• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PC Battle.net Compromised, Blizzard Says Investigation Is Ongoing

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
starcraft-2-1216.jpg

Blizzard's issued a security announcement on Battle.net - the interconnected network that powers its Starcraft, Diablo, and Warcraft family of titles - stating that an intrusion has been identified by the company's security team.

Currently, there's no evidence to suggest that "financial information such as credit cards, billing addresses, or real names were compromised." A list of email addresses for Battle.net users was accessed in all regions apart from China.

Continue reading...

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Considering the move to the Real-money auction house in D3 this was more or less going to happen at some point. Hopefully it's nothing too damaging.

This part infuriates me the most:

We also know that cryptographically scrambled versions of Battle.net passwords (not actual passwords) for players on North American servers were taken.

I'm tired of having my password stolen. This is about the 4rd - 5th time I've had my password compromised by a site.... I'm running out of passwords!

EDIT: And this happened on August 4th, and a ton of information was compromised. Great job Blizzard...really good job. Security Questions and Answers were also compromised (and those weren't hashed).

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I'm surprised they left everything running when re-securing it. I mean, that's understandable if it's a minor thing but that doesn't seem to be the case here, considering what was accessed.

Also, yeah, 5 days to notify users... they probably wanted to determine the extent of the breach but still, seeing as Battle.net stores financial data, the turnaround time should have been quicker.