' Bump
A port of the Linux platformer Jump n' Bump

REminiscence
A fun game using the Flashback engine. Sort of a puzzle shooter action adventure type game. Note: requires files from the original game.

Metal Blob Solid
Port by Deniska of a linux platformer. Enticing solid gameplay while also including tactical esiponage action is a wonderful mix. Check it out.

Alex the Allegator 4
Alex the Allegator is a platformer that tasks players with guiding Alex through the jungle in order to save his girlfriend Lola from evil humans who want to make a bag out of her.

System Trouble R4
With 51 levels of platforming puzzle action, you can't go wrong with this homebrew!

Cave Story RC1
A retro style action-adventure title featuring Metroid-like exploration elements.

--- General Games

Fall Ball
Very simple game, guide your ball through the holes in the floor.

Tic-Tac-Toe
A simplistic game of tic-tac-toe. Enjoy!

Deal or No Deal
Based on the famous game show.

PSP Revolution (also download this and overwrite the original files)
Just like stepmania/DDR, except for your PSP. I've played countless hours of this game and it is truly a must for every PSP homebrew collector out there. Highly recommended. (Hey, with over 200,000 downloads, you can't go wrong, eh?)

Wagic
Similar to the popular Magic card game. If you're a fan this is definitely worth checking out!

Ragdoll Cannon v2.11
Shoot a ragdoll person out of a cannon ball and try to hit the target. The many objects in the way make this homebrew challenging.

--- Arcade Games

Orbid
A neat game, in which you go around and eat other orbs and try to survive. Made by yours truly :)

Freeesh
Freeesh puts you in control of a molecule. Your job is to ensure that it grows by eating smaller molecules. Very fun game!

Stakker
A sweet game utilizing an advanced physics engine. This game won the competition over at psp-hacks and is truly a worthy game to play. Build up blocks, and then shoot them down.

Attack of the Mutants
A great game worthy of this list. Maneuver your way around flying pizzas, asteroids, and angry faces! A PSP homebrew classic. Be sure to use the 1.0 labelled version for it to work.

Panic Paradyz
A very professionally made game, I've had lots of fun playing it. Guide the lost souls to the end of each level all the while dodging various obstacles.

Powernoid V4e
Powernoid is a Breakout clone featuring a wide variety of levels and powerups.

Bugz PSP
Try to pop as many bugs as possible to get a new high score. Features game sharing, official PSP savedata saving, and even an online high score table.

Bumper Harvest v1.1
Fire a pinball-like ball and try to hit as many bumpers as possible before the ball goes out of the play area.

Kitten Cannon
Just like the well known flash game titled "Kitten Cannon". You fire a kitten out of a cannon and try to get it to go as far as possible by bouncing it off of explosions and things, while avoiding spikes and deadly plants.

--- Puzzle Games

Hex-A-Hop
Destroy all of the green hexagonal tiles. As you progress through the game, more types of tiles are introduced which make things more difficult and interesting.

EyeLiner
Each stage of this game will require you to collect a certain amount of "capsules" to allow you entry to a new area. Definitely a keeper!

Newton War
An extremely cool game where you must beat the various stages to move on.

Hexaxis XXI
An awesome puzzle game that mixes various elements from mainstream puzzle games such as Tetris, Lumines, etc.

TetriAbetes
The classic brick-dropping game known as Tetris, totally revamped.

Minesweeper
Just like the classic windows minesweeper, but now available on the PSP!

--- Racing/Driving Games

Purple Motion
Purple Motion is a top-down view racing game. You much avoid the various obstacles and reach the end. Another very professionally made game, check it out!

Awaker
Unique game in which you race along a set path and try to beat the opponent. There's "static fields" that you must avoid.

Kosmodrone
Some classic top-down racing in a futuristic setting.

ThrottleX v0.2
A fully 3d game in which you drive around in a car and try to get through all of the gates or get to the end of each level. An awesome game sure to use up a lot of free time. There's no "racing" involved, but you're driving a car so I thought it would fit in here. Be sure to use the 1.0 folder version for it to work

JellyCar v1.1
This game is a must-have. Control a jelly car and drive it through various obstacles and challenges.

--- Sim Games

OpenTTD
A port of Transport Tycoon Deluxe. Note: requires several copyrighted files.

Anybody who wants to contribute: Please let me know by posting homebrews in here than I can put up. :)

NOTE: This is a continuous WIP, there's still plenty more to add to the list :)

Noriyuke

Is there anyway you could possibly add Revolution to the list? You know, the DDR wannabe? i thought this was shit back in the day and i dont want it to disappear.

EDIT: I also noticed you dont have Attack of the Mutants, back in the day that was also the shit. please add that as well. if your familiar with QJ at all you should know where to find them.

EDIT2: There's a really bad ass side scroll shooter that i cant remember that name to, it had a demo that was made and then only 2 levels were created for it to the best of my knowledge, but i'm not exactly sure.

