• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

UK riots

jas0nuk

tl dr thread, I hope nobody in the thread has blamed it on cuts, since public spending has gone up this year.

A lot of thoughts are flying around my head so this post will probably appear quite haphazard. Anyway...

These people are not in poverty. Wanting boxfresh trainers, mobile phones, hoodies and 42" LCD TVs is not the sign of someone in poverty - they are consumers who want everything for free. The riots and lootings were pure opportunistic criminality - they saw people getting away with it on the initial Saturday night in Tottenham because the police treated it as a public order incident rather than as a criminal incident, and they wanted a piece of the action, I wasn't surprised at all by how quickly it spread. When the police tactics were changed (this required elected politicians and is a case for elected commissioners, if someone directly accountable were in charge of the Met, David Cameron/Theresa May would not have had to do it), the results were more effective. There is also the problem that low-rank frontline police officers are scared of using force because of the media atmosphere surrounding police brutality etc, and they feel that their superiors and the government will not protect them in the event of someone getting injured.

The riots were caused by an element of our society that
- has no respect for authority
- has no respect for private property and think they are entitled to whatever they want
- does not wish to engage in normal society no matter how much people try with outreach groups, social workers, youth clubs etc
- have parent(s) who do not care where they are
- in some cases, have been brought up to consider the government and the police working against them and racist without much evidence of this (it was true 30 years ago, not any more)

There are some notable exceptions, e.g. in one case there was a guy who works as a mentor at a primary school. Great example he's setting there.

I believe the main cause of all of this is that the social contract in this country is balanced too far in favour of the recipient. There are few responsibilities to balance the rights. Their parents don't care what they get up to outside the house, in some cases they prefer them to be out of the house because they cannot control them inside. In school kids can create hell but the first sign of a teacher considering using physical discipline and you hear "YOU CAN'T TOUCH ME" immediately. If people misbehave in/destroy social housing they may be thrown out but the government has to house them somewhere else. People remain jobless on benefits for years and years refusing to take jobs - so they are taken by people who come in from the EU who are far more grateful for the opportunity, and quite right too. They commit petty crimes to fund drug habits and get slaps on the wrist, a few weeks in prison here and there. They also see a bad example being set by establishment figures who seemingly get away with murder, such as MPs expenses and "bankers still getting bonuses" (even though the banks got rid of a lot of staff, so those who remain are of a high quality and deserve a good pay, and the mythical banker creature does not exist in the way the media portray it) after everything that has happened. In summary they think they have a RIGHT to welfare, to free healthcare and housing and a RIGHT not to work and because "rich people misbehave" they can too. Wrong.

For too long there have been people hand wringing and making excuses for these elements of society and it has to stop. Throwing good money after bad is not going to make any difference. Using force IS the correct way to stop the initial problem, and harsh jail sentences and withdrawal of benefits is the right way to punish it. If we want to stop it happening again we need a better education system that teaches right from wrong, we need to start making parents more responsible for kids, and we need to accept that letting generation after generation live on welfare is not the way to deal with joblessness.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I was never disciplined with wooden spoons, yes disciplined, as a child and I have a perfectly engrained sense of right and wrong. My parents never had to resort to such ridiculous measures.

FTFY. Abuse would be if it was unfair. If the child has misbehaved and the punishment is proportionate then it should be acceptable as discipline.

jas0nuk

Breaking wooden spoons over your hands seems a little extreme, couldn't they have just smacked you? I used to get lightly slapped as a kid when it was still legal, didn't do me any harm.

Maybe they should make it legal again. The banning of it was meant to prevent child abuse: what has actually happened is that child abuse has continued - why would child abusers obey the law? - and normal well-meaning parents have one less way to effectively discipline their kids.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
What the hell were you doing to warrant wooden spoons being broken over your hands?

