• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Hacker claims PS Vita PKG archives extracted and decrypted

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
SKFU now claims he has managed to extract and decrypt PKG game archives for the Vita. Apparently, Sony reused the PSP's AES key for securing the files *facepalm*.

There's no way to verify this right now so I'd file it under rumor, but it wouldn't be the first time Sony made a colossal slip-up.

After two sleepless nights and great help of iQD and PS3-690, finally the PS VITA .pkg xTractor application 1.00 is finished.

This program can decrypt & extract PS VITA game package (.pkg) files.

To use the program you need to place the PS VITA .pkg AES key in the same dir as the executable.

Funny as SONY is, they probably were to lazy to think of a new key and just used *hehe*, the PSP .pkg AES key.

Source: http://streetskaterfu.blogspot.com/2011/11/ps-vita-pkg-xtractor-100.html

Moose

Meta Moose
Surely they will have wasted their time if Sony decides that they are going to change the key/encryption prior to release? Or will it be too late?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Surely they will have wasted their time if Sony decides that they are going to change the key/encryption prior to release? Or will it be too late?

Yup, Sony can easily add new keys.

vane

Dude's an idiot if you ask me leaking all this info prior to a release. Keeping it till after the vita is released at least gives us the chance to stay on the release firmware if sony were to push out an update to patch this.

TwistedFate

'especially after the recent PS3 security blunder.'
What does that have to do with anything? The network was hacked, that has nothing to do with custom firmware for the PS3.
I wish these people would just fuck off already, it'll only lead to Sony releasing firmware after firmware update to stop it.

cboushell

TwistedFate says:
'especially after the recent PS3 security blunder.'
What does that have to do with anything? The network was hacked, that has nothing to do with custom firmware for the PS3.
I wish these people would just fuck off already, it'll only lead to Sony releasing firmware after firmware update to stop it.
cboushell says:
Are you really that dense? Do you not recall the the huge blunder that was the PS3s system security that was blown apart by fail0verflow? That is what they are referring to I woul think since the article is about a consoles system security. wow! Let Sony release FW update after FW update, the cat and mouse game has already begun and I LOVE IT!!!

Spiros

Maiki
It seems like this guy didn't say that Sony is using the same keys, he's only assuming that Sony might use the PSP's key.

This guy definitely just wants to be in the news, I mean what's the point of releasing this and then a couple days later releasing another version that adds an info tab. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong but I think it's ridiculous to assume that Sony would reuse the PSP's key for pkg encryption.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
It seems like this guy didn't say that Sony is using the same keys, he's only assuming that Sony might use the PSP's key.

This guy definitely just wants to be in the news, I mean what's the point of releasing this and then a couple days later releasing another version that adds an info tab. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong but I think it's ridiculous to assume that Sony would reuse the PSP's key for pkg encryption.

Nah that's definitely what he's saying, though it's worded a bit weird. The app checks for a keyfile with the PSP's AES keys for decryption.

Anyway... one thing to consider is that he's probably messing with dev/non-retail PKGs, unless he found a way to dump the memory cards used for retail games (I assume they have some sort of protection.) Still careless of Sony to use compromised keys for anything though. I would be shocked if this isn't fixed up for release.

Ozito

Well this is cool and all i really like when the consoles get cracked but this time i'm going to buy all the games on the vita, just like i did with the ps3.
I was pirating games until 3 years back when i noticed i barely took my time to play them through.
It's more fun with doing the whole buying ritual and the to have it neatly placed among the other bought games.

Moose

Meta Moose
Well this is cool and all i really like when the consoles get cracked but this time i'm going to buy all the games on the vita, just like i did with the ps3.
I was pirating games until 3 years back when i noticed i barely took my time to play them through.
It's more fun with doing the whole buying ritual and the to have it neatly placed among the other bought games.
I agree that there is something rather spectacular with buying the physical copy of a game and having it on your shelf.

sonnyz

Rated Aaargh
@Kurian..Of Borg Yes, yes he is. I don't know why his "press releases" continue to get picked up by gaming news sites.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Isn't SKFU a fraud/noob?

I'm not really sure what his track record is like. He's published info on PSN before that I saw nowhere else so I don't consider him a fraud.

I recall he posted links to some PSN access logs awhile back, not long after the hack... which Sony disabled only after SKFU published them.

He seems to be more of a research guy than dev though. Anyone with a bit of programming know-how could hack together these apps considering the AES key was already known and extracting files from an unknown container format isn't that difficult... more tedious than anything. Just a matter of having access to the files, which he seems to have.