• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Aniom project

Nevada

I'm not going to beat around the bush, basically i was working on a ps3 theme a whole ago and after several emails back and forth with sony regarding theme customization, and the prospect of font color settings in future themes, i decided to remake what i was working on and so came up with the following designs, the first of which is 100% complete and you can download it and throw it on your PS3 right now if you want to (i've already shown this to userfriendly who seemed to like it).
But thats not really the idea i came up with, it was to start with a relatively fresh design, and over the course of three or four future designs, morph the design into something completely different by way of age and destruction, so without further ado i present to you, ...

psnf.jpg

aniprevny.jpg

Aniom (720P Displays) - Aniom (1080P Displays)

And heres a Aniom Taiga.

aniomtaiga.png

anitaiprevny.jpg

Aniom Taiga (720P Displays) - Aniom Taiga (1080P Displays)

Just a bit of Q/A -
Q) How many stages will there be?
A) Currently there are 4 planned

Q) Why is there seperate versions for 720p and 1080p?
A) This is due to how the icons are integrated into the theme, in order to display in the correct line despite icon zoom (selected icons always 10% bigger), i have to use one pixel below center of the icon image (dead center is a subpixel for unselected on 720p, so they not only appear slightly blurred, but they end up out of alignment too, however because theres no subpixel level on 1080p due to the resolution, the icons display correctly and thus the pixel lower than center doesn't need to compensate for subpixel, this basically results in having to shift the background image up 2 pixels, an easy fix really.
On top of that, the 720p version is optimized for sharpest output at that resolution, rather than downsizing the 1080p background (which makes it slightly blurred).

Q) Love the icons, where did you get them / can i have them formy own backgrounds
A) Icons were all made custom for Aniom, i will be in the near future releasing a version with icons only, with all main icons done in the same style as the submenu icons, for anyone wanting to use them on their own backgrounds.

Got a question?, hit reply and ask.

Thanks to Picowatt for the inspiration to actually finish the thing and userfriendly for testing/bug finding​

twelve

I'm not dead
I forgot all about the themes you were working on.

Stage 2 looks amazing. Definitely going to use stage 1 for the time being.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
A finished theme? I don't believe it :scared: I like to be able to eyeball the XMB and indentify each subject/category on the main row so I probably won't be using this theme (I'm sticking to the Nature XMB theme and default background)

Colm

I saw this on your site the other day. Needless to say, I love it, and I'll install it later. loving the look for stage 2 as well.

Hellcat

Contributor
:eek: wow!

Stage 2 is wowow :D but Stage 1 is just being transfered to my PS3.... NICE WORK, man! Really nice work :)

Scorned

I can't see Stage 2 unfortunately, but that's because of my internet.

Otherwise, Stage 1 is jaw-dropping. I like the way you blended the wallpaper with the actual icons, its a bit more..."interesting" than the way others have tried.

Adiuvo

Stage one is wonderful. I finally found a replacement for Modus' themes.

Stage two is even better. Can't wait to see it when it comes out.

Nevada

i like the way you blended the wallpaper with the actual icons, its a bit more..."interesting" than the way others have tried.

That's one thing i aimed to do that other themes to date have somewhat overlooked, not to sound elitist but there's very few quality themes out there, many of which have the same icons cobbled together with different, often low resolution, backgrounds.
The closest I've seen thus far in terms of integrating the main icon set into a design is the occasional theme that sets up a bar across the horizontal and vertical, but such designs aren't all that involving and often obscure the wallpaper that's used, so my aim here was for it to be a proper fleshed out theme, that felt solid.
The sub icons were created with simplicity in mind, i am not yet sure if i should modify them for Stage 2, or if i should stick with (as in the preview), background and main icon set only and leave sub icons intact.
Another element of the design is to incorporate a specific space for the clock, due to the white background at the top the screen would have obscured it quite a lot had i not done so.

Not to keep droning on about the project or anything but I'd like to ask some input on theme sounds, with Stage 2 and things taking a heavily destroyed tone, would it be annoying if i took the default sound set and adjusted it to reflect the overall decay?, I tend not to touch the sounds normally as a lot of the few themes that have custom sounds, can be very, very annoying to use.
Also Scorned, if the preview image still doesn't work for you, I'll try hosting the next preview (in a couple hours) elsewhere so you can.

I think it's worth pointing out as a final note that Stage 1 purposely has a semi unrealistic edge to it, it isn't quite believable as being real, mainly as Aniom is intended to be an unexplained view of an otherworldly object, and the longer it spends exposed to the elements (each stage along), the more realistic it will become, already the jump between Stage 1 and Stage 2 is rather dramatic.

Seth

MD Party Room
I really like the stage 2 clock.

Scorned

That's one thing i aimed to do that other themes to date have somewhat overlooked, not to sound elitist but there's very few quality themes out there, many of which have the same icons cobbled together with different, often low resolution, backgrounds.
The closest I've seen thus far in terms of integrating the main icon set into a design is the occasional theme that sets up a bar across the horizontal and vertical, but such designs aren't all that involving and often obscure the wallpaper that's used, so my aim here was for it to be a proper fleshed out theme, that felt solid.
The sub icons were created with simplicity in mind, i am not yet sure if i should modify them for Stage 2, or if i should stick with (as in the preview), background and main icon set only and leave sub icons intact.
Another element of the design is to incorporate a specific space for the clock, due to the white background at the top the screen would have obscured it quite a lot had i not done so.

Not to keep droning on about the project or anything but I'd like to ask some input on theme sounds, with Stage 2 and things taking a heavily destroyed tone, would it be annoying if i took the default sound set and adjusted it to reflect the overall decay?, I tend not to touch the sounds normally as a lot of the few themes that have custom sounds, can be very, very annoying to use.
Also Scorned, if the preview image still doesn't work for you, i'll try hosting the next preview (in a couple hours) elsewhere so you can.

Well, don't push yourself too hard to put up the image, a TON of sites are blocked/not allowed to display images for now...When i get back to a better internet and my PS3 ill give you more in depth feedback if im still unable to view it.

Also, yeah thats what i was referring to when i meant "not as integrated". The whole Bar thing, overdone so many times, and at the same time its really nothing special. At first i was considering changing the wallpaper of the theme when i got it, but i looked at it some more and i really liked how well the wallpaper meshed with the actual theme that when i actually do get to try it, ill probably be keeping it (for a good amount of time, at least).

Sadly, its true, deprived of good themes, i usually end up using the same bland theme for months. This does look very nice though, something i actually won't mind having to keep for months if i have to.

And you shouldn't worry about droning on about the project...it is your thread and youre updating it, so either way its better for a viewer.

user friendly

Stage one is wonderful. I finally found a replacement for Modus' themes.

Stage two is even better. Can't wait to see it when it comes out.

Lol, yup. We're you sporting Cell theme white or black? He's got quite a few good ones.

Nevada, the "sub" icons (like the theme/accessory/etc.) are so nice, best I've seen yet. I would love that style for the hole theme, shit is clean.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Does the PlayStation Network icon always have to be the PlayStation Network icon? The main reason that I use the PlayStation Network theme with the default wave and background is because of icon uniformity.

Anyways, I added this theme yesterday night and it does look good, especially the sub-icons. I'm glad you did not use any new sounds since that is one of the biggest turn-offs of some themes I've grabbed from the Store.