1. Welcome to the eXophase.com forums!

It looks like you're enjoying our site but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now?

By joining, you will have access to post topics, browse threads ad-free, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

The Ubuntu equivalent of the Windows "Run" function?

Discussion in 'Linux (All Distros)' started by androidkaita, Sep 26, 2011.

1. androidkaita

androidkaita Drop The Gun

I need to access my media server, and in windows all I have to do is go to run, then type in the iP address (Run->\\192.xxx.x.xx\public) and it opens my server in a new exporer window.

How do I do this in Ubuntu?

Thanks!
  2. ultimakillz

ultimakillz Teh Fett Mawn

Last played:
    WATCH_DOGS on PS3
    have you tried accessing it through a web browser?
  3. MenaceInc

MenaceInc Staff Member Staff Member

Last played:
    DARK SOULS on Xbox 360
    Fairly sure you can type in the address bar of the file explorer. Haven't used any GNU/Linux distros in quite a while though.
  4. slicer4ever

slicer4ever Coding random shit

Last played:
    DARK SOULS on Xbox 360
    iirc, to mount a network file system in linux/ubuntu from terminal: mnt \\server\\folder, then it should be in the directory path of: /mnt/folder

but it's been about a year since i messed with networking under linux, so i can't guarantee the info is 100%

just in case menace's solution doesn't work, but ubuntu's file explorer is probably smart enough to recognize network path's in the address bar.
  5. androidkaita

androidkaita Drop The Gun

Thanks guys, I got it now!

All I had to do was go to the "Home" folder then select network, and my fileserver was actually already listed there somehow!