• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

AC Adapter Pins Dilemma

elite

Oldie moldie
I have just bought a new TOSHIBA Qosmio laptop.

It came with a 3-pin AC adapter. In the F60 Manual, it says that you shouldn't use a 3-pin to 2-pin plug. Is that a valid information? Is there any disadvantages of doing that?

Another side question, this laptop came with pre-underclocked GT 330m. Would there be any considerable temperature increase if the clocks are returned to stock speeds?

Serideth

Saw you ask this on IRC but you left before I could answer, honestly I'm not too sure, if the manual says not to do it then that's a pretty good indication that it's not a great idea. However having said that a friend of mine bought a Toshiba laptop with a 2 prong plug and took it back to Ireland where he had to use a 3 prong adapter and he didn't run into any issues.

Moose

Meta Moose
I would say that it'll probably work fine. They might just be covering their asses just in case the laptop breaks while you are using the laptop as they can use the fact that you used an adaptor to try and disallow you to claim on the warranty.

Adiuvo

What is the 3rd pin used for?

The third pin is generally used for grounding. I haven't heard of a situation where it isn't.

Another side question, this laptop came with pre-underclocked GT 330m. Would there be any considerable temperature increase if the clocks are returned to stock speeds?

Probably.

I'd leave it alone, seeing as it's a laptop. But, if your adamant on it, please stress-test it extensively to make sure the temperatures won't fry your components. Not just the GPU, but all temps as well.

elite

Oldie moldie
What would be the threshold? It got up to 88 degrees Celsius on stability test.

If 3rd pin is used for grounding, then it must be for extra safety precautions and tingling sensations on laptop. Well I am using it right now with the conversion plug, and everything is nice and smooth. :) Thanks for the replies.