• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Read THIS before you brick your PSP-3000

J

jx233

Here are some things to know before your PSP-3000 gets bricked while doing something risky on the ChickHEN.

Note: The ChickHEN does not brick PSPs! It is kernel mode homebrew that has flash0 access that is used incorrectly on the PSP that can cause a brick.

Recently 5.03 ChickHEN has been released, so that means users now have some access to the PSP flash. But, with flash access that means kernel mode applications like M33 updaters, theme flashers, and other flash related programs can be used. Those programs are dangerous for the PSP-3000, and on the HEN, they can be used at the user's will. That presents a problem as now users can brick their PSP as they can load risky programs.

I would like to post that if anyone installs a FULL custom firmware (including custom IPL) on their PSP-3000 running ChickHEN, they will brick their PSP. There is currently no unbricker for the PSP-3000, so if one bricks their PSP, there is absolutly no solution to it. If someone is curious why custom firmware does not work on the PSP-3000, please read some useful information on the PSP-3000's motherboard.

To prevent a brick happening, here are homebrew to stay away from:
  • Hellcat's Recovery Flasher (all releases)
  • M33 updaters (The FULL M33 firmwares only support PSP motherboards TA-079 through TA-088 V2.)
  • GEN installers (Those that flash custom IPL are dangerous; 5.03 GEN-A is very safe though.)
  • other custom firmware installers (Ones that are old,unstable,unsupported or those that install an IPL different than one of s0nY's 5.03)
  • theme flashers / flash0 themes; Examples: Project0, MaxFlasher series, etc.
  • flash spacing tools that free up memory in flash0
  • btcnf editors; Examples: BTCNF Edit v3, PluginToFlash (all releases) [They can only brick it when btcnfs are edited for 5.03 GEN-A or CFW Enabler]

It is advised not to mess with / tinker with / install to the flash0. So please do not attempt to install a [full] custom firmware on the PSP-3000 or do things with the flash0 unless you want a brick. Keep in mind that currently all bricks on the PSP-3000 are unrecoverable and permament and nothing can be done about them.

If you fail to head this advice, this could happen to your PSP:
attachment.php

Also, for more detailed information on this, please read Bubbletune's guide to [HEN] Careful Usage on your precious PSP [MforMature].

Alex

Will the brick happen if aanything is flashed to the flash or if it is unsupported?

like flashing a theme that is for the 3XX kernals?

J

jx233

Unsupported stuff will cause a brick, actaully most unsigned code flashed to the PSP-3000 will lead to a brick. If you flash something to the PSP-3000, and if it is not encrypted, you will end up with a brick.

Here is a quote from Bubbletune about flashing files:

Bubbletune said:
Let me clarify this before people start trying other theme files, as they will lead to a brick, for the simple reason that PRX's are unencrypted, and even though they are likely to load in the HEN environment, they will refuse to load when you return to official firmware (which you have to pass to load HEN).

I still suggest against flashing any files at all, because you make one mistake and you end up with a brick. Maybe wait till plugins like CXMB can be loaded instead...

Alex

So basically, anything not sony signed like gameboots OR prx's wont load on the 3k?

J

jx233

It's not about it loading on the PSP-3000, it is actaully about the firmware's inability to load unsigned code that is flashed to the flash0. If that firmware cannot load that code, then there is a brick.

Also,Gameboots and PGFs are the only things that are not encrypted by s0nY.

PRXs, RCOs, RSCs, BINs, etc. have s0nY protection on them, so if those are replaced, modified, or deleted, the user will end up in a hefty brick.

angelsniper45

Well flashing any theme on any fw/motherboard combo that wasnt originally written for it and you didnt take time to convert it, that will always brick.'

and how reliable is the homebrew? whos tried running this on a 3k?

edit: Is the newer version of this out yet for download that works with slims and what not?

Alex

Yes R2 was released to fix the loading of homebrews.
in R1 homebrew couldnt load.

J

jx233

angelsniper45 said:
Well flashing any theme on any fw/motherboard combo that wasnt originally written for it and you didnt take time to convert it, that will always brick.'

Official Firmware accepts only encrypted files when it comes to theme flashing.

If you flash a normal theme, it will brick the PSP because the Official Firmware cannot decrypt the files that were flashed; thus a brick happens.

EDIT: Thread closed by creator of thread by own choice / will.

EDIT2: Thread reopened for discussion.

