• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Are these good specs for the laptop I want to buy?

lilspanyol

Hey guys ,

I've been looking for a good , affordable laptop for some time now , that can be used for school work , internetting, applications (Photoshop , MS Office), watching movies here and there , music en last but not least , a bit of gaming

ATM I'm on a realy low end pentium 4 laptop with a SiS RAID card (omg , I know :rolleyes: )
But yeah , that's how it is ..

Now I want a laptop

Since I don't really know how good 'high detail' is , I don't think I'll need it , if I can play on medium , I'm happy , if low , that so be it, I can't even play any games ATM

I asked an looked around a bit and found this laptop (my budget is 700

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
yeah that is a really good laptop, and the graphics card is perfect for playing those games

as far as resolution, it is sort of low, but you'll get better frame rates in games

Just remember that Laptops are not ideally suited for gaming. You will be able to play them, but don't expect to max them out, or get a decent frame rate. Apart from that, it's a pretty good laptop (Although it does hav dedicated memory, so that's a plus). The processor, on the other hand, while good seems less capable then the rest of your components. But it's a marginal differnece, and the performance may be negligable.

Regardless, very nice. Will definatley cater to your needs.

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
Just remember that Laptops are not ideally suited for gaming. You will be able to play them, but don't expect to max them out, or get a decent frame rate. Apart from that, it's a pretty good laptop (Although it does hav dedicated memory, so that's a plus). The processor, on the other hand, while good seems less capable then the rest of your components. But it's a marginal differnece, and the performance may be negligable.

Regardless, very nice. Will definatley cater to your needs.

the card is actually pretty capable, he should be able to max most things out as long as its not crysis

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
It appears to be better than my desktop, which can handle most games.

My desktop is a 2.2ghz dual core pentium as well(Same dealio). 3gb of RAM, and a 9800GTX+ GeForce GPU.

Yours appears to be better than mine, so I'd well assume you can play most games, ie TF2, Fallout 3, Oblivion, the whole 9 yards.

lilspanyol

Whoohoo , thanks guys ...

Will I be able to play Left for Death 2 and Modern Warfare 2? and what settings?
Now I hear it is such a good laptop , I want to know :p

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Whoohoo , thanks guys ...

Will I be able to play Left for Death 2 and Modern Warfare 2? and what settings?
Now I hear it is such a good laptop , I want to know :p

I would say that max settings on L4D2 and medium at least for MW2

If your games starts to lag a little. try IOBIT's Game Booster. It shuts down almost all the programs & services thats running on your laptop. it works great.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I would say that max settings on L4D2 and medium at least for MW2

To ensure a consistent framerate I would say medium-high on L4D2. Max would be pushing it.

If your games starts to lag a little. try IOBIT's Game Booster. It shuts down almost all the programs & services thats running on your laptop. it works great.

I recommend that as well. Very useful in preparing a PC for gaming, I lose about 400MiB of RAM, and it also shuts off programs like AV & uTorrent, so they don't mess with the in game settings, then when you're done, it restores it all.

Link

The lower resolution actually helps with the gaming aspect, you'll get higher framerates.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
I would stay away From Acer laptops. I don't lik'em.

Got really unlucky and got a really shoddy one that died after a year.

and for the equivalent of 1100 US dollars you can get a much better laptop I think. At least gaming wise. ASUS makes laptops around US 1000$ that have a GTX260 and a native resolution of only 1368x768 or something like that. Plus most new models come with Windows Seven Now

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Asus G71GX-RX05 specs and Laptop specifications - CNET Reviews

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

lilspanyol

I would stay away From Acer laptops. I don't lik'em.

Plus most new models come with Windows Seven Now

It's all personal preference , but what's so 'bad' with Acer? My PC monitor has never let me down , really good one ... Instead I have bad experiences with Dell ..

Anyone else that has bad exp. with Acer? Are they really that bad?

(btw , this laptop also comes with Windows 7 , if you read the first post you would know)

MenaceInc

Staff Member
It's all personal preference , but what's so 'bad' with Acer? My PC monitor has never let me down , really good one ... Instead I have bad experiences with Dell ..

Anyone else that has bad exp. with Acer? Are they really that bad?

(btw , this laptop also comes with Windows 7 , if you read the first post you would know)

I'd say the opposite to Trigun. I used to have a Asus laptop and the graphics card in it (ati 9600) always crapped out on me so I couldn't play any games on it really. Meanwhile my current left monitor is an Acer P223W and I love it.

LocutusEstBorg

The specs are good, but I wouldn't go with Acer as i've had nothing but bad experience with their products. Push for a better card as its presently a bit overpriced for those specs. Get a GTX 280M at least if you plan on playing MW2. You could get a decent Dell for the same price and they have good options for GPUs.

Moose

Meta Moose
@Torch, I have had a great experience with Acer. My laptop is still performing really well after almost two years. =P

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
I'm with torch. Never had a good experience with ACER, Buggy laptops, terrible laptop keyboards and touch pads, Bad motherboard , bad DC connection. -_-
A DVD/HD-DVD drive that barely worked.

I'll never buy an Acer laptop again. But I wouldn't not buy an acer monitor if it was decent enough. Of course monitors are a different story than Lappys

Go for at least a GTX 260M it will be worth it. Or even the 280 like torch said

LocutusEstBorg

@Torch, I have had a great experience with Acer. My laptop is still performing really well after almost two years. =P

I had an Acer monitor which kept turning off and was RMAed more than five times and never fixed. Had a CD-Rom that stopped reading anything. Had a 16x CD-RW that failed all burns above 4x back when they were really expensive. Had a laptop that had no drivers for the touch pad.