Taking coal money round to the shop and spending it on many, many, MANY kinder eggs. Would have been when I was about 5 or so and the total amount was near

january39

eXo Staff
Taking coal money round to the shop and spending it on many, many, MANY kinder eggs. Would have been when I was about 5 or so and the total amount was near

Moose

Meta Moose
The reason that these people lack respect for the police in their communities is not, I can guarantee, the fact that they were not lightly hit when they were children. What kind of logic is that? Hit your children when they are younger and create a timid, reluctant society that fears the state.

This population has, for a long time, been forced into becoming a disenfranchised majority. If you lived in a community where the local police appear to be working against and not for you then of course it is inevitable that your peers and yourself will turn on the police service.

To say that there are no penalties for bad or anti-social behaviour is a grave ignorance. The disciplinary procedures currently in place, such as the ASBO (a joke) and community service, do not need to be succeeded by harsher punishment. They are effective if used correctly. However, they are more than often chucked around for such trivial crimes that they are percieved to be almost useless.

'Difficult circumstances' do not intrinsically produce motivation, good will, or morality. If you are poor, both financially and educationally, then how can we expect these people to excell in their lives? We can't.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I did not say that disadvantaged circumstances produce motivation or morality, I believe that was January39 misinterpreting my point.
My point was that there is a lack of discipline overall.
Be that softer punishments such as grounding or just yelling at a kid or harsher punishments such as corporal punishment.

However, it's difficult to consider non-corporeal punishments effective when you have numerous comments and a marketing campaign from the early 90s mocking the use of grounding as a punishment.

jas0nuk

Moose, the lack of discipline and respect is the key factor here. Kids need to respect authority whether it's teachers, parents, or police. All of it is tied together in respect for the rest of society. ASBOs and community service are not effective, in fact they're so weak and ineffective that these kids laugh at the justice system.

These people are not disenfranchised. They have the same opportunities as the rest of us. Free state education, free healthcare, social housing if you need it, benefits if you are looking for work, university education which you pay for afterwards, a safe and secure country.

No excuses.

Good to see councils are taking some real action against these people: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...larkes-family-evicted-Wandsworth-Council.html

Moose

Meta Moose
You do not need to hit a child in order to persuade them to respect auhority. If you raise a child with satisfactory morals, in a healthy society, then they will respect what they believe deserves their respect. These children and teenagers are raised on the grounds that what they have isn't as good as what other, more priveleged kids, have.

The kids that live in these London suburbs have the same opportunity as those that are living in mansions and are sent to Eton? I don't think so. Their education pales in comparison to the kind that the minority of wealthy family's are able to provide for their children. I wouldn't put too much faith in our government to preserve such amenities as university fee subsidisation and benefits for the unemployed.

There are no excuses, I agree. Why has our country got into this state? Like I said, we have a society that feeds off greed and materialism. The poor stay poor and the rich get richer. To who's benefit? Surely not those that are at the bottom of the chain.

Call me pretentious but I'm inclined not to read that article given that it is in the Daily Mail.

EDIT: I skimmed through the first paragraph and I can honestly say that evicting someone from their home when they will probably struggle to find another is disgusting. What that boy did was wrong, I don't pretend to ignore that fact. However, to punish his family in such a way that could mean they become homeless ("His mother Maite de la Calva, left, says she and daughter Revecca will have nowhere to go if thrown out of their Battersea council flat") is entirely unjust.

What happens to all the family's that are evicted? Do we move them someplace else to just forget about them again?

jas0nuk

"There are no excuses", yet you're excusing them without realising it. Everything you're saying is an insult to people who come from poor or average backgrounds and make a success of themselves. Like you said, a MINORITY of kids get enhanced opportunities that you mentioned like private school etc. The kids who were looting had the same opportunities as I did, for example, and countless millions of others who don't have wealthy parents.

As for your last remarks, I honestly couldn't care less at this point, we cannot give people social housing unconditionally no matter what they do, especially when the state is paying what must be an enormous rent when it's worth

MenaceInc

Staff Member
‘As a mother, I’m not responsible for my son’s actions and they are penalising me for his actions.’

