• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Killzone 2

Slasher

Suck It
I'm surprised that a thread hasn't been created yet for this upcoming sure-to-be-a hit title.

Wikipedia said:
Killzone 2 is an upcoming hard sci-fi first-person shooter for the PlayStation 3, currently in development by Guerrilla Games and to be published by Sony Computer Entertainment. It is the third installment in the Killzone franchise that began on the PlayStation 2 with Killzone and was continued with Killzone: Liberation on the PlayStation Portable. First announced at E

Sullivan

I cannot wait for this, as I played a little of the PSP demo, didn't like how it was though.

This game is going to be great.

Scorned

Played the Beta, and from that...i didnt like the maps that much, but the gameplay was solid, but took a bit of time to get used to.

Slasher

Suck It
From what I've heard/seen apparently the beta was just incredible, I wish I could've taken part in it

Vee

I'm a little annoyed. I've heard this doesn't re-invent the FPS series. Its just a very polished FPS. I was expecting this to change how we look at FPS's all together. Its a shame, has so much more potential.

Adiuvo

What can you change about the FPS genre without making it an RPG?

The only thing to me seems like a cover system, but that's being done, and has been done in many games previous.

Sullivan

I was a bit sad when I missed out on the beta!

Vee

I'm not quite sure how they were supposed to go about reinventing the FPS :neutral:

Can you explain?

Mirrors Edge reinvented FPS's. Its quite easy.

Now that i think of it, reinvent was the wrong word to use. But what i meant was making it more then what every FPS is. One thing that hasn't been implemented into FPS's is injuries. It should be so that if your shot in the arm and its not fatal, your character has to on the fly, make a new animation for how he holds the gun. Obviously in real life, if your shot in your shoulder you cant continue to hold a gun that way. So if they added bits of realism like that, it would be great.

Another thing is, Killzone is kinda "reinventing" FPS's. Its adding silky smooth animations that haven't been done before and effects/graphics that haven't either. So its a huge leap ahead of other games, in terms of realism and immersion.

Slasher

Suck It
Vee, that sounds more like one of those things that would make me say "neat" at first, but then it would quickly become an annoyance considering in most FPS's you're going to be shot frequently which would cause for a lot of different 'injuries' :/

Fallout 3 had a body part damage thing which would cause you to become crippled, and it really had virtually no play into the actual game. You would just stimpak a body part that was taking damage, but it was really just a nuisance more than a positive gameplay factor...

Reinventing the FPS is likely something that is delivered in the form of gameplay modes. Re: Cod 4.
Cod 4 was really no different from any other FPS IMO, other than the fact that it had strong controls, and the gameplay modes were really unique (also taking into account the perks). It was how the game was played vs what you're proposing on how the game works

twelve

I'm not dead
Obviously in real life, if your shot in your shoulder you cant continue to hold a gun that way. So if they added bits of realism like that, it would be great.
And no longer any fun to play.

The closest and hopefully furthest we ever come to that is the Rainbow 6/Gears mechanic of getting hurt and needing a team mate to revive/recover you.

Colm

Fallout 3 had a body part damage thing which would cause you to become crippled, and it really had virtually no play into the actual game. You would just stimpak a body part that was taking damage, but it was really just a nuisance more than a positive gameplay factor...

A total nuisance but a bit more realistic. Crippled parts affected gameplay and caused people to need to be prepared before fighting. Two crippled arms means that you're going to end up shaking your gun more than Solid Snake. A crippled leg, slow movement. Although I don't know what torso\head cripples do...

Adiuvo

Torso reduces endurance so you take in rads faster, and head causes your screen to blur on occasion, along with reduced perception.

The normal settings weren't really one to fuss over. Stimpacks were so easy to get in vanilla that you never had to worry.

Joey

A total nuisance but a bit more realistic. Crippled parts affected gameplay and caused people to need to be prepared before fighting. Two crippled arms means that you're going to end up shaking your gun more than Solid Snake. A crippled leg, slow movement. Although I don't know what torso\head cripples do...

You could also target their gun, and shoot it out of their hands, which is fucking brilliant to me... It was the only way I was able to be one of the Super Mutants with a Rocket Launcher...

God damn it, I love Fallout 3.