• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Apple new voice-enabled iPod shuffle

Seth

MD Party Room
3-11-09ipodshuffle2.jpg

Introducing VoiceOver,2 the feature that gives iPod shuffle a voice. With the press of a button, it tells you what song is playing and who’s performing it. It can even tell you the names of your playlists, giving you a new way to navigate your music

79.00 4gb.

iPod shuffle - Apple Store (U.S.)
What new?

Smaller size.More gb.
New headphones
Voiceover
built in playlist picker thingey.

It now even locks you in to apple headphones only now.Yaa for apple,now if only they add bluthooth to this stupid thing and I buy one today, I need a really good small wireless mp3 player.
139333-shufflecontrols_original.jpg

madsoul

apple really did an idiotic choice. what of you would want to plug your mp3 player into a speaker?? really retarded. and apples headphones are the worst piece of shit ever. even the new most expensive in ear with mic and controll sucks ass. the quality and feel is outstanding but as soon as you put on the music its fucking horrible for the price.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
I like the voice recognition. And yeah, the headphones idea is horrible. I personally use the iPod headphones, but it will turn off many other users who want to use their own.

Seth

MD Party Room
apple really did an idiotic choice. what of you would want to plug your mp3 player into a speaker?? really retarded. and apples headphones are the worst piece of shit ever. even the new most expensive in ear with mic and controll sucks ass. the quality and feel is outstanding but as soon as you put on the music its fucking horrible for the price.

We were wondering why the new voice-enabled iPod shuffle even has a standard 3.5mm headphone jack since it's controlled by proprietary headphones, and we just got the answer: non-Apple headphones will require a special dongle that includes the new three-button controller, and Apple says it's working with third parties to bring other compatible 'phones to market. Yes, Apple's cheapest iPod is now the most needlessly complex, and far from cost-effective if you want to use your own cans: assuming the adapter will cost between $20 and $30 like most other Apple accessories, you're looking at minimum $100 outlay for the new shuffle, and at that point you might as well pick up a $150 iPod nano, which is also VoiceOver-enabled in addition to having twice the storage, dongle-less controls, a screen, and numerous other features. We'll see if this thing is so tiny these concerns wash out when we get one in our hands, but does anyone actually feel like the numbers tip in favor of the shuffle here? We're all ears.

P.S.- Yes, we know $100 can get you any number of fine non-Apple players, we're just talking about Apple's price points. Feel free to suggest your favorite alternative, though!

Update: Apple called to clarify that the nano doesn't have the exact same VoiceOver feature, which is shuffle-exclusive; the nano does "spoken menus" but doesn't say track names as you skip around. We're getting a full list of differences between the two systems, we'll let you know if there's anything else major.

Still going to suck tho. I whouldent be shoekced if Apple moved this to the bigger ipods.It be nice if I can voice search threw these songs as well.

Seth

MD Party Room
I know I said if I can voice search threw these songs it be useful.Seeing as these headphone have a mic in there as well,but I know it cant do it.

twelve

I'm not dead
What's in the Box
* iPod shuffle
* Apple Earphones with Remote (no mic)
* iPod shuffle USB cable
* Quick Start Guide

soha

For anyone who's looking to buy this apple contraption, may I suggest the sansa clip? An 8gb model is the same price as a new 4gig shuffle. Sure I doesn't have those new things apple added to the shuffle, but it has an oled screen and twice the capacity in terms of storage.

twelve

I'm not dead
It's the size and lack of screen that makes me want one of these. Having it work with my mac out the box and having my music library already in itunes are just nice bonuses.

If people really wanted cheap they wouldn't consider an apple product ever.

Seth

MD Party Room
For anyone who's looking to buy this apple contraption, may I suggest the sansa clip? An 8gb model is the same price as a new 4gig shuffle. Sure I doesn't have those new things apple added to the shuffle, but it has an oled screen and twice the capacity in terms of storage.
I have one of those love it to death,plus if the clip ever breaks you can get a new one for cheap!

It's the size and lack of screen that makes me want one of these. Having it work with my mac out the box and having my music library already in itunes are just nice bonuses.

If people really wanted cheap they wouldn't consider an apple product ever.
I sure your aware of this as well,but sansa clip works right of the box on your mac as well,and all your music and be dragged and dropped from itunes playlist into finder..But hey the new ipod shuffle is still very cool and whouldent mind having one as well.

twelve

I'm not dead
I have one of those love it to death,plus if the clip ever breaks you can get a new one for cheap!

I sure your aware of this as well,but sansa clip works right of the box on your mac as well,and all your music and be dragged and dropped from itunes playlist into finder..But hey the new ipod shuffle is still very cool and whouldent mind having one as well.
Drag and drop requires me having to make a selection of music. The shuffle will choose a random selection everytime I tell it to sync.

I really think people are missing the point of the shuffle.

soha

Drag and drop requires me having to make a selection of music. The shuffle will choose a random selection everytime I tell it to sync.

I really think people are missing the point of the shuffle.

Oh no we get the point, Its just seems like a waste of money to some people...

twelve

I'm not dead
Oh no we get the point, Its just seems like a waste of money to some people...
It's only a waste of money if it's not what you want. If you want something that takes a selection of your music at random and will play it back at random then it's perfect.

If you want something that gives you absolute control then get a proper ipod or alternative media player.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
The 2nd gen Shuffle is just as small if you ask me, it's not much bigger and comes with a complete control set. I find that to skip a song you have to click twice and go to a previous you have to hit it 3 times - that's annoying to do. My Dad just clips the 2nd gen shuffle to his hat and has instant access to the controls and can do all the commands/tasks with one click. Also the voice over is a gimmick I feel. Sure there are time when I feel like I would like to know the name of the song, but I don't kill myself over it for not knowing.

Granite

Hardcore Prawn
To all of you worrying about having to use apple headphones i wouldnt worry, im sure tons of 3rd party headphones will come up sooner or later.

CASHMON3Y

Now this is when I would buy a different product other than Apple. Why would I pay the same price for an iPod THAT HAS NO SCREEN, when I can get another brands mp3 player for cheaper, with a screen. There is little to no reason anyone should buy a shuffle. There is almost no enticing features at all. Buy a Sansa or something if you really want a true, just mp3 player with little other features.