• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Android on the iPhone

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Read about this and watched the video-proof last week... Pretty damn neat if you ask me...

It'd be REALLY awesome if you could just have Android on the iPhone though xD

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
This just reminds me of how he iPhone isnt a very powerful or capable platform when you take the OS out of it

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Most phones aren't very capable without an OS tbh.

That's not what I meant ;) The iPhone OS caters to the hardware limits of the iPhone. When you take away that OS and put on another mobile phone OS, such as Android, those hardware "limits" show themselves. It's the same with macbooks or other Apple computers. You put Windows on it and you realize that you can get much more power by buying a Windows machine (more bang for your buck).

Cloudy

I must disagree with you there. This is an early alpha with no hardware acceleration and debug information enabled, which slows things down. Not to mention there's a garbage collector running in the background.

Once this is optimised, it'll be able to run as smooth as the iPhone os. In this state it's doing quite well considering.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I must disagree with you there. This is an early alpha with no hardware acceleration and debug information enabled, which slows things down. Not to mention there's a garbage collector running in the background.

Once this is optimised, it'll be able to run as smooth as the iPhone os. In this state it's doing quite well considering.

Sure, it will run better with optimization for the platform, I have no doubt about that. However, regardless of the final performance, it will not be on par with other top-end Android phones (until the 4G comes out most likely). I'm just trying to say that the iPhone product itself hasn't changed much since the launch, the screen resolution still leaves much to be desired.

Whenever you run a non-native OS on any device it really brings out the "flaws" of a device, particularly the performance and screen resolution.

I'm just trying to say: The iPhone, even the 3GS, is becoming a thing of the past in terms of hardware. It used to be ahead of the pack, now with it's yearly iterations it's slowly leaving with the only thing holding it at the front being the software. Hopefully the iPhone 4G will address this issue, but as it stands right now the iPhone is falling behind (seriously, after 3 years it still has the same crappy resolution?)

Seth

MD Party Room
Sure, it will run better with optimization for the platform, I have no doubt about that. However, regardless of the final performance, it will not be on par with other top-end Android phones (until the 4G comes out most likely). I'm just trying to say that the iPhone product itself hasn't changed much since the launch, the screen resolution still leaves much to be desired.

Whenever you run a non-native OS on any device it really brings out the "flaws" of a device, particularly the performance and screen resolution.

I'm just trying to say: The iPhone, even the 3GS, is becoming a thing of the past in terms of hardware. It used to be ahead of the pack, now with it's yearly iterations it's slowly leaving with the only thing holding it at the front being the software. Hopefully the iPhone 4G will address this issue, but as it stands right now the iPhone is falling behind (seriously, after 3 years it still has the same crappy resolution?)

You do realize that the 2g Iphone was out a full year before the g1 launch right? and btw 480-by-320-pixel resolution is not a "crappy resolution" Video and Web still look really sharp on the iphone. On a side note it been pretty much confirmed that iPhone 2010 has 940x640px resolution thus greatly surpassing Nexus One: 800 x 480 pixels...Also A4 CPU( Rumored to be in the Iphone) > snapdragon.

/Just saying

*Still a Android fan :)

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
You do realize that the 2g Iphone was out a full year before the g1 launch right? and btw 480-by-320-pixel resolution is not a "crappy resolution" Video and Web still look really sharp on the iphone. On a side note it been pretty much confirmed that iPhone 2010 has 940x640px resolution thus greatly surpassing Nexus One: 800 x 480 pixels...Also A4 CPU( Rumored to be in the Iphone) > snapdragon.

/Just saying

*Still a Android fan :)

Even the iPhone 3GS though, by modern standards, is lacking. Sure the resolution gets by but it's never met the current standards (Many WinMo devices had VGA or WVGA resolution when the iPhone came out).

The A4 CPU is only slightly better than the Snapdragon processor, which has been out for nearly a year now itself -> so nothing "new" there either. I'm interested to see what resolution they do indeed go with on the 4G, but once again, it's nothing revolutionary or anything that advances the hardware standard