• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Multi 10-year life cycle

Seth

MD Party Room
So near ever Console todays is having a 10-year life cycle. Psp,360,ps3. I feel that way to long for a Console upgrade. 2015-2016 seems like such a long wait for a new hardware. I always been a fan of the past 5 year system. Sure your getting your money worth, but I dont feel it worth it. So how you guys feel about this.

Cryox

Bro.
So near ever Console todays is having a 10-year life cycle. Psp,360,ps3. I feel that way to long for a Console upgrade. 2015-2016 seems like such a long wait for a new hardware. I always been a fan of the past 5 year system. Sure your getting your money worth, but I dont feel it worth it. So how you guys feel about this.

I think 10 years is pushing it, plus, waiting until 2015-2016 is not entirely true. (example) the ps3 came about before the ps2's 10 years was up. So chances are that another console will be release (for sony at least) while the ps3 is still out.

However i feel that 4-6 years is better for the consoles than 10 years.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Well the ten years are really a lie... The PS2 is ten years old and still going... But the reason why it seems for you guys that ten years is too much, is because of the constant graphical prowesses that engines nowadays can have in short spans of time, due to the technology being constantly getting better...

So ten years isn't unrealistic, it's just an estimate... BEcause you can never say when something is truly obsolete

Adiuvo

10 years is a good amount for support. Sure, realistically, another console will be out after 8, but it's the support that matters. Consoles are so expensive nowadays that they should last a long time.

Joey

Well the ten years are really a lie... The PS2 is ten years old and still going... But the reason why it seems for you guys that ten years is too much, is because of the constant graphical prowesses that engines nowadays can have in short spans of time, due to the technology being constantly getting better...

So ten years isn't unrealistic, it's just an estimate... BEcause you can never say when something is truly obsolete

The PS2 is 8 years old.

My SNES is technically on a 17 year life cycle. It's still relevant to my life.

Cryox

Bro.

And along side what you said somewhat, you would think the consoles could be updated faster [but aren't] seeing how that most computers get outdated rather quickly because the parts are always getting smaller, faster, more reliable etc.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
The PS2 is 8 years old.

My SNES is technically on a 17 year life cycle. It's still relevant to my life.

Actually it's nine years old... lol I meant it's nearing the 10 year mark but that came out badly

Scorned

10 years is a good amount for support. Sure, realistically, another console will be out after 8, but it's the support that matters. Consoles are so expensive nowadays that they should last a long time.

This. I'd way rather have it maintain a 10 year life span.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
Personally I don't mind the 10year life.
Its really never around 10years, its always 5-7years life cycle.
They're really saying expect a new console close to 10years or so.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
This doesn't mean that that wont release a new system before 10 years, it just means they won't cut off support until the 10 years are up.

I don't think that's too long cause most consoles (with the exception of the Dreamcast) suck for at least a year after it's release. on the every five year plan you were really only getting 4 years of decent gaming out of them.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Anyone else sense a new challenger ready to enter the fight? I dont know why but i feel like some other company is going to emerge with a new system. I cant say what company or why but i feel something is coming

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
anyone else sense a new challenger ready to enter the fight? I dont know why but i feel like some other company is going to emerge with a new system. I cant say what company or why but i feel something is coming

sega? :p

Joey

Anyone else sense a new challenger ready to enter the fight? I dont know why but i feel like some other company is going to emerge with a new system. I cant say what company or why but i feel something is coming

I'd see Sony dropping out because of a lack of funds, before anybody else jumps in.

The only company possible is Apple, and they just don't seem interested in gaming. And I'm not interested in an Apple console.

Seth

MD Party Room
I think EA might be that company, just think if all of EA games where only on there system I feel they can gain massive of sales in the Console world and major loss to all those other systems to strive on madden.

seanlh

I personally think 10 years is a bad estimate all together.
Things get boring, things break, people grow..

I only used my PS2 for about 5 years, so 4-6 years for the life-cycle would be ideal for me. I'll probably use my PSP 3000 forever though, since it's a handheld. :p

Sell it in 70 years for like.. 1 million bucks. xD

-chw42-

Like a Boss
It really should be a 5 year life cycle. Technology changes much faster nowadays.

Bill

I'd see Sony dropping out because of a lack of funds, before anybody else jumps in.

Lack of funds? As in they don't have the money to stay in the console race?
That made me giggle :)

Joey

Lack of funds? As in they don't have the money to stay in the console race?
That made me giggle :)

Sony is losing money in every division. After a while, they're going to have start making cuts, and selling PS3's at a $100 per console loss seems like a good place to start, no?

They may not be broke, but they're not making money. Maybe "lack of funds" was a bad way to put it... Maybe I should have said "lack of profit".