• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 1080p

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
They say you need HDMI to reach it, but on my LG 1080p set, it sets to 1080p fine (in game as well)with component cables even though people say Component maxes at 1080i.

Am I missing something? :eek:

MenaceInc

Staff Member
You're missing 30fields a second apparently.
It may have just been marketing blarg though just to try and upsell HDMI...not too sure. Maybe you are actually only getting 1080i though as well.

Joey

You need HDMI for Blu-Ray. It's a DRM issue. You can watch from your cable box if it supports 1080p (or even an upscaling DVD player), but Blu-Ray has an HDCP signal that only allows 1080p with legal blu-rays.

I don't know if the Xbox 360 has HDCP, but the PS3 does. It's simply a security measure. It keeps you from playing pirated material at 1080p.

Access_Denied

You need HDMI for Blu-Ray. It's a DRM issue. You can watch from your cable box if it supports 1080p (or even an upscaling DVD player), but Blu-Ray has an HDCP signal that only allows 1080p with legal blu-rays.

I don't know if the Xbox 360 has HDCP, but the PS3 does. It's simply a security measure. It keeps you from playing pirated material at 1080p.

360 has no HDCP. Also, the PS3 only has HDCP via HDMI so you can't steal the digital information. HDCP can't be used on analog connections, so playing Blu-Rays with component cables allows the movies to be copied through the analog hole, but there is quality loss.

Also, you can do 1080p on component, but it's only a limited number of TVs that can do it.

LocutusEstBorg

For games it makes no difference as consoles can hardly run anything at 1080p. They hardly run stuff at even 720p. You'll probably have better quality if you run at 720p and let the TV upscale instead of letting the game do cheap upscaling.