• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Anime/Manga Discussion

chrono6456

I would say my favorite is Full Metal Alchemist, it was just so perfect to me. Next would probably be either cowboy bebop or wolf's rain. Then some others after that that all just start getting jumbled together.

I used to follow naruto and bleach a year or two ago, but they just kept dragging on and on and on and on and on and ugh. Most anime's are less than 50 episodes, thats how they should be, every episode (nearly) is important to the story.

And about how you watch them, I always watch mine english subbed. I can't stand english dub, its done so horribly bad and always censored.

Ive really only seemed to have watched mainstream animes though, I need to start watching some others.

buckeyegamer

Well first thing i'm 100% serious and these really are my favorite anime and manga. So please don't make laugh at me lol.

Top 5 anime:
1. Sailor moon (especially season 5 :tup:)
2. Chobits
3. Tokyo Underground
4. Rosario Vampire
5. First 4 seasons of Bleach (haha)

Top 5 Manga:
1. E's
2. Nabi
3. Kamui
4. Fruits Basket
5. Vampire Knight

First off I know theres not a lot a violent series there but I don't think there done as well as they could be. As for the dub and sub discussion goes I find it completely fine watching anime in dub. I prefer subbed but if its done right its perfectly fine we just don't give it a chance because the original was so well done. Heres a list of anime's I would recommend.

Anime's In no particular order.
ouran high school host club
ranma
air tv
betterman
ah my goddess
lucky star (you people will relate to this girl haha, video games and anime)
death note
code geass
gundam
Fullmetal Alchemist
devil may cry
wedding peach
school days
the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya
to love ru

As for manga I really can't recommend any because I haunt had a chance to read a whole lot of them. The only I really recommend is E's its a must read in my opinion.

Sorry if I made any mistakes in my post i'm kinda sleepy at the moment.
Thats all i have to say for now.

gr34t3st

New Age Retro Hippie
Top 5 anime:
1. Sailor moon (especially season 5 :tup:)
2. Chobits
3. Tokyo Underground
4. Rosario Vampire
5. First 4 seasons of Bleach (haha)

Up to that point Bleach was really good but the current ones on TV with the Bounts and their revenge on soul society is horrible. The English dub is horrid and the story is so much different than the original that it's lost it's luster..

chrono6456 said:
I used to follow naruto and bleach a year or two ago, but they just kept dragging on and on and on and on and on and ugh. Most anime's are less than 50 episodes, thats how they should be, every episode (nearly) is important to the story.

Agree completely. As I said earlier, Bleach would be my absolute favorite anime but the current story sucks to be honest. It's nothing like the original. There will be 4 or 5 filler episodes that contribute nothing to the plot and then one half decent fight scene. I can't watch it without losing my interest every 5 minutes... They should be kept to ~50 episodes.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Up to that point Bleach was really good but the current ones on TV with the Bounts and their revenge on soul society is horrible. The English dub is horrid and the story is so much different than the original that it's lost it's luster..

Agree completely. As I said earlier, Bleach would be my absolute favorite anime but the current story sucks to be honest. It's nothing like the original. There will be 4 or 5 filler episodes that contribute nothing to the plot and then one half decent fight scene. I can't watch it without losing my interest every 5 minutes... They should be kept to ~50 episodes.

Uh Bleach's current story (atleast for the Japanese) is outstanding currently. It's back on track after the Bounto Arc and the Filler Arc and is well worth the watch (not sure if it's worth the wait for those watching the Dubs). Bleach and Naruto are currently, as of the latest episode, back on track with their main stories so I'm always waiting for the next week to come for my fix.

gr34t3st

New Age Retro Hippie
Uh Bleach's current story (atleast for the Japanese) is outstanding currently. It's back on track after the Bounto Arc and the Filler Arc and is well worth the watch (not sure if it's worth the wait for those watching the Dubs). Bleach and Naruto are currently, as of the latest episode, back on track with their main stories so I'm always waiting for the next week to come for my fix.

Let me clear that up:

I'm talking about the current on Adult Swim every Saturday night. That's current for me. I'm sure it's not current in the actual time line as of right now. That's the only time I watch them too.

As for Naruto, the movies were the only interesting pieces to me. I think the fight scenes and plot were pretty good but sometimes it was stupid. I don't like how immature it gets at points. The movies (at least the one I have seen) was done very well and had a lot more action than humor. I think that's the way Naruto should be. Obviously a lot of people disagree with me. I know Naruto is one of if not the most popular anime in America.

