• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.
  • If your profile is showing up as Not Ranked, please review our rules page and follow the appeal process detailed there.

Are rom patches allowed?

Yuber

Are rom patches generally allowed? I'm just asking ahead of time, because I couldn't find any information on it, and don't want to get banned if I do decide to use them.

Two of the patches I was thinking about using was either the English translation patch for Elnard (Super Famicom), or the "7th Saga Redux" patch for 7th Saga (Super Nintendo).

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Translation patches are allowed. The only potential issue I see is that after the game is patched RetroAchievements might not recognize it anymore, since awarding achievements in retro games requires scanning for specific offsets in memory that might be changed by the patch. In most cases it should be fine, just depends on how the patch modifies the original ROM.

You might want to check the RA forums to see if there are specific patching instructions for any of the games also.

Last edited: