• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Alright, check this out

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Recently I upgraded my bios. Before I did, none of the sensors were working. The mobo is bugged to hell, but it works. Now, the sensors work, but they for whatever reason fucked up the signedness of the temperature.

When it hits -1C, it thinks that it's 255C. When it's -2C, it thinks it's 254C, and so on. My room gets rather cold at night, so it's to be expected. Every time I turn on my computer I get to witness my sensors go batshit insane (Which is quite funny because it's like ALARM ALARM and a fan goes on) when it's actually too cold.

I took a screenie of it in action. I put two and two together, because the sensor that does that is far away from most of the heat (I'm assuming) and it's regularly around 2C-7C (That's where it is now, at least), and when it gets colder it does that, and since I know that 0xFF = 255 AND -1, and 0xFE = 254 and -2, and so on, so it makes sense that it's fucked up signness (AND they made the mistake of using a byte, rather than even a half).

It WAS scaring the shit out of me until I put it all together (And the fact that if it was 255C, it would be fried instantly).

Anyway, screenie here.

When it's cold as tits:
screenshot1pw.png

When it's all warmed up:
screenshotaarondebian.png

ES: No, it's not my fault. It's the bugged mobo/bios' fault.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Your room gets to -2C at night? Do you have your windows open or something? I don't think its safe for computers to operate at such low temps.

We have shitty ass insulation, and no it doesn't get to -2C at night. I haven't had it freezing in here yet, I don't think.

I think the sensors just retarded. It's the only one that's ever that cold (Or, hot, lololol). I think generally the lowest it gets in here is like 10C, but that's not too often. It gets in the teens, Fahrenheit, outside, and since I've never had any beverage freeze, I don't think it freezes in here. However, it is cold. Just not that cold.

explosions

I know that 0xFF = 255 AND -1, and 0xFE = 254 and -2

I don't understand this.

~Aaron~

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

After Google's calculator interfering, I managed to find it.

~Aaron~

Mr. Beefy

Suck It Trebek
I mean it gets pretty chilly in some of the houses in my room but there's no reason your computer should be at (or even near) the below freezing temp.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
I mean it gets pretty chilly in some of the houses in my room but there's no reason your computer should be at (or even near) the below freezing temp.

It's not. When I run it. Though when I get home and turn it on it seems to be. A little TF2 usually stops that.

I read somewhere that CPU heat sensors are only accurate at hot temperatures, seeing as their only use is to prevent overheating. Hence idle temps are highly innacurate, whereas load temps are fine. That would explain those extremely low temps.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
No way you are getting below 20 C on air. Heck, that's even a feat for water cooling. I think the temp sensor is just flaky.