Whisper

Logic :(
Let me clear that up:

I'm talking about the current on Adult Swim every Saturday night. That's current for me. I'm sure it's not current in the actual time line as of right now. That's the only time I watch them too.

As for Naruto, the movies were the only interesting pieces to me. I think the fight scenes and plot were pretty good but sometimes it was stupid. I don't like how immature it gets at points. The movies (at least the one I have seen) was done very well and had a lot more action than humor. I think that's the way Naruto should be. Obviously a lot of people disagree with me. I know Naruto is one of if not the most popular anime in America.

Naruto movies have great fight scenes but for the most part rely on the demon fox to much. Not to mention some rather lack luster change of heart "bad" characters have...

gr34t3st

New Age Retro Hippie
Just picked up Burst Angel volumes 1 and 2. I've read the first chapter and it seems pretty decent. Has anyone read them?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Haven't read or seen it, so I might add that to my list of anime I should watch. Here's a comprehensive list of Japanese Anime I've watched (in Japanese, none were watched dubbed except for Rurouni Kenshin)

- Bleach
- Naruto and Naruto Shippuden
- Gundam 00 and Gundam 00 S2
- Code Geass and Code Geass R2
- Gai-Rei Zero
- Tales of the Abyss
- Kurogane no Linebarrels
- Ghost in the Shell
- Ergo Proxy
- Trigun
- Cowboy Bebop
- Samurai Champloo
- Samurai 7
- Samurai X
- Rurouni Kenshin
- Peacemaker Kurogane
- Gundam Seed
- Gundam Seed Destiny
- Gundam Wing
- Black Lagoon
- Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage
- Full Metal Alchemist
- Death Note
- Vampire Knight
- Vampire Knight Guilty
- Amatsuki
- Macross Frontier
- Black Cat
- D-Gray Man
- Darker Than Black
- Inuyasha
- Devil May Cry
- Blood+
- Soul Eater
- Gintama
- Samurai Deeper Kyo

Now that I review my list there's still a lot more for me to watch. I've got a few shows that I've watched a few episodes in but those aren't listed (Witch Hunter Robin, Fist of the North Star, etc.)

chrono6456

Well I just about finished watching Death Note, or at least I say that because I have passed episode 25 and just quickly getting the rest over with, as I have heard the rest is just meh.

Up until then though, the series was brilliant. The second half after
L dies
is still ok, but it just feels like the main plot is over...sad, empty feeling. :sad:

Oh well, what to watch next?

gr34t3st

New Age Retro Hippie
Mugh...

Light Dies..

That really ruined the entire anime for me... :( It could have been so much better. I think they strayed too much away from the original story line.

Whisper

Well I just about finished watching Death Note, or at least I say that because I have passed episode 25 and just quickly getting the rest over with, as I have heard the rest is just meh.

Up until then though, the series was brilliant. The second half after
L dies
is still ok, but it just feels like the main plot is over...sad, empty feeling. :sad:

Oh well, what to watch next?

Like others I'd suggest you go watch Code Geass... it has a pretty decent second season and doesn't die.

gr34t3st

New Age Retro Hippie
Finished Burst Angel Volumes 1 and 2.

9/10. Almost perfect. Actually it might be perfect.
I just don't feel like giving it a perfect rating.

Whisper

Watching hellsing, Gundam 00, and lucky star because of suggestions. Planning to watch Dr. Grey soon, anyone know anything more about it?

chrono6456

I'm watching Darker than Black right now, seemed to a take a while to kick off and I think its just now getting good at episode 6. Will probably watch Code Geass next from what I've heard of it.

EvilSeph

Administrator
I'm still looking for something to replace the void that Death Note left when it completely killed the whole Anime with the last episode... Any suggestions?

Also, what is it with Anime and the need to draw out fights? It gets kind of annoying sometimes.

Whisper

I'm still looking for something to replace the void that Death Note left when it completely killed the whole Anime with the last episode... Any suggestions?

Also, what is it with Anime and the need to draw out fights? It gets kind of annoying sometimes.

Hellsing OVA Dub is helping me bite time till I can find another great anime.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team

Some of the times it is to allow the Manga to advance, but it's really annoying. Code Geass and Gundam 00 (Season 1/2 for both) have filled the Death Note void for me

Whisper

Just started watching Higurashi. I recommend it if you are looking for an unsettling anime. If you can get through the first few episodes things start to pick up and get disturbing.