What utter crock. Shameful attitude to think that a parent isn't responsible for their children.

As for being thrown out, it's outlined exactly what happens in their tenacy agreement. A contract that the mother signed and agreed to the terms of.

jas0nuk

Oh, another benefit to kicking them out, *if* they rehouse them somewhere else, is that it assists in breaking up gangs.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Oh, another benefit to kicking them out, *if* they rehouse them somewhere else, is that it assists in breaking up gangs.

Oh but Daniel wouldn't have been in a gang, he was a lovely, friendly boy who went to church and helped out in the local community. According to his mother.

Davee

lolhax
What utter crock. Shameful attitude to think that a parent isn't responsible for their children.

As for being thrown out, it's outlined exactly what happens in their tenacy agreement. A contract that the mother signed and agreed to the terms of.

What if the parent has multiple children? A parent may have brought up her other two children to have good morality, and the other child may have gone off the rails. Does that make her a bad parent and deserve all the blame? No.

These social cases really need to to be taken in a 1 by 1 scenario, you cannot label everyone under the same.

As for losing their homes, think about the 2 good children and the parent. Do they deserve to be punished and faced homelessness because of that bad child's actions?

MenaceInc

Staff Member
What if the parent has multiple children? A parent may have brought up her other two children to have good morality, and the other child may have gone off the rails. Does that make her a bad parent and deserve all the blame? No.

These social cases really need to to be taken in a 1 by 1 scenario, you cannot label everyone under the same.

As for losing their homes, think about the 2 good children and the parent. Do they deserve to be punished and faced homelessness because of that bad child's actions?

People's achievements do not excuse their failures.
It is up to the parents to discipline and teach their spawn right from wrong.
If they have no control over their kids then the local community should NOT have to deal with the problem.
Tenancy agreements may differ from place to place but the last tenancy agreement I had to sign had pretty similar conditions where if you caused trouble then you had to find somewhere else to stay.
As for the family, if the council decides to enforce their contract conditions then the family can find privately rented accommodation.

As for any questions as to if it's fair, is it fair that a family whose members are causing trouble for neighbours get a house over a family who doesn't have any such issues? There's a hell of a lot of unfair things in the world and not everything can be all rosy.

eldiablov

Contributor

Total bullshit I'm afraid. This child will just go join another gang, there's plenty to choose from in London.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Single parent family living off benefits, smallest sister has mental disabilities, haven't seen my father since I was 7 since he's a paedophile and went through a hell of a lot of bullying in grammar school due to condition/quality of my uniform clothes and personal taste in music. Practically lived on my own when I was 15/16 due to mother staying with her boyfriend at the time. This is probably the most brutally honest I've been on the internet in regards to family circumstances but I think I need to tell this just to contrast it with me working hard like a motherfucker to support myself and my household then even going back to study later on and working dam hard to get into a good university.

Some of the dickheads that were out looting would have had much better chances in life than I and yet they feel that they're entitled to go out, rob local businesses and generally fuck shit up? Fuck that. If they felt they were so oppressed then they would have attacked the Government buildings, not local businesses. They wouldn't have put hundreds of people out of work by torching family owned shops to the ground.

Just because it didn't affect you doesn't mean it wouldn't affect another.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Interesting poll data from YouGov and The Sun for 2534 adults in relation to the riots.

Main cause of riots:
  • 42% believe it was criminal behaviour
  • 26% believe it was gang culture
  • 8% believe it was government cuts
  • 5% believe it was unemployment
  • 5% believe it was racial tensions
  • 3% believe it was poor policing
  • 10% said either don't know or other

There's also not a lot of confidence in the politicians.

Apparently 33% wanted live ammunition to be used for the rioters and 77% wanted the army to be called in. Also noticed a large increase in poll responders saying that they intended to vote for Labour compared to 2010.