• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Best AntiVirus and Why?

Clint

Clintoris
I don't use an antivirus. But keep in mind if you have a virus, don't do anything important on the computer because once it's been infected, you can't trust the computer again unless you format and reinstall. How do you really know it's completely removed?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I don't use an antivirus. But keep in mind if you have a virus, don't do anything important on the computer because once it's been infected, you can't trust the computer again unless you format and reinstall. How do you really know it's completely removed?

Please install an AV..right now ;) Most of the time you will be affected by the virus and actually have no clue you were infected (not all viruses aim to disrupt your computer directly, but rather hide). Please take the necessary precautions to protect yourself and install an AV

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
I wish there was an antivirus that would just do a scan when I want, then just dissapear.

avira, avast, nod32, kaspersky(if you disable a few things)

any av that DOESNT have that option fails, and thus, most have the option

Moose

Meta Moose
Yea the arical does have some flaws in it...But sill makes valiant posts...
The Best Antivirus - Common Sense v1.0 - Software - Seopher.com

@Moose...That pointless there are tons of virus that are still unknown virus and malware and disable your dam antivirus but still make it look like it running... What are you going to do then...

It alsmost like saying it ok to shoot me I got a vest to protect me..

When that happens to me or there are valid and true accounts written about situations like this on the internet, then I will believe that I should uninstall my AV and use common sense. Why you think AV + Common sense is worse than just using common sense is beyond me. If anything it's downright foolish.

Savagefreak

$ ./savage.sh
The very best AV?
Your brain.
Don't download anything that you don't trust.
Only download from reputable sources.
And if you get a virus, system restore to the rescue.

Seth

MD Party Room
System restore does a horrible job at removing a virus....

PsypheR

Best commercial ones as of today: Kaspersky, NOD32, and Norton AV 2009 (yes, all the previous Norton AV's were slow, bloated to hell and really tarnished their reputation. They completely rewrote the application and I have to say I am very impressed with it. Installation is quick, uninstallation doesn't leave junk behind, and the interface is nice and simple. Give the NAV 2009 trial a try before you go "zOMG NORTON?! WTF!", so you can understand why they received raving reviews :))

Best free one? I've only used AVG and I hadn't received a virus that crippled my system while I used it. It always blocked viruses whenever they appear (usually downloading, uh, junk from the Internet).

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
i thought installing an AV was common sense.

Seth

MD Party Room
Yea I know...But really if your going to be a shit and not the 10 bucks..(Well maybe not in your part of the world where they over change you) But I get pissed when one downloads software for 5-10 bucks when it worth buying..

Tho I still feel I dont need a anti virus....BTW I did install Nod32 and have 0 virus...Btw Mosse I like to you download that new facebook virus and see if you anti virus will protect you...

Spoiler it wont lol///

_Syn

I know you might not apply to this, but my anti-virus is called "Shaw Secure". Shaw, being the name of the company. It is also a firewall (disables Windows Firewall) and Parental Control (locking of the browser at certain times). I find it very straightforward and easy to use. That's my two cents!

twelve

I'm not dead
Yea I know...But really if your going to be a shit and not the 10 bucks..(Well maybe not in your part of the world where they over change you) But I get pissed when one downloads software for 5-10 bucks when it worth buying..
Sure it's $10 but if this thread has shown anything it's that there are free alternatives available. I think all these download software should have a basic version available for free (like AVG and Avast) and not just for a trial period like NOD32. Surely if there's no disc or packaging required then there's minimal cost to them, they can even market it like AVG do (they really don't recommend the free version at all, to the point that it's very hard to find on their website).

Altho to be honest windows should have AV built in like it does with the Firewall and Malware protection (Windows Defender). After a clean install it's so annoying to log in the first time and see it pop up saying "Your computer might be at risk", hardly a good sign of the OS's integrity. It doesn't even need to be a good AV program, just something that makes consumers feel protected the first time they turn on their PC (like most prebuilt PC and laptops come with a trial version of McAffee or Norton so they don't get the "computer is at risk" warning).

wally

Developer
I personally don't use Antivirus on my Mac however if I need to scan Windows stuff its ClamXAV for me.

Otherwise for PC's - Avast, definately as a Free version, AVG seems to be bloatware to me these days.

Commercial - Either Kaspersky or the one that work uses 'Norman AV'