• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Multi 10-year life cycle

Adiuvo

Most companies are facing a lack of profit nowadays. I just can't see Sony dropping out, especially with how they did with the PS2. One bad year isn't going to completely erase everything.

Joey

Most companies are facing a lack of profit nowadays. I just can't see Sony dropping out, especially with how they did with the PS2. One bad year isn't going to completely erase everything.

It's been 3 bad years, and we're heading into the worst economy since the great depression. They're already selling their console at a loss, and they'll have to lower the price even further if they want people to start buying.

Once again, I doubt they will, but if any of the companies does drop out, it will be Sony. Their console is the most expensive, and least sucessful, and their company as a whole is losing money, while Microsoft is making money on at least gaming, and Nintendo... Well, those guys are printing money by the boat load.

Bill

Lack of profit is most definitely a better word. And I'm not sure about any kind of profit Sony is making on the SDK and mastering fees.... I know Microsoft is making money there and losing on consoles as well, which is the way it was last generation for all three companies. But I suppose Microsoft doesn't need to make money anyway, since even if they were to lose millions a year it's just a little grain of sand in the desert, lawls.

Joey

Lack of profit is most definitely a better word. And I'm not sure about any kind of profit Sony is making on the SDK and mastering fees.... I know Microsoft is making money there and losing on consoles as well, which is the way it was last generation for all three companies. But I suppose Microsoft doesn't need to make money anyway, since even if they were to lose millions a year it's just a little grain of sand in the desert, lawls.

I'm pretty sure Micrsoft started making a profit on consoles sometime last year... I'm not 100% sure on that though.

Anyway, I just want to reiterate, I really don't think Sony will drop out. I just think they're the most likely candidate.

It really wouldn't make sense for them to throw out the Playstation brand after one unsuccessful product. At some point, they may no have a choice, but that would probably only happen if the next console is also a failure.