And I'm not trying to fill this up with bullshit home brew mind you, but i am pointing out some hidden treasures to genres you minght not recognize all to well, or might not like at all.

Slasher

Suck It
You've suggested quality homebrew in the wrong place unfortunately. Check out the thread title: "Ultimate 3.XX/4.XX/5.XX++ Kernel Homebrew List".

All of those homebrew you mentioned were made for the 1.5 Kernel. Believe me, I've been in the scene since the beginning. I had 1.5 kernel before it was ever exploited. I'm aware of those homebrew and would gladly add them if they worked in the 3.xx++ Kernel.

I'll add PSPRevolution though because I think a 3.xx++ kernel version was in fact released.

Seth

MD Party Room
AFKIM ???

and are you working on a Ultimate 1.5 Kernel thread..

Slasher

Suck It
Noriyuke said:
Wait so your telling me no ones bothered to bring over Attack of the Mutants to the newer kernels?
In most cases it's not as simple as "making it work for the newer kernels".

With some older homebrews you can simply unkxploit the eboot and then patch the param.sfo.
With most though, it requires the source code. So without the original source code, you can't fix it for the newer kernels.

Noriyuke

Slasher said:
In most cases it's not as simple as "making it work for the newer kernels".

With some older home brews you can simply unkxploit the eboot and then patch the param.sfo.
With most though, it requires the source code. So without the original source code, you can't fix it for the newer kernels.

So your telling me, that Attack of the Mutants, a very bad ass home brew game which i very much got addicted to, is one of those games that require the source code, and it hasn't been patched over for some reason because the source code possibly went missing? Or possibly the creators of said home brew have decided not to care about its fans anymore? Or possibly because something happened to said group and the source code is possibly still in someones thumb drive?

Whatever the case may be, basically no attempt has been made to patch this over? Or have they tried to no avail? Or have they been to lazy to even attempt?

Slasher

Suck It
AOTM uses the 1.5 kernel for whatever reason, so yes it will only be possible to convert it to the newer kernels if the source code is made available. The author of AOTM had never released the source code, so it's kind of hard for anybody but the author to make that happen. It would be a very simple process to make it work with the newer kernels.

You could try contacting the author if you really wanted to.

Noriyuke

Yeah, but i don't have any kind of understanding for programming, especially on the PSP, so the source code wouldn't do me any good. It just kinda hurt me, surprised me, and pissed me off. All in one, it was weird. Like i was some kind of flashback, if you wanna call it that, of a lot of convo's i had on QJ about the possibilities of wireless ad hoc play on it and a few other things, and it kinda pissed me off that the dude didn't even bother porting to give the new jitterbugs a chance to check it out.

Noriyuke

Ok, ill start coordinating something. You wouldn't happen to know the name of the author? i'm in the middle of sifting through QJ forums as well as the Downloads page for the author.

Edit: Found the Author DeNitro's the name, finding the email's the game.

I also have the latest files for the game, thanks to the archives of QJ, just in case you want the file. lemme know.

Edit2: Ok, i hit a dead end,

http://forums.qj.net/member.php?u=7673

This is DeNitro he hasn't been on QJ since 2006, or so Qj's records say. So im pretty sure any PM i send him would get nowhere.

Maybe i have to coordinate with people he used to work with and maybe try my luck there. I only really know one person from the Home brew front, Xigency off of QJ, and i haven't spoken to him in like years. Plus, i don't think hes even 18 yet.

Noriyuke

wow you took that extra step i was kinda too lazy to do, but thanks! i guess now its time to harass someone for some source code.

So you know Xigency huh? Tell that mofo to get working on Fight for Freedom! I had hopes for that little home brew game.

EDIT: Ive spoken to him, he says it wasn't that hard of a game to make anyway, is the source code really necessary? he also said go back to your soup. Whatever that means.

Noriyuke

Slasher said:
Wait, you spoke to denitro, or to xigency?

I'm on the soup already, damn

I talked to Madness bro. Xigency. Denitro i've been spamming to no avail. He must not use that email anymore, i'm also watching his MSN activity, also to no avail.

So yea, i'm kinda pissed.

Slasher

Suck It
Hey, guess what?

Call me stupid, but I just tried out AOTM and it worked just fine on my 5.01 kernel PSP... :D

My bad.

Added it to the list!

Noriyuke

Which one? O.4a?

And I might just shank you... but you know what, i kinda feel silly because i haven't even bothered trying it. But i will be copying it to the PSP now. Hehe.

Edit: I was kinda bored this morning so i started looking around for some of the old school home brew i liked. I found a few and some didn't work, like Halo genocide didn't work for some reason. But i did find someone who actually made decent home brew back in the day who's still at it. Deniska, hes got his own Dev page on DC emu and you don't have his home brew up on this thread of yours.

Heres his Site: http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/ Maybe there are a few things that we can add to this list from his works.