• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

advice?

MenaceInc

Staff Member
planning out a game at the moment....and not looking advice on languages or anything but just the structure of the development...like it would be best to list out the classes and objects on paper first,right?...

first proper programming i'm doing too in C++ but it should be interesting....

ideally it would be in the windows envioment but hopefully could be portable to psp as well :p

and for reference i'm looking at a few bits of source code from other games but i'mlooking to make my own engine for this...

very ambitious i know but i will have a LOT of free time after 4 weeks from now so may as well attempt something that will help me in the future. :)

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Well if you are looking for any help in art or storyline let me know. :biggrin:

haha,theres no real storyline....it's just gunna be a pure bullet hell shmup....should be easy enough to make....as for the artwork,i am fairly competent at art,at least in a paper format as anyone can see in my bebo... bebo here.. :p

also,as an update,i scanned in the gameplan that i have so far....anything i could add to it?

gameplan.jpg

MenaceInc

Staff Member
also,anyone who has any experience in this,can you say if it would be easier or better to implement vector or raster graphics?....or any advice in general?...

Pariah

MenaceInc said:
i scanned in the gameplan that i have so far....anything i could add to it?
As a plan on paper it looks pretty good so far, you could always add a paperclip in the corner just to give it that "documents" sort of look. Maybe some little sketches around the sides to show you were bored and started doodling. Sticking a big postage note across the front is always a good idea if you want to give it the authentic "procrastinator who nees reminding about stuff" look. Other than that, some light smudging across names and figures is common practice.
As for the actual content of the plan... i got nothing :p

MenaceInc

Staff Member
As a plan on paper it looks pretty good so far, you could always add a paperclip in the corner just to give it that "documents" sort of look. Maybe some little sketches around the sides to show you were bored and started doodling. Sticking a big postage note across the front is always a good idea if you want to give it the authentic "procrastinator who nees reminding about stuff" look. Other than that, some light smudging across names and figures is common practice.
As for the actual content of the plan... i got nothing :p

haha,proscrastinater i am :p

although i've moved on and actually started writing up the menu loop for this....although its just gunna be a 32bit operation at the moment til i figure out the graphics and stuff....right now i'm aiming to get a program that you can navigate through and which saves your preferences in a file.....it'd be a start at least and give some well needed practice....last program i made was like 6 months ago... :(