• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Multi Mass Effect 2

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I've been playing for a good ten hours now and can honestly say my only real gripe is with the hacking mini-games. They are beyond dull this time around, consisting only of matching and memorization tasks. Worse, you can't bypass them using omni-gel. I tend to skip them now, unless there's a door that needs unlocking. The rewards from hacking PDAs and such usually just net you extra credits, not really worth the time you'd waste.

Just seems like a wasted opportunity as BioWare could have done something neat with these mini-games. Anyway.. it's a very minor flaw in an otherwise excellent game.

Joey

I've been playing for a good ten hours now and can honestly say my only real gripe is with the hacking mini-games. They are beyond dull this time around, consisting only of matching and memorization tasks. Worse, you can't bypass them using omni-gel. I tend to skip them now, unless there's a door that needs unlocking. The rewards from hacking PDAs and such usually just net you extra credits, not really worth the time you'd waste.

Just seems like a wasted opportunity as BioWare could have done something neat with these mini-games. Anyway.. it's a very minor flaw in an otherwise excellent game.

My jealousy is imeasureable.

agentnnc

That Guy I Am

My jealousy is also immeasurable. Here you are playing the game before the release. I'm going to have to wait until the 29th to get my copy because EB Games didn't get enough in their first shipment.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Ok here is my situation.

I've played Mass Effect 1 but only like the first couple of levels, never had time to put in it. I did enjoy what I did play and I thought the story was starting to get interesting.

Now with Mass Effect 2 coming out I want to play it because it looks sweet. But I don't want to be lost story-wise.

So this mainly goes to people who are playing ME2 right now.
Should I just get Mass Effect 2 when it drops or should I get the first Mass Effect and beat it then go to the second one?

TeamOverload

I don't have ME2 yet, but I'm in a similar situation. From what I've read review wise, ME2 does focus on A LOT of back story. That being said, you can also still enjoy it without having completed ME1, but you won't be getting the full experience.
Personally, I intend on going back and trying to finish ME1 sometime before picking up ME2.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
I would recommend playing the first one. I can't say I'm very far in the game, but the first game's events are referenced a lot so far.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Alright, I guess I'll pick it up this weekend.
How many hours would it take to complete it do you guys think?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Playing the first is a must IMO if you want to fully understand the story. ME1 takes about 10-15 hours to complete assuming you stick to only the main quest.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Dang they took the others down fast.
Oh well, atleast you guys still get something.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Have they improved the inventory system in ME2? I fired up the first game and started a second playthrough to level up my Shepard a bit more (currently L. 45 Vanguard) and my hate for the inventory system returned.

agentnnc

That Guy I Am
I heard they changed it but I can't confirm it. The only thing I hated about the inventory in ME1 was how the upgrades were sorted. Right now I supposably have 150 items when I only have 3 guns :S

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Have they improved the inventory system in ME2? I fired up the first game and started a second playthrough to level up my Shepard a bit more (currently L. 45 Vanguard) and my hate for the inventory system returned.

The entire inventory system has been revamped, it's nothing like ME1. All collected weapons / armor / tech upgrades are stored in loadout lockers. You can only change your working inventory when standing nearby any of these lockers - they are scattered across missions and situated on the Normandy. It's a bit dumbed down from ME1, I'd say, but much more streamlined. I kinda miss the fact you can't bind tech upgrades to individual weapons and armor though. Instead, tech upgrades always remain active and benefit an entire class of weapons, such as submachine guns.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I've got another question for those already playing the sequel.

[BLACKOUT]If you saved the Rachni Queen in the first game, do they make an appearance on your side in this one or are they waiting for the finale to string that together?[/BLACKOUT]

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I've got another question for those already playing the sequel.

[BLACKOUT]If you saved the Rachni Queen in the first game, do they make an appearance on your side in this one or are they waiting for the finale to string that together?[/BLACKOUT]

[BLACKOUT]You do talk to a woman on Illium who thanks Shepard for saving the Rachni race from extinction, but that's it really. Maybe you visit their colony later on in the game, I'm still only about halfway through.[/BLACKOUT]