• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Windows 7 Discussion [Screenshots Enclosed]

UserUnknown

eXo's Resident Brony
Huh.. Having Vista before I had to reinstall it, had the little 'peak' windows.

I'm debating on installing 7, but no external hard drive. :argh:

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
I wonder when we will get the email to dl it. any bets?

Hellcat

Contributor
I don't understand. If you have a genuine key why would you need to crack the activation?
Because i *HATE* these forced activation things, esp. when they are limited.
After 5 or 10 times you need to activate by phone :argh:

And since I reinstall my comps and a VERY regular basis.... :argh:

I could life with it if you could activate as often as you like (as long as it's same comp), but you can't, hence I need a craxx for it :w00t:

---------- Post added at 08:34 AM EST ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 AM EST ----------

Lazy dblpost edit:

How about the license, with Vista you have been allowed to run one additional copy in a VM (on same comp tho, I think) with the "big" editions, same on 7?

twelve

I'm not dead
What do you mean "one additional copy"? I've got my copy of Vista Home Premium installed on 3 different PC's with the same key and never had any problems with any of them.

Also Royal Mail suck. I still haven't got my copy of Windows 7 which was sent out on Monday. I swear they're on strike more than they work these days.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Also Royal Mail suck. I still haven't got my copy of Windows 7 which was sent out on Monday. I swear they're on strike more than they work these days.

Weird. I buy stuff on amazon and Royal Mail usually takes me 2 or in the max 3 days to get here to Portugal.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Because i *HATE* these forced activation things, esp. when they are limited.
After 5 or 10 times you need to activate by phone :argh:

And since I reinstall my comps and a VERY regular basis.... :argh:

I could life with it if you could activate as often as you like (as long as it's same comp), but you can't, hence I need a craxx for it :w00t:

---------- Post added at 08:34 AM EST ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 AM EST ----------

Lazy dblpost edit:

How about the license, with Vista you have been allowed to run one additional copy in a VM (on same comp tho, I think) with the "big" editions, same on 7?

afaik, you cannot activate a serial when it's already been activated. So while you could install Win 7 on two different locations using the same serial, you'd only be able to activate one of them.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Buy something right now, I guarantee you won't see it for weeks.

o_O I was thinking of getting Dragon Ball to play with my friends next week.. Thanks for the tip, I'm getting Wipeout HD.

Seth

MD Party Room
What do you mean "one additional copy"? I've got my copy of Vista Home Premium installed on 3 different PC's with the same key and never had any problems with any of them.

Usps kinda sucks over here 2

twelve

I'm not dead
afaik, you cannot activate a serial when it's already been activated. So while you could install Win 7 on two different locations using the same serial, you'd only be able to activate one of them.
I have Vista installed on 3 different PCs using the same serial. All 3 are activated, I've had them on running updates at the same time before and never had any issues.

Microsoft may say that it can only be used on one PC but they won't do anything to a home user abusing it. If a company bought one license key and used it on a whole fleet of computers then they'd come down on them but home users that actually buy a license are the least of their concerns.

Colm

OT: My phone just arrived in London today, during what's meant to be the strike. It was sent yesterday. Next day delivery being unaffected by the strike? :)

twelve

I'm not dead
London sorting office is pretty much the centre of the strike. If you're unlucky it will be sat in that sorting office until the strike is over. If you're lucky the few workers that aren't on strike will be treating next day packages with the high priority they should receive.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
London sorting office is pretty much the centre of the strike. If you're unlucky it will be sat in that sorting office until the strike is over. If you're lucky the few workers that aren't on strike will be treating next day packages with the high priority they should receive.

They need to just be fired.

Oh wait...

twelve

I'm not dead
RTM is release to manufucturers. Retail is release to everyone else.

It makes no difference which one you have, they have this thing called Windows Update which keeps either version the same as the other.

twelve

I'm not dead
I actually got my Windows 7 install disc earlier. Wasn't royal mail that let me down, it was Play.com lying about when they dispatched it (as usual).

Had a couple of nice surprises with it.

1. Came with both 32 and 64 bit DVDs
2. Upgrading from Vista was incredibly simple. Load the disc and click upgrade. It kept all programs, settings and files as they were.

I'm just going through tweaking it remotely from work now.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Ive been running it for months now and im quite pleased. Aside from a few compatibility issues which is normal with a new OS as well as minor bugs and such im still happy with it so far

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Got my copy from NewEgg on Thursday and my Dad installed in on his computer last night (he ended up paying for my copy since I got the free Win7 Ultimate). I noticed some sites reporting that you need to edit the registry (think it was registry) to do a clean install AND activate with the upgrade discs but we were able to use the upgrade discs to do a clean install and while in windows put the upgrade key in and it activated properly.

I've been running Windows 7 RTM on my desktop since it was first released and have been extremely happy with it, still running build 7077 on this laptop though.