• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Am I the only former forums.qj.net guy, who has hacked their PS3?

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
I was a QJ vet, now with a hacked PS3.
I'm currently using my iPhone3G with linux, but it's very annoying that I have to restart, turn on the device, select android, wait for it to load, every time I want to start my PS3.
I'm just waiting for my free PIC18F4550 to arrive so I can build a custom jailbreak tool to just keep plugged in my PS3.

Deathrow

Not sure where you heard that but it's pure hearsay. Alex left on his own accord, Sony did not pressure him.

Well I guess I read a troll post xD

DAMN YOU TROLLSSS

Then yes, a Dark Alex comeback would be quite epic.

Bran

Yell
I was big on the PSP hacking because I was a poor college student who could not afford games. My PSP and Wii are still hacked and I rarely ever buy anything for them, but that's just out of habit really.

I probably own 25 PS3 games. All 40-60 dollars. PS3 is the only system I spend money on. That an I play online a lot.

Riorio99

Mine would be hacked if a) I didn't have to buy anything, b) I had my PS3 with my right now and c) if I hadn't done the most recent update. Yeah.

Davee

lolhax
This is exactly why I think DAX returning would be the ultimate. He, more than anyone else, knows the insides and outs of the PSP firmware. Surely that knowledge would be invaluable to the PS3 scene. Here's to hoping that an Open SDK would cause developers such as himself to come out of the dark.

I remember way back when, when DAX left the PSP Scene. IIRC he said he was trying to find an exploit for the PS3, this must've been like 3 years ago. After a while he must've disappeared completely, but if he was thinking of hacking the PS3 back then, we can hope he'll return. Mathieulh said (on his twitter) he was in contact with him recently, and that DAX is actually watching the PS3 scene. QJ.Net posted an interview (conducted by PSP-Fanatik.ro) with DAX's right hand man, Alek regarding what he and DAX are doing atm and what they think of the PS3 developments:
http://www.qj.net/qjnet/news/alek-dax-still-watches-the-homebrew-scene.html

PSP internal knowledge is useless for PS3 FYI.

Spiros

Maiki
I was a QJ vet, now with a hacked PS3.
I'm currently using my iPhone3G with linux, but it's very annoying that I have to restart, turn on the device, select android, wait for it to load, every time I want to start my PS3.
I'm just waiting for my free PIC18F4550 to arrive so I can build a custom jailbreak tool to just keep plugged in my PS3.

Howcome you decided to go with the PIC? I'm just curious as I wanna make my own aswell, and it's obviously not a good idea to try and make a teensy board, are there any real downsides to the PIC, I think I remember reading that it will only work like 1 out of 4 times, or that it's got some limitations. Just wondering what you've read about it.

Darkchild

The Doctor
only went on QJ to post the news about my homebrew, that aside, didn't do anything there, though:
-My iPod touch was jailbroken
-My PS3 is hacked
-My PSP is hacked
-My DS has an AceKart
-My Dingoo has Dingux
-Even my mac, has windows 7 but NO Mac OS X

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
Howcome you decided to go with the PIC? I'm just curious as I wanna make my own aswell, and it's obviously not a good idea to try and make a teensy board, are there any real downsides to the PIC, I think I remember reading that it will only work like 1 out of 4 times, or that it's got some limitations. Just wondering what you've read about it.
I'm going the PIC route since its the cheapest solution (less than $5), and I have the tools and experience to pull it off easily. I'm going with the 18Fx550 since that is the most popular (meaning I won't have to port anything myself). And since it's running PSGroove, it's fully capably and update-able as the Teensy board versions.

I haven't read any downsides, besides having to put it together yourself.
Look here for the schematic and files if you do decide to go with it (it's a fun project if you like working with electronics).
http://psgroopic.blogspot.com/p/psgroopic-v1x-diy.html

I'm actually going to do the same thing another guy did and put everything inside the mini PS3 case thing from Gamestop (which is more expensive than what I'm spending on the insides)
ps3case.jpg

Alex

Nope, havent and never will, only thing i will hack it for is the linux port ;D

Darkchild

The Doctor
hacked my PS3 with my dingoo (which did not eat your baby)
and I used to go on QJ, just to post my random homebrews. nothing else

I don't think I will ever hack my PS3. PSN access is simply too important to lose. Plus, I don't want a $999 brick.

Although, running Linux on that would be incredibly awesome. Now that I know my way around, I probably would put Gentoo on it and turn it into a media server.

LocutusEstBorg

I'm not even remotely interested in homebrew on the PS3, especially since it sits next to my PC and I just switch the input source on the monitor if I need to do anything non-PS3. I don't mean to sound discouraging or unappreciative but I don't see anything happening with the PS3 like the PS2, Xbox or PSP.