• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Anonymous

Sleeet

So guys, what are your opinions on the topic of the group calling itself "Anonymous"?

Sometimes I feel that their actions are "appropriate" for situations, but other times it seems as though the actions are quite extreme. Like in the source article linked below, it seems as though they sent violent threats.

Then again, it's not really a fully cooperative group from what I've read - it's simply a group of individuals.

Most recent article I've read in regards to the group: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/02/anonymous-vs-hbgary-the-aftermath.ars

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I'm not a huge fan of what they did to HBGary but I have found their other operations to be rather comical.

Example:

[video=youtube;OZJwSjor4hM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZJwSjor4hM[/video]

MenaceInc

Staff Member
The beauty of Anonymous is that anyone can be anonymous.
The horrible bit of Anonymous is that anyone can be anonymous.

There has been some good things happen thanks to anonymous but the vast majority of it is just teenage assholes looking for a kick and causing trouble for no reason. One example is Jessi Slaughter. Did she deserve the amount of bullshit she got? Nah. Another is trolling Gamestop for Battletoads. Sure, it was a funny joke but it got old really quick and it just gave a bunch of teenagers a reason to be assholes.

It's a pity that a part of them almost ruins the efforts of the rest of anonymous.
If it wasn't for shit like that then anonymous would probably be taken more seriously by everyone else.

Adiuvo

The amount of negative things they do greatly outweigh the positive. They're not monitored, are accountable to nobody, and obviously don't have the maturity to act normal. While it may be nice that they occasionally go after groups that are normally untouchable they also abuse what they can do.

Anonymous is a great example of the vigilante group gone bad. People may have liked what they did initially but eventually the 'what if they...' people were right.

eldiablov

Contributor
This discussion seems pointless. Any person, regardless of their intellect, can act under the guise of Anonymous.

Bran

Yell
Good and bad, I think it's all amazing. It's all collective action with no structure or control.

Also I'd say anonymous is the root of people. Misguided or not, when it's vigilante justice, it is sweet.

Dan

Contributor
I respect them for their actions toward the Dusty case, and also acknowledge them for having the balls to stand up against Scientology.

LocutusEstBorg

Someone just randomly slapped a label on a bunch of internet DoS'ers. Since it appeared to have a deeper meaning, it went viral. It has no substance, AT ALL.

Secondly, software such has HBGary's is almost guaranteed to be a gimmick/near useless bloatware, just like all the other ridiculous vaporware, and to prove their worth in their field they MUST be able withstand such an attack.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Just heard that Anon has begun posting personal details of Sony execs, their address, marital status, whether they have kids, etc. They're also harassing the judge on the Hotz case.

It's one thing to attack servers in protest but when you start messing with someone's personal life, that's taking it way too far.

Bill

The beauty of Anonymous is that anyone can be anonymous.
The horrible bit of Anonymous is that anyone can be anonymous.
I don't think it can be explained better.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Anon is a lot like the herpes. Its around even though you cant see it, but one day youll wake up and all of a sudden its there... on your face like a terrible reminder of that fat hooker in Oklahoma whos butthole you ate a lollipop out of...

eldiablov

Contributor
Anon is a lot like the herpes. Its around even though you cant see it, but one day youll wake up and all of a sudden its there... on your face like a terrible reminder of that fat hooker in Oklahoma whos butthole you ate a lollipop out of...

There's nothing like a nice herpe to ruin a party.

Dan

Contributor
It's not Anonymous posting details, it's 'Sony Recon'.

Anonymous said:
Different operations are 'run' by different people and that it would be a mistake to assume that the same individuals are responsible for every action taken.

Quote from some article.