• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Beginner's Guide To PSP v5.0+

kathy025

Live fast. Die young.
Thanks for this! It's gonna be the first of the many guides I'll be reading. :)

Hellcat

Contributor
Very nice, after all these fakes and false alarms a very nice thing for a change. :)

And quite well done, like the theming of it :)
Very detailed with lot's of images to show stuff.... *thumbsup*

Once thing I have for you to maybe add though ;)
About the "how do I know if I have a TA-088v3": Usually in the battery tray, when you take out the battery, there's also a sticker with an "Date-Code".
8B or less (like (8A, 7D, 7C or such) it's "hackable", Date-Code 8C or higher (8D, 9A and so on) are 88v3.

I mocked up a quick sample image of what I mean - it's from my 1k PSP, but it applies to 2k and 3k just the same:

img-00127_datecodesample_j-r-thumb.png

[ click here for larger version (640x480) ]

kathy025

Live fast. Die young.
Comments on Guide:
Very well written, didn't get to define the most common term used in the entire guide though - "homebrew". Pretty easy to Google but considering it's a "beginner's guide", it should include that most basic information. So according to Wiki, "homebrew" is the hacking process itself? Can we interchange homebrew/hacking just the same?

But overall, a very informative read, props to the author/s. Gives good overview and useful links. ;)

@Hellcat:
Thanks for the tip buddy! Although mine is the JPN edition and the sticker doesn't look like it says anything about a "Date Code". I did check the packaging though and it is labeled "C". So I'm not on TA-088v3 right?

imported_ruyor

Very nice, after all these fakes and false alarms a very nice thing for a change. :)

And quite well done, like the theming of it :)
Very detailed with lot's of images to show stuff.... *thumbsup*

Once thing I have for you to maybe add though ;)
About the "how do I know if I have a TA-088v3": Usually in the battery tray, when you take out the battery, there's also a sticker with an "Date-Code".
8B or less (like (8A, 7D, 7C or such) it's "hackable", Date-Code 8C or higher (8D, 9A and so on) are 88v3.

Thanks for the complement :w00t: I forgot about the Date code thing, US PSP-2000 and 3000 don't have them :( I'll add it in the next version ;)

kathy025 said:
Very well written, didn't get to define the most common term used in the entire guide though - "homebrew"

I didn't think I'd have to, but I'll add it in the next version ;) Also, thanks for the comments :w00t:

Hellcat

Contributor
Hm, didn't know US and JP PSPs don't have the datecode....
Well, learned another thing today :)

Explains why some ppl just couldn't find it when I asked them for it xD

imported_ruyor

v6.2 is done, see first post :cool:

kathy025

Live fast. Die young.
Thanks for the update! This guide effectively taught me the core basics of PSP hacking. ;)

imported_ruyor

Updated to v6.3 ;)

imported_ruyor

I use scribd on my website here, but I haven't uploaded 6.3 yet.

Why is your v6.3 upload so glitchy? It looks horrible and the links don't work. Did you edit it before uploading it? Here's my upload of v6.2

I should have the official scribd v6.3 before tomorrow ;)

---Edit---

Here's the official scribd v6.3: BGTP v6.3 Scribd

imported_ruyor

Updated to v6.5.5