KylBlz

VB, Java, and PHP programmer [soon PSP C++!]
Also, if you do a lot of flashing with say, PSPFiler [like me] it will corrupt your regestry and you will have to format flash1. just a warning btw. iv had to format my flash1 like 3 times testing my 13-27 flasher lol... all those network configs GONE

january39

eXo Staff
Also, if you do a lot of flashing with say, PSPFiler [like me] it will corrupt your regestry and you will have to format flash1. just a warning btw. iv had to format my flash1 like 3 times testing my 13-27 flasher lol... all those network configs GONE

There is a Homebrew app called Config Se which can back up all Flash1 settings, not sure if it will work on 4XX and 5XX platforms but it does work to back up flash1. :wink:

J

jx233

Twilight Cinder said:
I'm running ChickHEN R2 and GEN-A (Full) and I've had no problems. I only use it to play my PSX games on my PSP3000 though.

GEN-A does not install the custom IPL to the PSP, that is why it does not brick it.

5.03 GEN-A for PSP-3000 is just a custom firmware core that is rebooted into via an EBOOT program. (Similar to what Devhook does).

Also, first post has been updated.

psp318player

SMOOTH HACKER
so what app is safe to use to put CFW on my 3k and am i unable to use CTF themes? if so, i shouldve asked for a psp 2000

Alex

so what app is safe to use to put CFW on my 3k and am i unable to use CTF themes? if so, i shouldve asked for a psp 2000

YOU CANNOT PUT CFW ON PSP3K

you can only install a custon firmware enabler on 5.03 via chickhen

enitsirp

wait so what's the difference between Chickhen and chickhen mode 2 (those are the folder names for chickhen). if it's different, will changing from mode 2 to just Chickhen brick my psp if i use it to unlock the games?

MenaceInc

Staff Member
wait so what's the difference between Chickhen and chickhen mode 2 (those are the folder names for chickhen). if it's different, will changing from mode 2 to just Chickhen brick my psp if i use it to unlock the games?

Nope, it won't brick your PSP. As long as you don't use any apps that touch the flash storage, you'll be fine.

shinouray91

Here are some things to know before your PSP-3000 gets bricked while doing something risky on the ChickHEN.

Note: The ChickHEN does not brick PSPs! It is kernel mode homebrew that has flash0 access that is used incorrectly on the PSP that can cause a brick.

Recently 5.03 ChickHEN has been released, so that means users now have some access to the PSP flash. But, with flash access that means kernel mode applications like M33 updaters, theme flashers, and other flash related programs can be used. Those programs are dangerous for the PSP-3000, and on the HEN, they can be used at the user's will. That presents a problem as now users can brick their PSP as they can load risky programs.

I would like to post that if anyone installs a FULL custom firmware (including custom IPL) on their PSP-3000 running ChickHEN, they will brick their PSP. There is currently no unbricker for the PSP-3000, so if one bricks their PSP, there is absolutly no solution to it. If someone is curious why custom firmware does not work on the PSP-3000, please read some useful information on the PSP-3000's motherboard.

To prevent a brick happening, here are homebrew to stay away from:
  • Hellcat's Recovery Flasher (all releases)
  • M33 updaters (The FULL M33 firmwares only support PSP motherboards TA-079 through TA-088 V2.)
  • GEN installers (Those that flash custom IPL are dangerous; 5.03 GEN-A is very safe though.)
  • other custom firmware installers (Ones that are old,unstable,unsupported or those that install an IPL different than one of s0nY's 5.03)
  • theme flashers / flash0 themes; Examples: Project0, MaxFlasher series, etc.
  • flash spacing tools that free up memory in flash0
  • btcnf editors; Examples: BTCNF Edit v3, PluginToFlash (all releases) [They can only brick it when btcnfs are edited for 5.03 GEN-A or CFW Enabler]

It is advised not to mess with / tinker with / install to the flash0. So please do not attempt to install a [full] custom firmware on the PSP-3000 or do things with the flash0 unless you want a brick. Keep in mind that currently all bricks on the PSP-3000 are unrecoverable and permament and nothing can be done about them.

If you fail to head this advice, this could happen to your PSP:
attachment.php

Also, for more detailed information on this, please read Bubbletune's guide to [HEN] Careful Usage on your precious PSP [MforMature].

What happen to my PSP, my PSP can switch on.. the on switch okay...but only can see the green light only... i can't see the screen that load the PSP , the screen is black what happen??I cannot open the PSP, but the green light is okay.. the switch thing that on the PSP okay...but it on black screen.when i Hold R nothing happen, but i can still charge the PSP... my friend said the flash inside is gone.... can i use pandora battery and magic stick to fix it?? please help

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

What happen to my PSP, my PSP can switch on.. the on switch okay...but only can see the green light only... i can't see the screen that load the PSP , the screen is black what happen??I cannot open the PSP, but the green light is okay.. the switch thing that on the PSP okay...but it on black screen.when i Hold R nothing happen, but i can still charge the PSP... my friend said the flash inside is gone.... can i use pandora battery and magic stick to fix it?? please help

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------