• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Best AntiVirus and Why?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
This thread hasn't received much attention lately and was wondering if anyone's opinions have changed on the subject. I think it has been pretty much the same over the year span. I myself just purchased Nod32 Antivirus (v3.0 but upgrade to 4.0) from NewEgg. I used an illegal copy on my old computer several years ago and fell in love with it (although it required constant new username/passwords to be entered to stay up-to-date or custom virus databases).

I've tried out Microsoft Security Essentials for several months now and it has done a very nice job, although at times there has been some slowdown with my system when it was doing something in the background (more or less at random times), although that problem seems to have subsided.

The one think I love about MSE is it rarely ever bothers you and the license doesn't have to be renewed like Avast! and has a nicer interface (Avast seriously needs to roll out their new look soon).

I'm interested to see how small the footprint is for Nod32 compared to other AV's I've used since I haven't used it in several years. Right now MSE is using about 80mb of memory while Avast! seems to be running at under 20mb on my laptop (didn't know it was that small...wow, well I'm officially impressed). If it wasn't for the nagging of the "Your Virus Database has been Updated" message (I probably can disable the whole popup entirely) and new version requests then I probably would've stuck with it. I'll report back on Nod32 when I get my SSD in a few days.

Riorio99

Double team with Avast! and Malwarebytes (free versions.)

Avast! is lightweight, and aside from the little blue sphere on the task bar you don't know its running, until you stumble across something it doesn't like, when it stops whatever it is dead in its tracks.

Malwarebytes has saved 3 computers in my house from Vundo and various bits of spyware. Were I not such a cheapskate, I would buy Malwarebytes and use it as my only antivirus.

LocutusEstBorg

I still think Kaspersky Anti Virus is the best (when configured properly). When installing choose Custom Installation and uncheck EVERYTHING except for File Anti-Virus and Program Kernel & Scan Tasks. These are the only two you need to provide real-time protection. You're basically safe from everything else with UAC. Any non-UAC screwup can be fixed with System Restore.

KAV only consumes 8700KiB of RAM on my PC and zero CPU usage.

Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS) comes with a firewall to allow/block programs. However with Vista/7, there is a Firewall API built into the kernel that can perform blocking without any extra filters like KIS requires. Theres a tiny app called Windows 7 Firewall Control that uses this API which I use instead of Kaspersky's firewall since it practically has zero overhead.

A KIS installation with everything checked probably renders the PC impervious to almost any attack.

P.S.
I have some new Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 keys (Both Single user and 3-use license). http://www.kaspersky.com/kaspersky_internet_security
I'd be willing to trade for something that I can't buy over here.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
I am a huge fan of MSE! It is using 45mb ram, 0 cpu, catches everything thats came at it yet. It is one of the few 'install and forget' free av's out there.

Colm

I use AVG and have MSE as a backup. Both free, both powerful, both have very little effect on performance (except AVG during a scan).
I also have Spybot S&D run a scheduled scan.

I still think Kaspersky Anti Virus is the best (when configured properly). When installing choose Custom Installation and uncheck EVERYTHING except for File Anti-Virus and Program Kernel & Scan Tasks. These are the only two you need to provide real-time protection. You're basically safe from everything else with UAC. Any non-UAC screwup can be fixed with System Restore.

KAV only consumes 8700KiB of RAM on my PC and zero CPU usage.

Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS) comes with a firewall to allow/block programs. However with Vista/7, there is a Firewall API built into the kernel that can perform blocking without any extra filters like KIS requires. Theres a tiny app called Windows 7 Firewall Control that uses this API which I use instead of Kaspersky's firewall since it practically has zero overhead.

A KIS installation with everything checked probably renders the PC impervious to almost any attack.

P.S.
I have some new Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 keys (Both Single user and 3-use license). http://www.kaspersky.com/kaspersky_internet_security
I'd be willing to trade for something that I can't buy over here.

Interesting, I may give Kapersky a whirl after NOD32, and comapre the performance overhead then. TBH, I classified Kapersky in the same league as Norton, which I absolutely despised. Kapersky's got a good reputation for accuracy, so I may like it more.

LocutusEstBorg

Interesting, I may give Kapersky a whirl after NOD32, and comapre the performance overhead then. TBH, I classified Kapersky in the same league as Norton, which I absolutely despised. Kapersky's got a good reputation for accuracy, so I may like it more.

KAV is nothing like Norton. Norton has reduced to crapware. If you install KAV like I mentioned above its extremely lightweight (8MiB RAM).

EvilSeph

Administrator
You clearly haven't tried Norton recently, then.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team

:laugh:

I was waiting for you to come in and say that, totally anticipated that one :) @Torch: It actually has improved a lot in the past year, it's worth a look at least.

EDIT: I highly recommend looking at AV-Comparatives - Independent Tests of Anti-Virus Software ... and their comparative reviews, they cover most major browsers (including all the ones we have been discussing). They just released a performance review with MSE coming out on top surprisingly. It's very interesting to see how the latest Avast and MSE compare to the paid products, almost took me by surprise when I saw how well they did in blocking the threats compared to paid software (both beat Nod32 in the Dynamic Threat test I believe).

LocutusEstBorg

The last one I used was 2003. After that it was such bloatware that I decided it was beyond reform. A recent one came with my EEEPC and I felt it was too simplified and made custom configuration annoying.

I using AVG and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

galaxyswan

I got zenok online backup, software against malware and Antivirus in one. You don't need two programs running at the same time. It's great.

Ace Rimmer

Been using Malwarebytes coupled with Windows Defender for the last two years of this 4 year old PC build, works great and had no issues from Malware, bugs, trojans, firewall breaches, etc. only issues have come from Win 10 updates themselves

Ace Rimmer

plus both have firewall protection and so does the Router (ASUS RT-AC3100) im splitting off the main cable modem from (separate LAN and 2 Wifi Networks 5.0 and 2.4 Ghz all Pass protected and locked down)

IntensoFOX

Kaspersky,
because he, as a Russian antivirus, is not in the political implications of the West, has greater freedom of action and more thorough and accurate verification.

Sachifus

You are the best antivirus. Don't pay for softwares that will only slow down your PC.

I've used AVG, Avast, Malwarebytes, in the past then found Comodo which has a built-in firewall. The only thing is sometimes little things could cause an app to be isolated.