1. Welcome to the eXophase.com forums!

It looks like you're enjoying our site but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now?

By joining, you will have access to post topics, browse threads ad-free, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

PC Team Fortress is now free to play

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2' started by Pokemanz master, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Pokemanz master

Pokemanz master Lowering your IQ

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/24/breaking-team-fortress-2-is-now-free-to-play-forever/

"Industry trade website Develop-Online has revealed in an interview with Valve’s Robin Walker that Team Fortress 2 is now permanently free to play, and will solely be supported by in-game item purchases.

TF2′s switch to F2P was rumored and expected, but perhaps not this soon. Walker says that Valve had been exploring the idea since September 2010. “We’ve been toying with the idea of making Team Fortress free-to-play ever since the Mann-conomy update,” Walker said. “The data we got back from that update leads us to believe that TF2 would be more successful as a completely free product.” Read the rest of the interview with Walker at Develop-Online.

Prior to today, Team Fortress 2 was in the middle of a “free week.” The game’s
  2. Adiuvo

Adiuvo Staff Member Staff Member

Ew is pretty much my only comment. I stopped playing it awhile back but now I really have no inkling to ever pick it up again.
  3. UserUnknown

UserUnknown eXo's Resident Brony

I still play it on ocassion. I do love the Medic video, though.
  4. x3sphere

x3sphere Administrator Staff Member

Last played:
    Mercenary Kings on PS4
    Can't see any downside to this personally. I bet Valve will end up making more money through micro-transactions.
  5. LocutusEstBorg

LocutusEstBorg Contributor

Last played:
    Jetpack Joyride on Xbox 360
    Why did you stop? I was thinking of starting to play this seriously but the whole thing seemed chaotic and not very team based.
  6. Adiuvo

Adiuvo Staff Member Staff Member

It became too clustered and annoying. Art style took a hit, people stopped taking the game seriously in servers where I got a good ping - stuff like that. The game is chaotic, but it's still very team based if that's your thing. For me 'team based' always seemed like a brilliant concept but when you actually played the game there were tons of people that sucked, preventing you from doing anything. Even though I mainly played Spy, the 'solo' class, I still needed to rely on my team to make any permanent push and progress. It just stopped being fun.

I have over 700 hours in it though. It's certainly the best F2P game, even with all of it's issues.
  7. PR0fessor Burnt

PR0fessor Burnt Active Member

Last played:
    Dark Souls 2 on Xbox 360
  8. Joey

Joey New Member

9. El Diablo

El Diablo Member

That's hilarious.
  10. El Xando

El Xando "Dam whippersnapper"

Last played:
    Call of Duty Black Ops on PS3
    I just bought the 9 49p starter packs for each class :p
  11. january39

january39 eXo Staff Staff Member

Last played:
    Shadow of the Colossus on PS3
  12. Serideth

Serideth Active Member

Last played:
    DARK SOULS on Xbox 360
    Ah great news, must get my brother to pick this up now it's free. I haven't played it in ages myself though.
  13. PR0fessor Burnt

PR0fessor Burnt Active Member

Last played:
    Dark Souls 2 on Xbox 360
  14. MenaceInc

MenaceInc Staff Member Staff Member

Last played:
    DARK SOULS on Xbox 360
    Possibly only temporary. Hell, even Black Ops and Modern Warfare 2 dethroned CS: Source for a while when they released.
  15. Bran

Bran Yell

Last played:
    Diablo III on PS3
    I now have a reason to care about games that come with hats!