• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Gaming Next PlayStation Due In Holiday 2013, Could Release Before Xbox Successor

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
ps1.jpg

While Sony themselves have suggested otherwise, at least on the public record, a new report from VG247 claims that the technology giant is "confident" of leap-frogging Microsoft into the next-generation.

A source has told the site that Sony is aiming for a holiday 2013 launch, which jives with recent rumors. The next Xbox is also rumored to debut around the same time, but apparently, Sony believes it has the jump on Microsoft.

Reportedly, specific publishers such as Ubisoft already have access to development hardware[...]

Continue reading: Next PlayStation Due In Holiday 2013, Could Release Before Xbox Successor...

bnaughty18

PlayStation 3S, ahahaha, ...what optical disc will it use?
PS1 - CDROM
PS2 - DVDROM
PS3 - Blu-Ray Disc
PS4 - ?
..no need for new console. :)

bnaughty18

PS3 can play downloadable games too, so what do you mean by "new playstation could be an all digital affair".

Seth

MD Party Room
Means be alot like the psp go, no disk drive...

Robby

Los Doyers!
Or they could just make every game downloadable.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I think we'll see day and date digital releases next-gen, like the Vita. But otherwise, I agree, too early for platform holders to abandon retail.

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
Yeah I'm of the same mindset. Maybe we'll see digital only 5-10 years from now but there's still a big percentage of gamers who prefer physical copies over digital when possible. Casual games aside, lots of people still like to build collections. Of course there's always a chance that they'll come up with new ways of selling at retail; I can see them putting out more collector's additions that contain digital download codes and goodies.

bnaughty18

u can't just throw the idea of physical copy of the game, look at PSVita, uses physical copy of the game "PSVita Game Card", ... a lot of folks out there still have no internet connection in their house.

Adiuvo

I can't see someone with no internet connection buying a console though. They might be there but the amount wouldn't be worth considering.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Just keep physical discs but have the option of buying a digital copy of a new game for say $5 cheaper or so.