• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Apple TV jailbreak confirmed, done via same exploit as other iOS 4.1 devices

Seth

MD Party Room
The Shatter exploit that was discovered for iOS 4.1 devices has, predictably enough, been found to function on the latest Apple TV as well. Though a jailbreak fit for distribution is still brewing for all of Apple's iOS wares, this will be welcome news to folks interested in trying to add a little extra functionality to Apple's hockey puck of a media streamer. Then again, even the best of apps might not make up for it being a 720p media device in a 1080p world.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/28/apple-tv-jailbreak-confirmed-done-via-same-exploit-as-other-ios/

All I need now is Dlna and xvid support, and im picking this up.

Joey

Ok, can somebody help me understand something... People keep saying Apple can update the Apple TV to have apps, or we can jailbreak it and add apps. But the new Apple TV doesn't have any internal storage.

What the hell am I missing?

TeamOverload

I would assume it has some form of internal storage for the OS itself, as well as to cache the streaming HD movies. Not sure if anyone has torn this down yet to find out for sure, but I'd wager it probably has 8/16GB built in.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I would assume it has some form of internal storage for the OS itself, as well as to cache the streaming HD movies. Not sure if anyone has torn this down yet to find out for sure, but I'd wager it probably has 8/16GB built in.

There's absolutely no user-accessible storage on the Apple TV and the storage it does has is probably just enough for the OS and a bit more, so definitely not 8/16gb

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Didn't think about the streaming cache/buffer, but i still doubt it would be bigger than 8gb at that point. I would love someone to tear it down to find out, Apple is useless when it comes to these details. If I recall, it was rumored with 8gb+ storage so who knows

EDIT: From my understanding the streaming cache might just be put in RAM, eliminating the need for any kind of traditional storage

Nick

i dont really get what jailbreaking this can possibly open up more functionalities. "oh look! watch me play tetris on my TV!!!"

Joey

i dont really get what jailbreaking this can possibly open up more functionalities. "oh look! watch me play tetris on my TV!!!"

I think it would be used to expand functionality, like adding Hulu, or more codecs.

TeamOverload

Didn't think about the streaming cache/buffer, but i still doubt it would be bigger than 8gb at that point. I would love someone to tear it down to find out, Apple is useless when it comes to these details. If I recall, it was rumored with 8gb+ storage so who knows

EDIT: From my understanding the streaming cache might just be put in RAM, eliminating the need for any kind of traditional storage

Yeah, tear downs usually appear online pretty quickly, that's why I'm just shocked it hasn't been done yet.

TeamOverload

So that should be more than enough space to hold some apps if this does in fact get jailbroken. I'm going to keep this on my radar and see if it'll end up being worth the purchase.

Seth

MD Party Room
Once Dlna or xvid come hacks come it, I be all over this, I hate loading my wii( Downstiars) for media, even if it does a fine job at playing it. Also my little sister keep tossing my Netflix disk all over the place, good thing there free otherwise I be pissed.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
Once Dlna or xvid come hacks come it, I be all over this, I hate loading my wii( Downstiars) for media, even if it does a fine job at playing it. Also my little sister keep tossing my Netflix disk all over the place, good thing there free otherwise I be pissed.

Toss her around and see how she likes it.

I was gonna buy Apple TV, but I thought about it and I don't really have a reason. If it does something interesting once jailbroken then I'll reconsider it, even though hate jailbreaking my things.