• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

120Hz monitors rock. 60Hz sucks.

LocutusEstBorg

Just tried out an ASUS VG236H 120Hz monitor and it's so much better than 60Hz. FPS games finally feel like the good old 85Hz CRTs. I always felt LCDs were choppy comared to CRTs but never realized it was because of the refresh rate. Now on every 60Hz monitor I look at I can literally see objects jumping between each frame. And that's just after using a 120Hz monitor for a couple of hours.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3842/asus-vg236h-review-our-first-look-at-120hz
Do what the first line of that review says. Even if you don't care about 3D, just buy the monitor. I can't imagine what a crappy unusable gimmick the 24Hz 3D on HDTV is.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
Eh, I've always preferred 60hz myself. I actually like less than 60hz because 60FPS feels "Too Smooth" like a home video recorder. Just like the Interporlating 120hz tvs do to signals is horrible.
Even when I used a CRT up until a year ago I lamented using high refresh rates.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I don't think that I'll be getting a 120Hz monitor for a while. Many games out there are optimised/capped at 60fps and while a large number do go further than 60 (dependant on hardware), I personally think it's difficult to discern the difference after 60fps.

Another aspect is performance related. With the higher refresh rate, it would be more necessary to have higher end hardware that can push 120fps instead of 60fps which would definitely carry a higher premium as well. If the hardware ends up only managing between 60 and 120, it'll result in screen tearing as well.

The higher cost as well as the higher performance needed to get an optimal experience are not justified in my opinion. Definitely when the jump would not be as noticeable as from 30fps to 60fps.

LocutusEstBorg

I personally think it's difficult to discern the difference after 60fps.
That's completely false. In fact the difference between 60 and 120 feels much greater. It's like comparing the fluidity of the iPhone 4's UI with some crappy Nokia S60 device.

Another aspect is performance related. With the higher refresh rate, it would be more necessary to have higher end hardware that can push 120fps instead of 60fps which would definitely carry a higher premium as well. If the hardware ends up only managing between 60 and 120, it'll result in screen tearing as well.
It's not just for games. Simply using it on the desktop makes a massive difference. As for tearing: With vSync off, there is very little tearing compared to 60Hz. It looks more like a slight anomaly in the game rather than the screen sliding in half.

With vSync on, there is very little mouse lag at 120Hz compared to the unplayable mouse lag at 60Hz. I was able to play BFBC2 multiplayer in 3D mode without feeling handicapped by the mouse lag. vSync is forced on in 3D mode. It's so minimal, that you could leave vSync on even in 2D mode and have no tearing at all.

El Diablo

There is definitely a noticeable difference between 30 and 60 fps but I don't think there is a difference with anything above it. I've use a 120hz tv before and I could not stand it. Personally I don't think there's any reason to spend extra money for 120hz, especially since being able to play newer games at 120+ fps is unlikely unless you have 500 dollar video cards in SLI/crossfire or something.

LocutusEstBorg

unless you're playing games on it? :|
Whatever result you're seeing is after the TV applies it's gimmicky algorithm. Even with games, the maximum input refresh rate is 60Hz. That is all majority of 120Hz and 240Hz TVs are capable of accepting. For 3D TVs, the maximum input resolution for a 120Hz input is only 1280x720. If it claims to be any higher than that, there's some gimmick behind it.

I have a standing rule that ANYTHING related to home cinema devices, TVs etc. is either a gimmick or an outright lie.

Simply using your desktop at 120Hz makes it worth it. Everything feels so smooth and fluid. Any PC can handle that.