• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

"Bad Or Improperly Seated Ram"

Dan

Contributor
So my oldest laptop keeps getting these consecutive beeps on startup, and throughout. It runs fine, although a few times whilst booting, it has been stuck on "Checking NvRAM" which I guessed was hardware failure. I googled the beeping and after searching around I found out that it was Bad or improperly seated ram. How would I go about fixing this?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Have never seen this error before but have you tried removing the ram and putting it back in?

Dan

Contributor
I guess that would fix it, but how would I do that? :l

I also found something about taking a battery out of somewhere...? Then going into BIOS and doing something.

I don't know anything :(

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
There should be an area on the bottom of your laptop where you can unscrew the cover and access the RAM. When you see it you just need to pull two tabs out and pull out the ram

MenaceInc

Staff Member
NvRAM?
I'm assuming that this is BIOS related since IIRC, NvRAM is non-volatile so it is used to store BIOS settings.

What I'd recommend is look about the laptop for something that looks like a CR2032 battery, remove it for a minute or so then replace the battery. It's possible the battery is completely dead though.

Strange though since I thought most computers used CMOS to store settings for BIOS options...

Dan

Contributor
Ah, found it. God, that part was dirty and dusty. May as well give the whole thing a clean now. I'll leave it for a couple of minutes for the electricity remaining to go. And yes, I've taken the battery out. I'll repost when I'm done.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM EST ----------

Nope, still doing it :(

Colm

The OS doesn't matter if it's the nvram, but it would help if we knew the motherboard I guess..