• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSP Ad hoc Party for PSP

.A.J.

I was wondering if anyone else downloaded this from Japan's PS Store and what you thought of it.
I got it earlier today and was pleasantly surprised with how well it worked. I tested it with a buddy of mine using Coded Arms and Midnight Club and it worked superbly. The actual Ad hoc Party interface is simple and intuitive considering nearly all text is in a language I don't know: minimal trial and error on our part got it up and running in no time. You can use your PS3 headset to chat in lobby and in game. There is public and private text chat in the lobbies: it does censor profanity and some attempts to avoid the censorship. The program remembers lobbies that you have used in the past and you are also able to create a password protected game within the lobbies.

Does this program interest you? If you've tried it, what do you think about it?

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I've never even heard of it until I read your post, but it makes a lot of sense and is a pretty good idea.

JaX3RiR

I always thought it was only going to work with specified games such as Phantasy Star and Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G. I guess it works with other games as well, which is cool.

Here's NeoGAF's list of compatible games tested so far.

.A.J.

I'm not a member of NeoGAF. If anyone else can post there, feel free to inform them that Midnight Club: Dub Edition also works.

I hope they eventually put this program out in the English language. I think it would be pretty popular outside of Japan.

JaX3RiR, did you try it out?

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
.A.J. said:
I'm not a member of NeoGAF. If anyone else can post there, feel free to inform them that Midnight Club: Dub Edition also works.

I hope they eventually put this program out in the English language. I think it would be pretty popular outside of Japan.

JaX3RiR, did you try it out?
NeoGaf said:
MHP2G
Gundam Battle Universe
Phantasy Star Portable
Macross Ace Frontier
Gundam SEED Federation vs ZAFT
DQ and FF in Itadaki Street
Rengoku 2
Dragonball Z Shin Budokai 2
Ace Combat X
Street Fighter Zero 3
Ridge Racers 2 (there are problems being reported even though it runs)
Power Pro Baseball Portable 3
Tekken DR
Musou Orochi
YugiohTF 2
Dracula X Chronicles
Shoten Beat
KoF (US)
Mahjong Fight Club
Wipeout Pulse
Coded Arms
Capcom Classics Final Fight (US)
FFT

Not Working:

Capcom Classics
fl0w
Lumines 2 (disconnects when reading skin)
Valhalla Knights 2 (Versus works, it disconnects randomly when playing co-op)
Lost Regnum (disconnects when you enter a dungeon)

So far these reports are all from users on 2ch, so unless stated specifically, they're Japanese versions of the games. Report results and I'll update the list!
there ya go

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
Can an pc be used for this? If not im gonna need use xlink kai at some point...

-chw42-

Like a Boss
I hope this gets hacked so that you don't need a PS3...

Slasher

Suck It
So does this essentially allow you to connect through adhoc to your ps3, and allow you to play normally adhoc-only games against people around the world?

.A.J.

Greyone said:
there ya go
Thank you for the effort but I think you misunderstood me. I can read the post. I was requesting someone to inform them that the two games I tested are working properly.
Pokemanz master said:
Can an pc be used for this? If not im gonna need use xlink kai at some point...
I doubt it. As far as I know this is actually a beta for PS3 only. It doesn't seem like a beta, though.
Slasher said:
So does this essentially allow you to connect through adhoc to your ps3, and allow you to play normally adhoc-only games against people around the world?
That is exactly what it does. Once the software is set up and your psp is registered to the PS3 the host creates an adhoc mode game as they normally would. The person/people on the other end(s) simply search for an adhoc game and find it as they normally would. The only difference is that the PS3 is working to bridge the two psp's together and that you can use the PS3('s) for voice chat.

Also, we played with it some more and discovered that each PS3 can have up to four psp's connected at the same time in a room playing the same game. This is cool for whatever games support that many players (up to 16). It's kinda funny because you'd think four people at one PS3 would just play adhoc together, but it is useful for adding the extra people in separate locations. How often do you get 16 people in one location to play a PSP game?

Also, the software only works if your PS3 has built in wifi and is hard wired to your internet connection.