• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

A Lil' Too Hot?

dennis96411

My laptop's CPU idles at 60 *C, that's just not really cool. I mean, if I browse the web, it immediately goes up to 70 and above! WTF! Is there a way to disable some of the cores in i7? I don't think I need it all the time. I mean, 2 cores 4 threads is enough for me. Oh it's a Core i7 720QM at 1.6/2.8 Ghz.

dennis96411

I know that, but is it normal?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Laptops always run hot unless using an ULV processor or some other similar low-powered processor.

You can try going into power management and adjusting the power settings which I think, if I recall, can somewhat underclock the processor, for better batterylife/temps. You can also try going into msconfig and go to the startup tab and change the amount of cores used.

All off the top of my head so I'm not 100% sure on the accuracy of the instructions or if they will work for your specific situation

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Nah, web browsing shouldnt be 70+. Have you opened it up and taken a look at all? Dust or lack of CPU lube?

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
i agree with josey, give it a good clean over, check for dust buildup near the vents, and make sure there's proper ventilation from the heatsink, also, make sure your cpu isn't running at 100% all the time, web browsing shouldn't be very cpu intensive, and thusly not a huge jump in heat, also, make sure the fans sound good as well, and that they sound like their really working when the computer is getting hotter

dennis96411

Alright, changed Power to Balanced instead of High Performance. But I already notice this before, it will always stay above 1600Mhz if I set it to High Performance, but it can slow down to 928 Mhz if I go to Balanced, which might help. Then, this core thing, I walked across it before, but never thought about putting it into 4 instead of 8. Gonna reboot now to see ;)

UPDATE: Awesome it worked, now only running at 2 cores 4 threads ;) Hopefully still fast, but use less power and less heat.

So does disabling half the cores help lower the heat a little?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Not sure if disabling the cores/restricting them will help much with heat, never tried it before.

Just for comparisons, my laptop reached 96 centigrade just a few moments ago under load....a bit much if you ask me but it still keeps on chugging