• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

17" Macbook Pro

andyauff

So I've been wanting a Macbook Pro for a while, and I should be buying one tomorrow. My question is, do you guys recommend a glossy or anti-glare screen? I've done some reading about them but I want to see what you guys have to say. As far as my environment, I'm getting it for college so I'll probably be using it all over the place... in classrooms, in my dorm room, and outside too. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

James.

User Not Found
That's hilarious. Link please.
When I say new models, I mean updated.

Its the WWDC today.
Apple announces new MacBook Pro at WWDC 2009

Apple just let loose a new 15-inch MacBook Pro at WWDC 2009, with what appears to be the same built-in, non-removable battery as in the current unibody 17-incher. Phil asserts that the cell will last the average user around five years (1,000 recharges), and could last around seven hours under ideal conditions. There's also an SD card reader rather than an ExpressCard slot (seriously Apple -- replaced? -- why not just add it like every other Wintel laptop available today?). Oh, and the starting tag just dropped to $1,699.

* Starting at $1,699 (down from $1,999 in prior lineups)
* $1,699: 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce 9400M graphics, 250GB HDD, SD card slot, no ExpressCard
* $1,999: 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT graphics, 320GB HDD, SD card slot, no ExpressCard
* $2,299: 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT graphics, 500GB HDD, SD card slot, no ExpressCard
* Shipping today

Not enough for you? There's also a refreshed unibody MacBook, with the same built-in battery promising seven hours of life. This machine also gets the SD card slot, a FireWire 800 port, up to 8GB of RAM, upwards of 500GB of storage and a backlit keyboard as standard. If you're wondering, this little 13-incher is now a part of the MacBook Pro line. You just knew Apple couldn't let its remaining whiteBook outperform its more expensive unibody for long, right? It'll be available (today, we expect) in two configurations.

* $1,199: 2.26GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce 9400M graphics, 160GB HDD, SD card slot, no ExpressCard
* $1,499: 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce 9400M graphics, 250GB HDD, SD card slot, no ExpressCard

Wilder still? A new MacBook Air, which starts at $1,499 (while the SSD unit gets going at $1,799). Yeah, that's $700 less than before.

* $1,499: 1.86GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce 9400M graphics, 120GB HDD
* $1,799: 2.13GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce 9400M graphics, 128GB SSD

andyauff

Wow, I'm sorry. That's a huge coincidence and I thought you were joking. My apologies. Nevertheless, I'm planning on getting the 17 inch and I don't know if I'll wait just for the price cut... although it is $300. Any word on when the price cut will officially go into effect?

James.

User Not Found
Wow, I'm sorry. That's a huge coincidence and I thought you were joking. My apologies. Nevertheless, I'm planning on getting the 17 inch and I don't know if I'll wait just for the price cut... although it is $300. Any word on when the price cut will officially go into effect?
No problem :p

I think it come into effect after the conference (Well whenever the store reopens)

andyauff

Ah, so that's why it's closed. I was getting pissed that it wasn't reopening (I was actually in the process of filling my cart when it closed). If the price is lower when it reopens, I guess the waiting will have been worth it! Haha.

Joey

Right now... Apple always starts shipping new models, and new pricing the same day they announce it.

andyauff

Most excellent. Would you anticipate an updated version of the iPod touch or not? I just want to know whether or not I should wait.

As for the iPhone 3GS, I'm not familiar with the iPhone at all but it looks like a cool upgrade.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Most excellent. Would you anticipate an updated version of the iPod touch or not? I just want to know whether or not I should wait.

As for the iPhone 3GS, I'm not familiar with the iPhone at all but it looks like a cool upgrade.

There will be an updated iPod Touch, or so we hope. If one were to come out this year it would come out in the fall most likely (just look at when the iTouch 2G was announced and keep an eye on that date ;) )

andyauff

There will be an updated iPod Touch, or so we hope. If one were to come out this year it would come out in the fall most likely (just look at when the iTouch 2G was announced and keep an eye on that date ;) )

Okay, cool. I'm not gonna wait until the fall but that's good to know. Thanks.

I am really glad, however, that I didn't order the Macbook Pro yet. The updated 17 inch has a 500 GB HDD instead of the older 320 GB, and also a faster processor. I am so excited. Ordering it tomorrow morning. Once again, sorry for doubting you, James. And thanks for mentioning it.

James.

User Not Found
Okay, cool. I'm not gonna wait until the fall but that's good to know. Thanks.

I am really glad, however, that I didn't order the Macbook Pro yet. The updated 17 inch has a 500 GB HDD instead of the older 320 GB, and also a faster processor. I am so excited. Ordering it tomorrow morning. Once again, sorry for doubting you, James. And thanks for mentioning it.
No problem :)

andyauff

My 17" Macbook Pro came today and I absolutely love it! Right now I'm working on importing all my CDs into iTunes... more than 40 done... so many more....

Congrats, I know what my next laptop will be.